Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rockne10
    replied
    I've been both a buyer and seller on eBay. As a seller, I post swift feedback if I receive swift, clear payment, usually before the buyer has received an item. I'm a little miffed at the sellers who don't leave feedback until, and unless, they've received a positive. It just seems infantile. Only my opinion and now I'll go back to talking Studebakers.

I'll only buy Stude parts at auction if they are not readily available from our great SDC vendors.

Leave a comment:

• rockne10
    replied
    I've been both a buyer and seller on eBay. As a seller, I post swift feedback if I receive swift, clear payment, usually before the buyer has received an item. I'm a little miffed at the sellers who don't leave feedback until, and unless, they've received a positive. It just seems infantile. Only my opinion and now I'll go back to talking Studebakers.

I'll only buy Stude parts at auction if they are not readily available from our great SDC vendors.

Leave a comment:

• Swifster
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by Gordy911

I recently had a bad experience also with a SDC member. I had just purchased my hawk and the carb was giving me problems and I knew from po that it was an issue I got one from member off ebay and paid top dollar 250 for a 2bbl carb. It was pretty much junk and couldnt be used. Not wanting to cause problem because this club has been so good for me as a resource I just bit the bullet and everytime I think about it I get a little miffed.It just goes to show you that you need to not let your guard down even if it is a member when dealing with ebay. And if you leave them bad refrences they can do same for you. They really protect the seller and the buyer is sometimes just sol. Off the soap box and back to work..there I feel better..
    Gordy, what I sold you was a rebuildable carb. It ran when pulled out of the car. The engine had sat a few weeks. I don't know of anyone who would buy a 40+ year old carb and not take the time to rebuild it.

For the record, after Gordy tried running the carb as purchased, he finally tore the carb down and found a small colony of fire ants had started making a home in it. There was a 6 to 8 week period where the engine sat covered outside the shop that the engine was located at. There was no indication of ants anywhere on the engine (and I have photos of the engine). There was no indication of ants in the intake either. After rebuilding the carb, there was a stumble because Gordy installed the accelerator pump dry instead of soaking it first.

Gordy and another bidder took turns outbidding each other and it sold for $258! I swear I never thought it would bring more than $75. These carbs have issues with warping, and it was listed as good condition with no warping. And there was no complaint of fuel coming out of the seams. As Gordy wasn't completely happy, I offered to by the carb kit and never got a solid response on the cost of the kit. And if anyone cares, Gordy left positive feedback.

I am not a business. Items I've sold on Ebay have been things I don't plan on using, like one would at a garage sale. I have 100% positive feedback because I try to be as honest as possible with my discriptions. There was no attempt to deceive anyone. If anyone would like to check out my feedback, I'm 'tallen1964' on Ebay http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAP...me=STRK:ME:UFS. The item in question is http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=200146694704. This will probably be dropped soon because it will be 90 days. I also have all the exchanged e-mails if someone cares to read them.

Look, R1 and R2 carbs go for $125-$175. I can't control someone elses emotions (and it takes to bidders to get this far) to pay this kind of money for a rebuildable carb. Even if the ants were not there, the accelerator pump still would have been dried out from sitting. This is common sense. Do I owe a refund after the buyer tears into the carb on his own? I don't think so. I think there was an accurate discription. I e-mailed a few on this site to see if I was out of bounds. All said buyers remorse. Some suggested offering to buy the carb kit, which I did. Gordy, tell me how much the carb kit is and I'll send you a refund on the kit tomorrow.

I told Gordy more than once I didn't want any hard feelings over this and tried to be reasonable. I now know one guy I won't deal with under any circumstances. Others that I've dealt with have been great. I think Gordy needs to use some common sense when buying something that's used. You know what the real kicker is? Because Gordy mentioned he was on the board, I sent him the carb without waiting for payment. He actually had the carb before sending me payment. He obviously didn't see any ants either...

