California Plates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

http://cgi.ebay.com/1951-California-...QQcmdZViewItem

Nice set of plates. The guy wants $400 . The plates are not clear. They are a nice $20 set...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $1755.45)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
    1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Nice set of plates. The guy wants $400 . The plates are not clear. They are a nice $20 set...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Tom - Valrico, FL

Tom - Bradenton, FL

Comment

Tom
        ebay is a good source but the big issue is.. " are they DMV clear"

in 1951 old CA plates tend to match up with current CA 2007 MC license plates

here's an original set starting at $400 in VT -- you have to take a chance

if the will clear by the time you buy them -restore them and get them to the DMV for approval -- the CA system sucks

John
        John
        Folsom CA

"Lone Dog ... No Woof"

www.cruisinnews.com

www.SacramentoSwapMeet.com

Comment

Tom
          ebay is a good source but the big issue is.. " are they DMV clear"

in 1951 old CA plates tend to match up with current CA 2007 MC license plates

here's an original set starting at $400 in VT -- you have to take a chance

if the will clear by the time you buy them -restore them and get them to the DMV for approval -- the CA system sucks

John
          John
          Folsom CA

"Lone Dog ... No Woof"

www.cruisinnews.com

www.SacramentoSwapMeet.com

Comment

Same plates. If you go to the site to check available personalized plates, it will tell you if the number is used or not. There is another guy selling two plates, but using the same picture for both plates. The number 1R 20 297 is clear. Unfortunately, there is only one plate. Many others listed as clear are not.

Tom - Valrico, FL

Tom - Bradenton, FL

Comment

Same plates. If you go to the site to check available personalized plates, it will tell you if the number is used or not. There is another guy selling two plates, but using the same picture for both plates. The number 1R 20 297 is clear. Unfortunately, there is only one plate. Many others listed as clear are not.

Tom - Valrico, FL

Tom - Bradenton, FL

Comment

HELL, I'll sell a pair of original California black plates for a '64 Commander, with car attached. (If the price is right!)

Comment

HELL, I'll sell a pair of original California black plates for a '64 Commander, with car attached. (If the price is right!)

Comment

quote:Originally posted by sumf

2-dr? Stick?

Tom - Valrico, FL

Tom - Bradenton, FL

Comment

2-dr? Stick?

Tom - Valrico, FL

Tom - Bradenton, FL

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Swifster

2-dr? Stick?

Tom - Valrico, FL
                        I think the car in question would be a 4 door, but I could be wrong~ it's happened before... [:0] [V]

StudeDave [8D]
                        StudeDave '57
                        US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                        SDC Member since 1985

past President
                        Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                        San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                        San Diego Chapter SDC
                        North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Swifster

2-dr? Stick?

Tom - Valrico, FL
                          I think the car in question would be a 4 door, but I could be wrong~ it's happened before... [:0] [V]

StudeDave [8D]
                          StudeDave '57
                          US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                          SDC Member since 1985

past President
                          Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                          San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                          San Diego Chapter SDC
                          North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeDave57

Well, as I'm not a 4-door guy, I'd only be able to give $30-$40 for the car, er, pair of plates [:0][)][}]

Tom - Valrico, FL

Tom - Bradenton, FL

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeDave57

Well, as I'm not a 4-door guy, I'd only be able to give $30-$40 for the car, er, pair of plates [:0][)][}]

Tom - Valrico, FL

Tom - Bradenton, FL

Comment

Gee, I don't know anyone who has ever done this....I'm sure that there is someone out there making "display purposes only" plates that look remarkably like the original. Not likely that any such plate would ever be shipped directly to a buyer in California, just need an out of state friend. Of course they are never to be usued in place of an original plate - but what are the chances that the random CA DMV clerk will ever know the difference. Just make sure that both sides of the "display purposes only" plate are painted so that it isn't an obviously newly made aluminum repop.

That is a beauty of a Kaiser, I really love that color! Could you ask your friend what brand and color of red that is?

Thomas

Long time hot rodder
                                Packrat junk collector
                                '63 Avanti R2 4 speed

Comment

Working...
                                X