X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swifster
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by wally

So Swifster, couldn't you make it right with the buyer(gordy) by sending them a rebuild kit(since you admit after the fact that it should be rebuilt), and refunding at least some of their money, just to keep the peace, and maintain your rep as a good ol' boy? Even at that, you'd still have gotten a pretty fair price--way more than the $75 you expected-- out of an old two-barrel that most folks would've pitched. Lets face it: Ebay(and auctions in general)can make fools out of all of us. I've heard it said here more than once: It is more about the People, than it is the Cars.
    John, I offered to pay for the rebuild kit. See my post above.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $1755.45)

Leave a comment:

• Harvey
    replied
    In over 300 transactions on EBay, I only got taken on a part once. Never received the part or any responses from the seller. Ebay closed down the site, but I bet this person just reopened under a different ID. It was for $9.50 and it was a HONDA part. I guess you can not expect much when a Studebaker person is buying Japanese parts. I never paid by check again! It was a cheap lesson.

Leave a comment:

• Harvey
    replied
    In over 300 transactions on EBay, I only got taken on a part once. Never received the part or any responses from the seller. Ebay closed down the site, but I bet this person just reopened under a different ID. It was for $9.50 and it was a HONDA part. I guess you can not expect much when a Studebaker person is buying Japanese parts. I never paid by check again! It was a cheap lesson.

Leave a comment:

replied
    quote:Originally posted by JDP

I gave up offering money back to foolish bidders after loosing a car sale by so doing. The car went for 3K over my reserve and I told the high bidder to take a grand off his check. In doing that, he was convinced the car was a piece of crap and backed out of the deal. I relisted the car and it found a happy home for just a bit less then the first time.
    Usually, if something goes for way over what it should, I pick up the shipping.

[img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/R-4.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64L.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64P.jpg[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/53K.jpg[/img=right]Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia
    '53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
    '64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
    '64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
    Museum R-4 engine

Leave a comment:

replied
    quote:Originally posted by JDP

I gave up offering money back to foolish bidders after loosing a car sale by so doing. The car went for 3K over my reserve and I told the high bidder to take a grand off his check. In doing that, he was convinced the car was a piece of crap and backed out of the deal. I relisted the car and it found a happy home for just a bit less then the first time.
    Usually, if something goes for way over what it should, I pick up the shipping.

[img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/R-4.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64L.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64P.jpg[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/53K.jpg[/img=right]Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia
    '53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
    '64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
    '64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
    Museum R-4 engine

Leave a comment:

• JDP
    replied

JDP/Maryland
    63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
    spent to date $54664,75
    64 R2 GT (Sid)
    spent to date $62,439.30
    63 Lark 2 door
    51 Commander
    39 Coupe express
    39 Coupe express (rod)

Leave a comment:

• JDP
    replied

JDP/Maryland
    63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
    spent to date $54664,75
    64 R2 GT (Sid)
    spent to date $62,439.30
    63 Lark 2 door
    51 Commander
    39 Coupe express
    39 Coupe express (rod)

Leave a comment:

• Anne F. Goodman
    replied
    Well let me tell you a story without naming names. Now doesn't that sound interesting? Well I bought a part off of ebay and the seller is a member of this forum. I was happy with the price I paid for the item he thought otherwise that the other bidder got the price way over what the part was worth. He sent me the part with cash back saying it sold for alot more than it was worth. So there is a lot of great people out there. And we know who you are. So pat yourself on the back for a job well done. Cause sometimes we have to do that for ourselves.

Mabel 1949 Champion
    1957 Silverhawk
    1955 Champion 4Dr.Regal
    Gus 1958 Transtar
    1955 President State
    Fresno,Ca

Leave a comment:

• Anne F. Goodman
    replied
    Well let me tell you a story without naming names. Now doesn't that sound interesting? Well I bought a part off of ebay and the seller is a member of this forum. I was happy with the price I paid for the item he thought otherwise that the other bidder got the price way over what the part was worth. He sent me the part with cash back saying it sold for alot more than it was worth. So there is a lot of great people out there. And we know who you are. So pat yourself on the back for a job well done. Cause sometimes we have to do that for ourselves.

Mabel 1949 Champion
    1957 Silverhawk
    1955 Champion 4Dr.Regal
    Gus 1958 Transtar
    1955 President State
    Fresno,Ca

Leave a comment:

• wally
    replied
    If there is one good thing about Studebakering, it is the "small town" atmosphere. Friendly, and knowing your neighbor. So why shouldn't we share our experiences over the back fence? So Swifster, couldn't you make it right with the buyer(gordy) by sending them a rebuild kit(since you admit after the fact that it should be rebuilt), and refunding at least some of their money, just to keep the peace, and maintain your rep as a good ol' boy? Even at that, you'd still have gotten a pretty fair price--way more than the $75 you expected-- out of an old two-barrel that most folks would've pitched. Lets face it: Ebay(and auctions in general)can make fools out of all of us. I've heard it said here more than once: It is more about the People, than it is the Cars.