Leave a comment:

• Swifster
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by Gordy911

I recently had a bad experience also with a SDC member. I had just purchased my hawk and the carb was giving me problems and I knew from po that it was an issue I got one from member off ebay and paid top dollar 250 for a 2bbl carb. It was pretty much junk and couldnt be used. Not wanting to cause problem because this club has been so good for me as a resource I just bit the bullet and everytime I think about it I get a little miffed.It just goes to show you that you need to not let your guard down even if it is a member when dealing with ebay. And if you leave them bad refrences they can do same for you. They really protect the seller and the buyer is sometimes just sol. Off the soap box and back to work..there I feel better..
    Gordy, what I sold you was a rebuildable carb. It ran when pulled out of the car. The engine had sat a few weeks. I don't know of anyone who would buy a 40+ year old carb and not take the time to rebuild it.

For the record, after Gordy tried running the carb as purchased, he finally tore the carb down and found a small colony of fire ants had started making a home in it. There was a 6 to 8 week period where the engine sat covered outside the shop that the engine was located at. There was no indication of ants anywhere on the engine (and I have photos of the engine). There was no indication of ants in the intake either. After rebuilding the carb, there was a stumble because Gordy installed the accelerator pump dry instead of soaking it first.

Gordy and another bidder took turns outbidding each other and it sold for $258! I swear I never thought it would bring more than $75. These carbs have issues with warping, and it was listed as good condition with no warping. And there was no complaint of fuel coming out of the seams. As Gordy wasn't completely happy, I offered to by the carb kit and never got a solid response on the cost of the kit. And if anyone cares, Gordy left positive feedback.

I am not a business. Items I've sold on Ebay have been things I don't plan on using, like one would at a garage sale. I have 100% positive feedback because I try to be as honest as possible with my discriptions. There was no attempt to deceive anyone. If anyone would like to check out my feedback, I'm 'tallen1964' on Ebay http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAP...me=STRK:ME:UFS. The item in question is http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=200146694704. This will probably be dropped soon because it will be 90 days. I also have all the exchanged e-mails if someone cares to read them.

Look, R1 and R2 carbs go for $125-$175. I can't control someone elses emotions (and it takes to bidders to get this far) to pay this kind of money for a rebuildable carb. Even if the ants were not there, the accelerator pump still would have been dried out from sitting. This is common sense. Do I owe a refund after the buyer tears into the carb on his own? I don't think so. I think there was an accurate discription. I e-mailed a few on this site to see if I was out of bounds. All said buyers remorse. Some suggested offering to buy the carb kit, which I did. Gordy, tell me how much the carb kit is and I'll send you a refund on the kit tomorrow.

I told Gordy more than once I didn't want any hard feelings over this and tried to be reasonable. I now know one guy I won't deal with under any circumstances. Others that I've dealt with have been great. I think Gordy needs to use some common sense when buying something that's used. You know what the real kicker is? Because Gordy mentioned he was on the board, I sent him the carb without waiting for payment. He actually had the carb before sending me payment. He obviously didn't see any ants either...

Leave a comment:

• Vance
    replied
    Yes that is the problem with Ebay on feedback. If you get ripped off and leave a negative on the seller, they will turn right around and leave you a negative as a buyer and no way to defend yourself. After the negative for you, you have a problem with future buying and selling and you did nothing but report a fraud seller.

Leave a comment:

• Vance
    replied
    Yes that is the problem with Ebay on feedback. If you get ripped off and leave a negative on the seller, they will turn right around and leave you a negative as a buyer and no way to defend yourself. After the negative for you, you have a problem with future buying and selling and you did nothing but report a fraud seller.

Leave a comment:

• Gordy911
    replied

62 GT Hawk
    84 vette
    31 Ford Pickup
    2005 Maxima
    2006 CTSV
    Gravely 17hp Pro
    Gravely Walker 10HP

Leave a comment:

• Gordy911
    replied

62 GT Hawk
    84 vette
    31 Ford Pickup
    2005 Maxima
    2006 CTSV
    Gravely 17hp Pro
    Gravely Walker 10HP

Leave a comment:

• Roscomacaw
    replied
    Probably, she thought that if they were never used, they were good to go. This person being a member of SDC and owning Studes does not guarantee they have an intimate knowledge of parts. Not trying to defend this person - only pointing out possibilities. In my years of dealing with Ebay, I've gotten a stinky deal as both seller and buyer. I've even had folks gripe that they got a bogus deal from me. We've always worked it out tho.
    Thing is, there's TOO MANY good folks to deal with to paint them all with one bad experience.[:I]

Miscreant adrift in
    the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe

