No announcement yet.

Buying parts from our members on ebay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I recently had a bad experience also with a SDC member. I had just purchased my hawk and the carb was giving me problems and I knew from po that it was an issue I got one from member off ebay and paid top dollar 250 for a 2bbl carb. It was pretty much junk and couldnt be used. Not wanting to cause problem because this club has been so good for me as a resource I just bit the bullet and everytime I think about it I get a little miffed.It just goes to show you that you need to not let your guard down even if it is a member when dealing with ebay. And if you leave them bad refrences they can do same for you. They really protect the seller and the buyer is sometimes just sol. Off the soap box and back to work..there I feel better..

62 GT Hawk
    84 vette
    31 Ford Pickup
    2005 Maxima
    2006 CTSV
    Gravely 17hp Pro
    Gravely Walker 10HP

Comment

I recently had a bad experience also with a SDC member. I had just purchased my hawk and the carb was giving me problems and I knew from po that it was an issue I got one from member off ebay and paid top dollar 250 for a 2bbl carb. It was pretty much junk and couldnt be used. Not wanting to cause problem because this club has been so good for me as a resource I just bit the bullet and everytime I think about it I get a little miffed.It just goes to show you that you need to not let your guard down even if it is a member when dealing with ebay. And if you leave them bad refrences they can do same for you. They really protect the seller and the buyer is sometimes just sol. Off the soap box and back to work..there I feel better..

62 GT Hawk
      84 vette
      31 Ford Pickup
      2005 Maxima
      2006 CTSV
      Gravely 17hp Pro
      Gravely Walker 10HP

Comment

Yes that is the problem with Ebay on feedback. If you get ripped off and leave a negative on the seller, they will turn right around and leave you a negative as a buyer and no way to defend yourself. After the negative for you, you have a problem with future buying and selling and you did nothing but report a fraud seller.

Comment

Yes that is the problem with Ebay on feedback. If you get ripped off and leave a negative on the seller, they will turn right around and leave you a negative as a buyer and no way to defend yourself. After the negative for you, you have a problem with future buying and selling and you did nothing but report a fraud seller.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Gordy911

Gordy, what I sold you was a rebuildable carb. It ran when pulled out of the car. The engine had sat a few weeks. I don't know of anyone who would buy a 40+ year old carb and not take the time to rebuild it.

For the record, after Gordy tried running the carb as purchased, he finally tore the carb down and found a small colony of fire ants had started making a home in it. There was a 6 to 8 week period where the engine sat covered outside the shop that the engine was located at. There was no indication of ants anywhere on the engine (and I have photos of the engine). There was no indication of ants in the intake either. After rebuilding the carb, there was a stumble because Gordy installed the accelerator pump dry instead of soaking it first.

Gordy and another bidder took turns outbidding each other and it sold for $258! I swear I never thought it would bring more than $75. These carbs have issues with warping, and it was listed as good condition with no warping. And there was no complaint of fuel coming out of the seams. As Gordy wasn't completely happy, I offered to by the carb kit and never got a solid response on the cost of the kit. And if anyone cares, Gordy left positive feedback.

I am not a business. Items I've sold on Ebay have been things I don't plan on using, like one would at a garage sale. I have 100% positive feedback because I try to be as honest as possible with my discriptions. There was no attempt to deceive anyone. If anyone would like to check out my feedback, I'm 'tallen1964' on Ebay http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAP...me=STRK:ME:UFS. The item in question is http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=200146694704. This will probably be dropped soon because it will be 90 days. I also have all the exchanged e-mails if someone cares to read them.

Look, R1 and R2 carbs go for $125-$175. I can't control someone elses emotions (and it takes to bidders to get this far) to pay this kind of money for a rebuildable carb. Even if the ants were not there, the accelerator pump still would have been dried out from sitting. This is common sense. Do I owe a refund after the buyer tears into the carb on his own? I don't think so. I think there was an accurate discription. I e-mailed a few on this site to see if I was out of bounds. All said buyers remorse. Some suggested offering to buy the carb kit, which I did. Gordy, tell me how much the carb kit is and I'll send you a refund on the kit tomorrow.

