No announcement yet.

Buying parts from our members on ebay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well let me tell you a story without naming names. Now doesn't that sound interesting? Well I bought a part off of ebay and the seller is a member of this forum. I was happy with the price I paid for the item he thought otherwise that the other bidder got the price way over what the part was worth. He sent me the part with cash back saying it sold for alot more than it was worth. So there is a lot of great people out there. And we know who you are. So pat yourself on the back for a job well done. Cause sometimes we have to do that for ourselves.

Mabel 1949 Champion
    1957 Silverhawk
    1955 Champion 4Dr.Regal
    Gus 1958 Transtar
    1955 President State
    Fresno,Ca
    Mabel 1949 Champion
    Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
    Gus 1958 Transtar
    The Prez 1955 President State
    Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
    Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
    Fresno,Ca

Comment

I gave up offering money back to foolish bidders after loosing a car sale by so doing. The car went for 3K over my reserve and I told the high bidder to take a grand off his check. In doing that, he was convinced the car was a piece of crap and backed out of the deal. I relisted the car and it found a happy home for just a bit less then the first time.

JDP/Maryland
      63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
      spent to date $54664,75
      64 R2 GT (Sid)
      spent to date $62,439.30
      63 Lark 2 door
      51 Commander
      39 Coupe express
      39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

I gave up offering money back to foolish bidders after loosing a car sale by so doing. The car went for 3K over my reserve and I told the high bidder to take a grand off his check. In doing that, he was convinced the car was a piece of crap and backed out of the deal. I relisted the car and it found a happy home for just a bit less then the first time.

JDP/Maryland
        63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
        spent to date $54664,75
        64 R2 GT (Sid)
        spent to date $62,439.30
        63 Lark 2 door
        51 Commander
        39 Coupe express
        39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JDP

Usually, if something goes for way over what it should, I pick up the shipping.

[img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/R-4.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64L.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64P.jpg[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/53K.jpg[/img=right]Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia
          '53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
          '64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
          '64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
          Museum R-4 engine
          Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
          '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JDP

Usually, if something goes for way over what it should, I pick up the shipping.

[img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/R-4.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64L.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64P.jpg[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/53K.jpg[/img=right]Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia
            '53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
            '64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
            '64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
            Museum R-4 engine
            Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
            '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

In over 300 transactions on EBay, I only got taken on a part once. Never received the part or any responses from the seller. Ebay closed down the site, but I bet this person just reopened under a different ID. It was for $9.50 and it was a HONDA part. I guess you can not expect much when a Studebaker person is buying Japanese parts. I never paid by check again! It was a cheap lesson.

Comment

In over 300 transactions on EBay, I only got taken on a part once. Never received the part or any responses from the seller. Ebay closed down the site, but I bet this person just reopened under a different ID. It was for $9.50 and it was a HONDA part. I guess you can not expect much when a Studebaker person is buying Japanese parts. I never paid by check again! It was a cheap lesson.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by wally

So Swifster, couldn't you make it right with the buyer(gordy) by sending them a rebuild kit(since you admit after the fact that it should be rebuilt), and refunding at least some of their money, just to keep the peace, and maintain your rep as a good ol' boy? Even at that, you'd still have gotten a pretty fair price--way more than the $75 you expected-- out of an old two-barrel that most folks would've pitched. Lets face it: Ebay(and auctions in general)can make fools out of all of us. I've heard it said here more than once: It is more about the People, than it is the Cars.
                  John, I offered to pay for the rebuild kit. See my post above.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $1755.45)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                  1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

quote:Originally posted by wally

So Swifster, couldn't you make it right with the buyer(gordy) by sending them a rebuild kit(since you admit after the fact that it should be rebuilt), and refunding at least some of their money, just to keep the peace, and maintain your rep as a good ol' boy? Even at that, you'd still have gotten a pretty fair price--way more than the $75 you expected-- out of an old two-barrel that most folks would've pitched. Lets face it: Ebay(and auctions in general)can make fools out of all of us. I've heard it said here more than once: It is more about the People, than it is the Cars.
                    John, I offered to pay for the rebuild kit. See my post above.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Tom - Valrico, FL

Tom - Bradenton, FL

Comment

Don't want to stir that pot of bees up but being new to this hobby you really are not sure what things go for. Having bought Corvette parts for last 20 years they are all over the place. Key thing was I never mentioned the name and left favorable remarks as was part my problem for paying so much but I wanted to get this on the road asap at least so the misses would know it runs and could take her for ride once in while.our newest addition a Nissan Maxima so now with 7 cars and a2 car garage and workshop thats only 20x20 I am looking for another place and put up a large pole barn for workshop and storage. sorry if I offended anyone and lets face it you have to be buyer savvy no matter what they belong to.I was stupid and got burned. Let it go..I did but i have refunded money to people when it was approp.