Leave a comment:

• Roscomacaw
    replied
    Probably, she thought that if they were never used, they were good to go. This person being a member of SDC and owning Studes does not guarantee they have an intimate knowledge of parts. Not trying to defend this person - only pointing out possibilities. In my years of dealing with Ebay, I've gotten a stinky deal as both seller and buyer. I've even had folks gripe that they got a bogus deal from me. We've always worked it out tho.
    Thing is, there's TOO MANY good folks to deal with to paint them all with one bad experience.[:I]

Miscreant adrift in
    the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe

Leave a comment:

• Mark57
    replied
    I've bought quite a few things on e-bay, so far without problem - knock on wood![:0] However, they do seem to have a pretty good problem resolution system and if you bought via PayPal, access to some insurance. If nothing else, you can leave appropriate feedback to warn other potential customers. I have also bought parts directly from at least 1/2 dozen Stude Vendors always without incident and found the service and speed to be great.[8D] I must agree with StudeRich, however, that I would be suspect of NOS "rubber" parts as by definition they are at least 41+ years old. Most of the minor repairs I am making to my truck are as a result of rubber bits "breaking down" and I know that most of them are only half that age, so there's another clue. I hope at the end of the day you are not too inconvenienced, and your project goes well.

<h5>Mark
    '57 Transtar
    3E-6/7-122
    </h5>
    [img]

Leave a comment:

• Mark57
    replied
    I've bought quite a few things on e-bay, so far without problem - knock on wood![:0] However, they do seem to have a pretty good problem resolution system and if you bought via PayPal, access to some insurance. If nothing else, you can leave appropriate feedback to warn other potential customers. I have also bought parts directly from at least 1/2 dozen Stude Vendors always without incident and found the service and speed to be great.[8D] I must agree with StudeRich, however, that I would be suspect of NOS "rubber" parts as by definition they are at least 41+ years old. Most of the minor repairs I am making to my truck are as a result of rubber bits "breaking down" and I know that most of them are only half that age, so there's another clue. I hope at the end of the day you are not too inconvenienced, and your project goes well.

<h5>Mark
    '57 Transtar
    3E-6/7-122
    </h5>
    [img]

Leave a comment:

• Vance
    replied
    Regarding the cracked rubber,it was a rear main seal kit. I purchased on Ebay a bearing set and the seller advised me that she had many other engine parts and I told her what I needed and she then sold me the other items off Ebay.
    Yes after this, I repurchased another main bearing seal kit from a good supplier listed in the advertisments of our magazine.

Leave a comment:

• Vance
    replied
    Regarding the cracked rubber,it was a rear main seal kit. I purchased on Ebay a bearing set and the seller advised me that she had many other engine parts and I told her what I needed and she then sold me the other items off Ebay.
    Yes after this, I repurchased another main bearing seal kit from a good supplier listed in the advertisments of our magazine.

Leave a comment:

• rusty nut garage
    replied
    Having played with cars and tractors of different makes, our STUDEBAKER vendors are by far some of the best to deal with. Ask around for some testimony and you'll get a long list of trustworthy vendors.
    I think that there is a format thru the SDC to hold vendors responsible for bad dealings. It might be no more than not allowing them to vend and advertise thru the club, but eventually they will go out of business. Word travels fast (bad news usually) on the other hand be sure to brag about the good dealings you receive also.
    The studebaker world is small compared to brand X and bad vendors thankfully don't last long.
    Russ

quote:Originally posted by Vance

Having been a member of another type of auto club and buying parts from members of that club for my car, I never had any member sell me bad parts.
    As a fairly new member of the Studebaker club, I purchased a Studebaker and needed some engine parts to rebuild the cars engine. I found some of the parts on Ebay and after checking the seller history out and found she was a member of the Studebaker drivers club and owned several Studebakers, I sent her payment for five different engine parts. When I received the parts they were all in non use condition with rust and old cracked rubber. I asked to return and the member told me no refund or return. I am out 155.00 on this member. This is when Greed takes over integrity.
    When I see her at a National meet, I am sure she will hide her face in the crowd.
    I have purchased quite a few other parts this year from members and found everyone else to be of the highest integrity.
    Russ Shop Foreman "Rusty Nut Garage"
    57 SH (project)
    60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X