I told Gordy more than once I didn't want any hard feelings over this and tried to be reasonable. I now know one guy I won't deal with under any circumstances. Others that I've dealt with have been great. I think Gordy needs to use some common sense when buying something that's used. You know what the real kicker is? Because Gordy mentioned he was on the board, I sent him the carb without waiting for payment. He actually had the carb before sending me payment. He obviously didn't see any ants either...
            Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
            1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Gordy911

Gordy, what I sold you was a rebuildable carb. It ran when pulled out of the car. The engine had sat a few weeks. I don't know of anyone who would buy a 40+ year old carb and not take the time to rebuild it.

For the record, after Gordy tried running the carb as purchased, he finally tore the carb down and found a small colony of fire ants had started making a home in it. There was a 6 to 8 week period where the engine sat covered outside the shop that the engine was located at. There was no indication of ants anywhere on the engine (and I have photos of the engine). There was no indication of ants in the intake either. After rebuilding the carb, there was a stumble because Gordy installed the accelerator pump dry instead of soaking it first.

Gordy and another bidder took turns outbidding each other and it sold for $258! I swear I never thought it would bring more than $75. These carbs have issues with warping, and it was listed as good condition with no warping. And there was no complaint of fuel coming out of the seams. As Gordy wasn't completely happy, I offered to by the carb kit and never got a solid response on the cost of the kit. And if anyone cares, Gordy left positive feedback.

I am not a business. Items I've sold on Ebay have been things I don't plan on using, like one would at a garage sale. I have 100% positive feedback because I try to be as honest as possible with my discriptions. There was no attempt to deceive anyone. If anyone would like to check out my feedback, I'm 'tallen1964' on Ebay http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAP...me=STRK:ME:UFS. The item in question is http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=200146694704. This will probably be dropped soon because it will be 90 days. I also have all the exchanged e-mails if someone cares to read them.

Look, R1 and R2 carbs go for $125-$175. I can't control someone elses emotions (and it takes to bidders to get this far) to pay this kind of money for a rebuildable carb. Even if the ants were not there, the accelerator pump still would have been dried out from sitting. This is common sense. Do I owe a refund after the buyer tears into the carb on his own? I don't think so. I think there was an accurate discription. I e-mailed a few on this site to see if I was out of bounds. All said buyers remorse. Some suggested offering to buy the carb kit, which I did. Gordy, tell me how much the carb kit is and I'll send you a refund on the kit tomorrow.

I told Gordy more than once I didn't want any hard feelings over this and tried to be reasonable. I now know one guy I won't deal with under any circumstances. Others that I've dealt with have been great. I think Gordy needs to use some common sense when buying something that's used. You know what the real kicker is? Because Gordy mentioned he was on the board, I sent him the carb without waiting for payment. He actually had the carb before sending me payment. He obviously didn't see any ants either...
              Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
              1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

I've been both a buyer and seller on eBay. As a seller, I post swift feedback if I receive swift, clear payment, usually before the buyer has received an item. I'm a little miffed at the sellers who don't leave feedback until, and unless, they've received a positive. It just seems infantile. Only my opinion and now I'll go back to talking Studebakers.

I'll only buy Stude parts at auction if they are not readily available from our great SDC vendors.
                "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                '33 Rockne 10,
                '51 Commander Starlight,
                '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
                '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

I've been both a buyer and seller on eBay. As a seller, I post swift feedback if I receive swift, clear payment, usually before the buyer has received an item. I'm a little miffed at the sellers who don't leave feedback until, and unless, they've received a positive. It just seems infantile. Only my opinion and now I'll go back to talking Studebakers.

I'll only buy Stude parts at auction if they are not readily available from our great SDC vendors.
                  "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                  Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                  '33 Rockne 10,
                  '51 Commander Starlight,
                  '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
                  '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

Once I purchased a NOS rear fender molding for my '62 Lark over e-Bay, the seller ( a "Big Name" Stude restoration shop) sent it clear across the country by U.S. Mail.
                    Upon arrival it was obvious that there was a problem, as the approxamatly 5' long and very flimsy package had been folded up twice into three convienient sections!
                    Had quite a heated go around with the vendor, as he initally insinuated that the mangled piece was one of my old ones, and that I was attempting to scam him into sending more parts for free. I pointed out that a single layer of cardboard folded into a 3"x3"x 6' long "box" would be insufficient to ship such a delicate part even across town, much less thousands of miles through the U.S Mail!
                    He finally gave in and shipped out a replacement (this one securely wired to a strip of wood siding and well packed) but he was NOT happy about it, and latter when I had won other items on his auctions, he attempted to void my winning bids and refuse to complete the transactions.
                    With many e-mail exchanges we eventually worked through it and I did end up buying quite a few more items from him.
                    But to this day I don't think that I ever really suceeded in convincing him that that moulding had arrived in a mangled condition, (I still have it, and the "box" that it was shipped in, it is still "like new" shiny and is obviously NOS) I would have had nothing at all to gain by folding up a mint NOS part just to obtain an identical replacement.

