Mystery solved re Studebaker luggage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mystery solved re Studebaker luggage

Quite some time ago someone posed the question here as to who made the Studebaker luggage offered as accessories in the 40's and 50's and I do not think the question was ever answered. Believe the documents below will answer the question. The first two attachment is the 6 1/4 X 9 1/2" 1950 trifold accessory advertising folder. The last is an invoice from my local dealer (Hodak Motors - Kankakee, Illinois) re the order. Note the date, Dec. 1948, (1949 model year) and notation near the bottom re the Indestructo Luggage Co. of Chicago.

Click image for larger version

Name:	luggage 1950 outer copy.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	138.1 KB
ID:	1753277Click image for larger version

Name:	luggage 1950 center copy.jpg
Size:	137.4 KB
ID:	1753278Click image for larger version

Name:	luggage invoice copy.jpg
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	1753279
    Last edited by Studebaker Wheel; 12-28-2016, 09:29 AM.
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Now to find a 'Ship Direct' from Halibrand on a Studebaker purchase order document!!

Craig

Comment

Thanks Richard.
      That was me asking about who made the luggage.
      You sure have a nice paper collection.
      I never heard of the Indestructo Luggage Company before.

Comment

I did a google search on found only this tidbit:

INDESTRUCTOYes, these trunks were very hard to break or damage. Of course, they looked awful, but they lasted. Responding to a more thrifty America, Indestructo competed with Neverbreak, Nevermar, Nevercrack, Travel-Well, and a few others to make trunks that had no appeal but would last forever. 1920s. Don't spend too much for these.

Nothing on the company or what happened to them. There were several references on Ebay for items for sale.

Bob Miles
        Tucson AZ

Comment

The Indestructo luggage was made by the National Veneer Products Company of Mishawaka indiana. I'll try looking some more when I get home. Merry Christmas.
          I'd rather be driving my Studebaker!

sigpic

Comment

These extra Tough Luggage Cases and Sets are Totally in keeping with Studebaker's policy of always Buying the BEST, longest lasting items from reputable, as close to Local as possible Co's.

Just like the Purchased Car and Truck Parts were from the best of the Best: Dana Spicer, Borg Warner, Wagner Lockheed, PPG, Bendix/Stromberg, US Steel, Budd Corp., Nason Finishes, Unity Lighting, Autolite, Firestone, Timkin etc.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Funny... my Mother hated the cars (Stude-Clunkers), but loved Indestructo luggage. I still have three pieces of Mum's old bags (and several "airline" types she had too). One is a Samsonite, and the other two are Indestructo, all three are small. Due to the prices I've seen on the 'Bay, it has been a temptation to sell them. She used to pack them so full, it took me and my brother to stand on them so that Mum could latch the case. One could get a hernia carrying luggage my Mother packed. The larger bags' handles gave out in the early sixties and were replaced by leather belts. My Dad fixed everything. Anything that was worn out got fixed and worn some more. Those bags were looking pretty ratty when Mum finally threw them out in the late seventies.
              Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
              K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
              Ron Smith
              Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                These extra Tough Luggage Cases and Sets are Totally in keeping with Studebaker's policy of always Buying the BEST, longest lasting items from reputable, as close to Local as possible Co's.

Just like the Purchased Car and Truck Parts were from the best of the Best: Dana Spicer, Borg Warner, Wagner Lockheed, PPG, Bendix/Stromberg, US Steel, Budd Corp., Nason Finishes, Unity Lighting, Autolite, Firestone, Timkin etc.
                The more I learn about Studebaker's quality and history, I fully agree with what Rich just said.
                Too bad more people didn't realized Studebaker was a top quality car, well built of quality materials, and beautiful body lines to top it off.

Comment

[QUOTE=TWChamp;1029841]The more I learn about Studebaker's quality and history, I fully agree with what Rich just said.
                  Too bad more people didn't realized Studebaker was a top quality car, well built of quality materials, and beautiful body lines to top it off.

Yes it is too bad, but the people that do realize that Studebaker is a top quality car, well built and beautiful are the ones that matter and count. That's Us

I do remember there was in either Motor Trend or another magazine is the letters section that someone wrote in that the car buying public were a bunch of clods. I guess some things really haven't changed in over 50 years.

Bob Miles
                  Tucson AZ

Comment

Clods... perhaps. More likely Cretins. The vast majority of the buying public looks on an automobile as an appliance. Buy it, use it up, throw away and start over with a new one. What with the smog laws et al, these people have learned to take care of their car. The cost of not doing so can be steep. Back in Studebaker's day though, cars were relatively cheap and easy to trade in every few years. Some people didn't even change the oil. Just drive the thing till it drops and then replace it.

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                    Ron Smith
                    Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Back in the late '70's I was a line mechanic at a Ford dealership.Late one afternoon a wrecker shows up with a '71 or'72 LTD.An old guy pops out of the passenger side of the wrecker,nearly in tears and says"I just don't understand it.This has been the best car I have ever owned,I never even had to change the oil!"I looked at the odometer it was showing 130+ k.The wrecker driver says look at the oil pan.I do.It has a hole about the size of both my fists where the pan bolts to the block,a piece of crank and rods were plugging the hole and the oil looked like grease and molasses mixed,no drops on the floor,just a big blob hanging out of the block/pan......First and only time I ever saw anything like that.

Comment

Now, that's classic, but not the first time I've read where someone never changed their oil. In fact I knew a guy that used to drive until the oil light came on, then continue to drive to town where he's buy a quart of oil and dump it in. His cars didn't last long, and he destroyed some nice ones that way.

Comment

My late brother owned a transmission shop in Chico,California. He thrived on the fact that the average American motorist never serviced their automatics as recommended in the owners manual. Seems old habits are hard to break. Transmission shops are still doing a brisk business nationwide.

Comment

I believe I was one of the original inquiring about the luggage. It is good to get to the bottom of this.....now to find some.
                            1947 Studebaker M-5
                            1946 Studebaker M-5
                            1948 Studebaker Land Cruiser
                            1961 Studebaker Lark 4-dr. Sedan
                            1951 Studebaker Land Cruiser

Comment

Originally posted by 61LaRk4dr View Post
                              It is good to get to the bottom of this.....now to find some.
                              A few have been looking for 'factory luggage' for quite a while now: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ebaker-Luggage

As I suggested in another post, the luggage usually got kept long after the car was sold, and still may be found at a local garage sale. http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...t=garage+sales

I think I like the 1941 style the best with the Art Deco look.

Craig

Comment

Working...
                              X