What is a golden hawk 400 worth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is a golden hawk 400 worth

I was wondering what the value of a unrestored golden hawk 400. One of the 10 show cars built february 1957.

CONDITION, Condition, condition??? Rusted out needing everything, and all New sheet Metal, MAYBE $500.00 to $1000.00

With a $75,000.00 Full restoration, $75,000 to $100,000.00
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

One would have to prove that it actually was a 400 and not a clone also.

The production order would verify that.
      RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
      4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
      5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
      60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
        One would have to prove that it actually was a 400 and not a clone also.

The production order would verify that.
        Bob Palma has a list of all of the serial numbers for the GH 400's. A quick call/email to him would answer that question without waiting a month for a build sheet.

The 400's are worth more than a regular GH, for sure.

Comment

StudeRich is most likely correct with those latest figures, considering the asking price for a 'regular' Golden Hawk seems to be around the $65,000 mark, recently.

More on the 400 here: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...-400-Questions

Craig

Comment

Right.

For starters, all ten show cars were Tiara Gold and Arctic White. So if you are looking at a car you can "paint forensic" document as being any other combination, it cannot be a "Show Car 10" Golden Hawk 400. Also, the 10 Show Cars were built on either February 12 or 13, 1957. So if documentation exists for a given car that it was built, delivered or registered before those days, or built after those days, such documentation would also disqualify it from being a Show Car 10.

Two of those ten are accounted for, so eight are still "out there" to be discovered or confirmed dead. Scrap and salvage laws were so lax for so long (i.e., titles being saved for documentation or other records kept) that one or more of the lost eight were probably crushed. It really is one of those things "we'll never know."

Personally, I can't help but think there are more of them to be found....and hope they are in my lifetime. BP
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I am pretty sure this is not a clone. it has the bob husva delivery sheet with the build sheet. factory order 45501. I think I have one of the 10. I am thinking of restoring and just needed incentive to do it. On the destination it says : special show.
              I am wondering if all 10 went to the car autoroma shows

Comment

[QUOTE=cabforward;1027462]I am pretty sure this is not a clone. it has the bob husva delivery sheet with the build sheet. factory order 45501. I think I have one of the 10. I am thinking of restoring and just needed incentive to do it. On the destination it says : special show.
                I am wondering if all 10 went to the car autoroma shows[/QUOTE

It sounds like you may actually have one of the missing show cars! Contact Bob Palma to confirm the serial number, he can put you in touch with Tom Lawlis. Would love to see some photos.
                Personally we have an odd duck, appears to be a factory "400" with too early of a number to be a show and it isn't one of the production cars. We plan on hopefully spending some time searching the archives while in South Bend for the meet this year, see if we can dig up a tie to the factory installation for our Hawk.

- - - Updated - - -

Comment

Originally posted by cabforward View Post
                  I am pretty sure this is not a clone. it has the bob husva delivery sheet with the build sheet. factory order 45501. I think I have one of the 10. I am thinking of restoring and just needed incentive to do it. On the destination it says : special show.
                  I am wondering if all 10 went to the car autoroma shows
                  Is there any chance that your car was once owned by the late Nollie Hinton in northeast Florida? I remember visiting Nollie once with my granddad (15+ years ago) and he had an unrestored GH 400 inside a car hauler. He never got a chance to restore it before he passed away. I have no idea what happened to it.

Comment

We're there any show GH in 56 and 58 models

Comment

Of course there were always Large City "Car Shows" in all the Major Cities in the U.S. and all the Mfg's. even a few Foreign ones, would be idiots if they did not show off their New Top of the Line and other Models every year at each one.

Usually they would be ordinary Production Cars you could buy as many as you wanted though. Assembled and Detailed as "Show Jobs".

They "were" out there, just very few documented remaining after 60 years.
                      StudeRich
                      Second Generation Stude Driver,
                      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

[QUOTE=cabforward;1027462]I am pretty sure this is not a clone. it has the bob husva delivery sheet with the build sheet. factory order 45501. I think I have one of the 10. I am thinking of restoring and just needed incentive to do it. On the destination it says : special show. [QUOTE]

Jeff, Factory Order #45501 should indeed be one of the ten Golden Hawk 400 show cars; one of the eight "unaccounted for" ones, to be exact!

Please forward your car's Serial Number to me for confirmation. If you don't want it published, just send me the number via a PM through the forum. I can confirm if it is the car we think it is without publicly disclosing the serial number if you prefer. BP
                        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

The difference in price between a 'regular production' 1957 Golden Hawk, and a '57 Golden Hawk '400', assuming both cars are in near identical condition, would be approx +30% on the '400'!

Comment

Working...
                          X