Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 63 R2 Avanti parts

Hi to all,

New here to the forum and sdc, was looking for opinions/parts for my newly purchased 63 R2 Avanti. Just to give you all some background on this car, its been partially restored however, the Einstein that owned it before the previous owner blew up the orig. engine, so they pulled it and installed....yep you guessed it! A 6.2 detroit diesel! Well to make a long story short, the car rolled off the line with an automatic but was changed over to a 4 speed using a hurst shifter assy when the 6.2 got dropped in it. The guy put factory air in it but the car is missing the side pieces for the evap unit to be complete. I believe i have located all the pieces parts i need to put this thing together as its kind of a basketcase, but my delimma is... do i keep the a/c and try to locate the side pieces for the evap box or do i go back to original and pull the evap and attendant hoses as well as condenser and attempt to locate the a/c delete panel for the console that belongs there (which i have been been unable to locate as well)?
    Thanks in advance! Ryan

If all that A/C stuff inside the Car is Factory correct, I would do some networking with Local and other SDC Members, a wanted Ad etc. to find the missing side Panels, because even if you find a Blank-out Plate (they ARE out there) you would still need the Side Panels with Carpet.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by Aslaveofchrist View Post
      Hi to all,

New here to the forum and sdc, was looking for opinions/parts for my newly purchased 63 R2 Avanti. Just to give you all some background on this car, its been partially restored however, the Einstein that owned it before the previous owner blew up the orig. engine, so they pulled it and installed....yep you guessed it! A 6.2 detroit diesel! Well to make a long story short, the car rolled off the line with an automatic but was changed over to a 4 speed using a hurst shifter assy when the 6.2 got dropped in it. The guy put factory air in it but the car is missing the side pieces for the evap unit to be complete. I believe i have located all the pieces parts i need to put this thing together as its kind of a basketcase, but my delimma is... do i keep the a/c and try to locate the side pieces for the evap box or do i go back to original and pull the evap and attendant hoses as well as condenser and attempt to locate the a/c delete panel for the console that belongs there (which i have been been unable to locate as well)?
      Thanks in advance! Ryan
      I have a N.O.S pair of the evap. side panels from an Avanti ll. If you are interested, call me.
      John Brissette
      502 773 05 nine two

Comment

If this truly was a '63 R2, air conditioning was not an option, there wasn't room for it.
        "Every man I meet on the street is superior to me in some respect, and from that I can learn."
        R.W. Emerson

Comment

Ryan,

There a lot un-said in your post. To give a little better counsel, give us a bit more info.

From what we know, the car started life as an R2 with an automatic. Being an R2, the factory didn't install a/c since the engpine bay was already cramped and the airflow was at a premium to cool the engine bay.

Since then, the car has had a diesel engine with a stickshift swapped in place.

So, in the end, what is your goal? Here are a couple of ideas to mull over, hopefully we can help you find the answer.

If you want to fully return the car to stock, a trophy toy so to speak, pull the a/c and put the blanking plate in.

On the other hand a/c, even as basic as the system in an Avanti is a help. Now being a stickshift helps reduce the heat infiltration too.

And considering all the mods having been done to the car, I wouldn't lose too much sleep over keeping the car original, even though I tend towards being a purist.

And while the factory officially didn't install a/c in R2's, it has been done. In fact, there has been an R2 a/c pump and mounting bracket listed on Ebay out of Texas. Should you be planning on putting an R2 engine in later, the a/c can be used. Just don't use the original surge tank on the cooling and put the battery in the trunk.

Ken Buchanan

Comment

Welcome and congrats on enlivening a dark winter day! Just as in the 1930s "Superman" comic books, there are parallel universes; here on Earth One, a 6.2 diesel 4-speed is the last possible combination I'd ever consider swapping into an Avanti. Only photos are going to convince me it's real.

However, your car, your money, your decision. Do you like how it now runs and drives? Does your interest and your budget even possibly stretch to returning it to an R2 automatic? As mentioned, it's easy to keep the AC. If not a R2, the 350"-400 SBC is somewhat OEM and the way there is inexpensive and well-documented.

jack vines
            PackardV8

Comment

How about ugrading to a Duramax? New ones this year put out 1000 ft lbs torque stock!!!
              Bez Auto Alchemy
              573-318-8948
              http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
                How about ugrading to a Duramax? New ones this year put out 1000 ft lbs torque stock!!!
                Yeah, right, Bez. ;>) Starting a 60/40 weight distribution already, the Avanti really needs another 400# on the nose; Duramax/Allison weighs 1165#.

jack vines
                PackardV8

Comment

Thanks to all of you who've replied! First let me say that if i can figure out how to do it i will post a pic of this 6.2 hanging in the hole of my car...also...i have been leaning toward going to a 318 poly head/torqueflite set up in it simply because my budget doesnt allow for trying to find what belongs in there at this point. I am however planning on eqipping my poly head with a powerdyne supercharger, and i picked up a factory stude carb bonnet pretty cheap. I talked to a guy that is about 80 miles from me that has a stude salvage yard, as i have other projects in the works, but he indicated he had 1 avanti thats an R1 car but its ownership is in question so may not be any parts available there. I know the R2 cars were never equipped with air and i have seen where people have used the sanden compressor and fabbed brackets..but i tend to be kinda a purist myself...i guess im thinking someday i might be able to afford to put the powerplant that belongs in it back in...so if i did that would i be committing a mortal sin by leaving the air even though it wasnt so equipped? I dont know that i care one way or the other i guess thats why i was opening this issue up for discussion...

Comment

Also i wanted to say Packardv8...i bought the car not running so i have yet to feel the wind in my wiskers, but certainly anyone who has been alive on this planet for more than 12 minutes wouldnt put a 6-2 detroit in anything let alone an avanti! I tend to lean toward the chrysler side of life so small block chebbys dont interest me one bit. I've done my fair share of repowers before but the man who did this to this beautiful car should have been strung up in my opinion!

Comment

I'm pretty sure I have the console side panels for non A/C Avanti as well as the blank front plate, if you decide to go that route.

Comment

Well, that's an interesting conversion! My thoughts, for what they are worth, no one wants to drive an Avanti without A/C, so keep what A/C you have in there and get the A/C side panels. Since you haven't driven yours-diesel or not, be prepared for a "foot warmer". The firewall and floor pan have no resistance to heat from the engine, trans, or exhaust. You may decide to actually turn on the A/C with the heater in the winter!! That may be an exaggeration, but even if you do, someday, find and restore it to the original R2 configuration, I don't think having added A/C will hurt the car's value at all.

Comment

Avanti Diesel

I would go with the 352 Packard motor

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
                          Yeah, right, Bez. ;>) Starting a 60/40 weight distribution already, the Avanti really needs another 400# on the nose; Duramax/Allison weighs 1165#.

jack vines

Comment

Poly 318??? Not worth the time to make it fit! (And I'm a Mopar guy) Why not make it simple and do a SBC!

Comment

Working...
                            X