"You Can't Have Everything--Where Would You Put It?" ---comedian Steven Wright

Leave a comment:

• wally
    replied
    If there is one good thing about Studebakering, it is the "small town" atmosphere. Friendly, and knowing your neighbor. So why shouldn't we share our experiences over the back fence? So Swifster, couldn't you make it right with the buyer(gordy) by sending them a rebuild kit(since you admit after the fact that it should be rebuilt), and refunding at least some of their money, just to keep the peace, and maintain your rep as a good ol' boy? Even at that, you'd still have gotten a pretty fair price--way more than the $75 you expected-- out of an old two-barrel that most folks would've pitched. Lets face it: Ebay(and auctions in general)can make fools out of all of us. I've heard it said here more than once: It is more about the People, than it is the Cars.

"You Can't Have Everything--Where Would You Put It?" ---comedian Steven Wright

Leave a comment:

• Skip Lackie
    replied
    Just for the record, it's worth noting that SDC has an advertising complaints committee whose job it is to resolve disputes between buyers and sellers. As listed on page 4 in the January TW, Linda Sinclair is the current committee chair. I had that job for a number of years and it was not a lot of fun. SDC can and has suspended or revoked advertising privileges and/or memberships of dishonest vendors and buyers.

However, it's also important to note that SDC really cannot mediate a transaction that was not based on an ad in TW or executed through some SDC channel. So a deal made through ebay is probably beyond SDC's purview.

Skip Lackie
    Washington DC

Leave a comment:

• Skip Lackie
    replied
    Just for the record, it's worth noting that SDC has an advertising complaints committee whose job it is to resolve disputes between buyers and sellers. As listed on page 4 in the January TW, Linda Sinclair is the current committee chair. I had that job for a number of years and it was not a lot of fun. SDC can and has suspended or revoked advertising privileges and/or memberships of dishonest vendors and buyers.

However, it's also important to note that SDC really cannot mediate a transaction that was not based on an ad in TW or executed through some SDC channel. So a deal made through ebay is probably beyond SDC's purview.

Skip Lackie
    Washington DC

Leave a comment:

• Jessie J.
    replied
    Once I purchased a NOS rear fender molding for my '62 Lark over e-Bay, the seller ( a "Big Name" Stude restoration shop) sent it clear across the country by U.S. Mail.
    Upon arrival it was obvious that there was a problem, as the approxamatly 5' long and very flimsy package had been folded up twice into three convienient sections!
    Had quite a heated go around with the vendor, as he initally insinuated that the mangled piece was one of my old ones, and that I was attempting to scam him into sending more parts for free. I pointed out that a single layer of cardboard folded into a 3"x3"x 6' long "box" would be insufficient to ship such a delicate part even across town, much less thousands of miles through the U.S Mail!
    He finally gave in and shipped out a replacement (this one securely wired to a strip of wood siding and well packed) but he was NOT happy about it, and latter when I had won other items on his auctions, he attempted to void my winning bids and refuse to complete the transactions.
    With many e-mail exchanges we eventually worked through it and I did end up buying quite a few more items from him.
    But to this day I don't think that I ever really suceeded in convincing him that that moulding had arrived in a mangled condition, (I still have it, and the "box" that it was shipped in, it is still "like new" shiny and is obviously NOS) I would have had nothing at all to gain by folding up a mint NOS part just to obtain an identical replacement.

Leave a comment:

• Jessie J.
    replied
    Once I purchased a NOS rear fender molding for my '62 Lark over e-Bay, the seller ( a "Big Name" Stude restoration shop) sent it clear across the country by U.S. Mail.
    Upon arrival it was obvious that there was a problem, as the approxamatly 5' long and very flimsy package had been folded up twice into three convienient sections!
    Had quite a heated go around with the vendor, as he initally insinuated that the mangled piece was one of my old ones, and that I was attempting to scam him into sending more parts for free. I pointed out that a single layer of cardboard folded into a 3"x3"x 6' long "box" would be insufficient to ship such a delicate part even across town, much less thousands of miles through the U.S Mail!
    He finally gave in and shipped out a replacement (this one securely wired to a strip of wood siding and well packed) but he was NOT happy about it, and latter when I had won other items on his auctions, he attempted to void my winning bids and refuse to complete the transactions.
    With many e-mail exchanges we eventually worked through it and I did end up buying quite a few more items from him.
    But to this day I don't think that I ever really suceeded in convincing him that that moulding had arrived in a mangled condition, (I still have it, and the "box" that it was shipped in, it is still "like new" shiny and is obviously NOS) I would have had nothing at all to gain by folding up a mint NOS part just to obtain an identical replacement.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X