No announcement yet.

Tools made in the USA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd bet the first few tools are a typo of some kind. I found the end wrench sets elsewhere on the net for $200-$500, still darn expensive. They are not a Sears company, here's some info

http://www.armstrongtools.com/about/index.jsp

JDP/Maryland
    63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
    spent to date $54664,75
    64 R2 GT (Sid)
    spent to date $62,439.30
    63 Lark 2 door
    51 Commander
    39 Coupe express
    39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

I think all of us have a mix of tools....good, bad, cheap, expensive. One would be shocked how many good, expensive tools one can get for a cheap price from a pawn shop. Half of my tools are from pawn shops.

Comment

I think all of us have a mix of tools....good, bad, cheap, expensive. One would be shocked how many good, expensive tools one can get for a cheap price from a pawn shop. Half of my tools are from pawn shops.

Comment

I think it's correct that the only wrenches made in the USA are by Danner in NC. I was in their plant a few years ago, and they were making Craftsman and about a dozen other brands.

Comment

I think it's correct that the only wrenches made in the USA are by Danner in NC. I was in their plant a few years ago, and they were making Craftsman and about a dozen other brands.

Comment

My local pawn shops have become smarter. my friend Robyn is responsible for sorting out all the "good stuff" and putting it on ebay. She'll set aside a few goodies for me, but I still don't get a shot at all the brand name tools.

JDP/Maryland
              63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
              spent to date $54664,75
              64 R2 GT (Sid)
              spent to date $62,439.30
              63 Lark 2 door
              51 Commander
              39 Coupe express
              39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

My local pawn shops have become smarter. my friend Robyn is responsible for sorting out all the "good stuff" and putting it on ebay. She'll set aside a few goodies for me, but I still don't get a shot at all the brand name tools.

JDP/Maryland
                63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
                spent to date $54664,75
                64 R2 GT (Sid)
                spent to date $62,439.30
                63 Lark 2 door
                51 Commander
                39 Coupe express
                39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

I have a set of these Armstrong wrenches, pretty tough. Have received all sorts of beatings from me in the last 10 years. My Dad gave them to me, he got them when he was still working at an oil refinery. I'm partial to snap-on, yet to break any of their stuff. Lately Craftsman has dissapointed me, broke a ratchet after a few uses, a screwdriver tip broke on another recent purchase, and a nutbreaker fractured on the second try. it's fine to replace, but what a a pain. I bought an upright compressor from them, the motor went south after only 2 years of light use. Cost me nearly as much to repair/replace parts as buying a new one....

Comment

I have a set of these Armstrong wrenches, pretty tough. Have received all sorts of beatings from me in the last 10 years. My Dad gave them to me, he got them when he was still working at an oil refinery. I'm partial to snap-on, yet to break any of their stuff. Lately Craftsman has dissapointed me, broke a ratchet after a few uses, a screwdriver tip broke on another recent purchase, and a nutbreaker fractured on the second try. it's fine to replace, but what a a pain. I bought an upright compressor from them, the motor went south after only 2 years of light use. Cost me nearly as much to repair/replace parts as buying a new one....

Comment

The 1/2" and 1/4" drive SK socket sets that I have been using since 1969 have served me well through countless engine, tranny, axle, and hitch changes, never have had even a single piece break or requiring replacement.
                      Over the decades I have used and broken more of the cheap Chinese crap than I can even begin to number, whenever it happened I brought out my SKs and the problem was solved. Now after enough smashed and slashed experiences I have decided that I really want to keep my digits intact. I do not even attempt to use any of the larger sized cheap "discount" sockets.
                      When I go to flea markets, swap meets or pawn shops, I always keep my eyes peeled for those good old-time SK tools, occasionally I am able to pick up a socket or two for only a buck or so, secure in the knowledge that it will outlast my remaining years several times over.

Comment

The 1/2" and 1/4" drive SK socket sets that I have been using since 1969 have served me well through countless engine, tranny, axle, and hitch changes, never have had even a single piece break or requiring replacement.
                        Over the decades I have used and broken more of the cheap Chinese crap than I can even begin to number, whenever it happened I brought out my SKs and the problem was solved. Now after enough smashed and slashed experiences I have decided that I really want to keep my digits intact. I do not even attempt to use any of the larger sized cheap "discount" sockets.
                        When I go to flea markets, swap meets or pawn shops, I always keep my eyes peeled for those good old-time SK tools, occasionally I am able to pick up a socket or two for only a buck or so, secure in the knowledge that it will outlast my remaining years several times over.

Comment

My early 1960s S-K socket set has performed well, also. I did manage to break a 3/8 X 4 extension. I had a long breaker handle on it trying to break a lug nut loose on a wrecked car. The extension sheared. I took the two pieces into an S-K dealer and they replaced it for free. The replacement extension was built noticeably "beefier", it doesn't neck down as much.

Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                          Studebaker enthusiast much longer
                          Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

My early 1960s S-K socket set has performed well, also. I did manage to break a 3/8 X 4 extension. I had a long breaker handle on it trying to break a lug nut loose on a wrecked car. The extension sheared. I took the two pieces into an S-K dealer and they replaced it for free. The replacement extension was built noticeably "beefier", it doesn't neck down as much.

Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                            Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

I wish I knew of a local S-K dealer because I too have some old S-K tools that you can have when you pry them from my cold, dead fingers (mostly purchased by my grandfather and great-grandfather.) If the tools they are making today are of similar quality I would gladly pay 2x or more of what Sears gets for similar Craftsman tools today. I also got quite a bit of old Craftsman stuff that has given me no problems, but I have heard the complaints again and again.

nate

--
                              55 Commander Starlight
                              http://members.cox.net/njnagel
                              --
                              55 Commander Starlight

Comment

I wish I knew of a local S-K dealer because I too have some old S-K tools that you can have when you pry them from my cold, dead fingers (mostly purchased by my grandfather and great-grandfather.) If the tools they are making today are of similar quality I would gladly pay 2x or more of what Sears gets for similar Craftsman tools today. I also got quite a bit of old Craftsman stuff that has given me no problems, but I have heard the complaints again and again.

nate

--
                                55 Commander Starlight
                                --
                                55 Commander Starlight

Comment

Working...
                                X