62 GT Hawk
                      84 vette
                      31 Ford Pickup
                      2005 Maxima
                      2006 CTSV
                      Gravely 17hp Pro
                      Gravely Walker 10HP

Comment

Don't want to stir that pot of bees up but being new to this hobby you really are not sure what things go for. Having bought Corvette parts for last 20 years they are all over the place. Key thing was I never mentioned the name and left favorable remarks as was part my problem for paying so much but I wanted to get this on the road asap at least so the misses would know it runs and could take her for ride once in while.our newest addition a Nissan Maxima so now with 7 cars and a2 car garage and workshop thats only 20x20 I am looking for another place and put up a large pole barn for workshop and storage. sorry if I offended anyone and lets face it you have to be buyer savvy no matter what they belong to.I was stupid and got burned. Let it go..I did but i have refunded money to people when it was approp.

62 GT Hawk
                        84 vette
                        31 Ford Pickup
                        2005 Maxima
                        2006 CTSV
                        Gravely 17hp Pro
                        Gravely Walker 10HP

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Swifster

Gordy, tell me how much the carb kit is and I'll send you a refund on the kit tomorrow.
                          And the cost of the carb kit was....?

Tom - Valrico, FL

Tom - Bradenton, FL

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Swifster

Gordy, tell me how much the carb kit is and I'll send you a refund on the kit tomorrow.
                            And the cost of the carb kit was....?

Tom - Valrico, FL

Tom - Bradenton, FL

Comment

All I get from the thread was to put a $100 BIN, on my used 2 barrels so they won't sell for more then a restored carb would bring. It's the main reason I sometimes end a auction early to sell to someone that I'm fairly sure I'll make happy. If I have two bidders fighting it out and one is new to the hobby asking about all the dash lights on a car working, and another is a wrench turner that just wants to know if the cars body is solid and it drives, I'll sell to the later. far better to find a happy home for a car or part then to disappoint a aggressive bidder.
                              In the case of the carb in question I'd never pay that kind of money, but if i did, I'd just get a giggle out of the ants found while kitting the thing. When I got Caesar I must have found a few dozen things installed incorrectly or missing, but as in the case of carb ants, the PO was clueless about the issues. Had I bought the car on ebay and paid a lot more, I may have been less cheerful about the warts that I found but life is too short to obsess about unpleasant surprises, especially when you can expect to get pleasant ones down the road.

JDP/Maryland
                              63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
                              spent to date $54664,75
                              64 R2 GT (Sid)
                              spent to date $62,439.30
                              63 Lark 2 door
                              51 Commander
                              39 Coupe express
                              39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

All I get from the thread was to put a $100 BIN, on my used 2 barrels so they won't sell for more then a restored carb would bring. It's the main reason I sometimes end a auction early to sell to someone that I'm fairly sure I'll make happy. If I have two bidders fighting it out and one is new to the hobby asking about all the dash lights on a car working, and another is a wrench turner that just wants to know if the cars body is solid and it drives, I'll sell to the later. far better to find a happy home for a car or part then to disappoint a aggressive bidder.
                                In the case of the carb in question I'd never pay that kind of money, but if i did, I'd just get a giggle out of the ants found while kitting the thing. When I got Caesar I must have found a few dozen things installed incorrectly or missing, but as in the case of carb ants, the PO was clueless about the issues. Had I bought the car on ebay and paid a lot more, I may have been less cheerful about the warts that I found but life is too short to obsess about unpleasant surprises, especially when you can expect to get pleasant ones down the road.

JDP/Maryland
                                63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
                                spent to date $54664,75
                                64 R2 GT (Sid)
                                spent to date $62,439.30
                                63 Lark 2 door
                                51 Commander
                                39 Coupe express
                                39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

Working...