Comment

Once I purchased a NOS rear fender molding for my '62 Lark over e-Bay, the seller ( a "Big Name" Stude restoration shop) sent it clear across the country by U.S. Mail.
                      Upon arrival it was obvious that there was a problem, as the approxamatly 5' long and very flimsy package had been folded up twice into three convienient sections!
                      Had quite a heated go around with the vendor, as he initally insinuated that the mangled piece was one of my old ones, and that I was attempting to scam him into sending more parts for free. I pointed out that a single layer of cardboard folded into a 3"x3"x 6' long "box" would be insufficient to ship such a delicate part even across town, much less thousands of miles through the U.S Mail!
                      He finally gave in and shipped out a replacement (this one securely wired to a strip of wood siding and well packed) but he was NOT happy about it, and latter when I had won other items on his auctions, he attempted to void my winning bids and refuse to complete the transactions.
                      With many e-mail exchanges we eventually worked through it and I did end up buying quite a few more items from him.
                      But to this day I don't think that I ever really suceeded in convincing him that that moulding had arrived in a mangled condition, (I still have it, and the "box" that it was shipped in, it is still "like new" shiny and is obviously NOS) I would have had nothing at all to gain by folding up a mint NOS part just to obtain an identical replacement.

Comment

Just for the record, it's worth noting that SDC has an advertising complaints committee whose job it is to resolve disputes between buyers and sellers. As listed on page 4 in the January TW, Linda Sinclair is the current committee chair. I had that job for a number of years and it was not a lot of fun. SDC can and has suspended or revoked advertising privileges and/or memberships of dishonest vendors and buyers.

However, it's also important to note that SDC really cannot mediate a transaction that was not based on an ad in TW or executed through some SDC channel. So a deal made through ebay is probably beyond SDC's purview.

Skip Lackie
                        Washington DC
                        Skip Lackie

Comment

Just for the record, it's worth noting that SDC has an advertising complaints committee whose job it is to resolve disputes between buyers and sellers. As listed on page 4 in the January TW, Linda Sinclair is the current committee chair. I had that job for a number of years and it was not a lot of fun. SDC can and has suspended or revoked advertising privileges and/or memberships of dishonest vendors and buyers.

However, it's also important to note that SDC really cannot mediate a transaction that was not based on an ad in TW or executed through some SDC channel. So a deal made through ebay is probably beyond SDC's purview.

Skip Lackie
                          Washington DC
                          Skip Lackie

Comment

If there is one good thing about Studebakering, it is the "small town" atmosphere. Friendly, and knowing your neighbor. So why shouldn't we share our experiences over the back fence? So Swifster, couldn't you make it right with the buyer(gordy) by sending them a rebuild kit(since you admit after the fact that it should be rebuilt), and refunding at least some of their money, just to keep the peace, and maintain your rep as a good ol' boy? Even at that, you'd still have gotten a pretty fair price--way more than the $75 you expected-- out of an old two-barrel that most folks would've pitched. Lets face it: Ebay(and auctions in general)can make fools out of all of us. I've heard it said here more than once: It is more about the People, than it is the Cars.

"You Can't Have Everything--Where Would You Put It?" ---comedian Steven Wright

Comment

If there is one good thing about Studebakering, it is the "small town" atmosphere. Friendly, and knowing your neighbor. So why shouldn't we share our experiences over the back fence? So Swifster, couldn't you make it right with the buyer(gordy) by sending them a rebuild kit(since you admit after the fact that it should be rebuilt), and refunding at least some of their money, just to keep the peace, and maintain your rep as a good ol' boy? Even at that, you'd still have gotten a pretty fair price--way more than the $75 you expected-- out of an old two-barrel that most folks would've pitched. Lets face it: Ebay(and auctions in general)can make fools out of all of us. I've heard it said here more than once: It is more about the People, than it is the Cars.

"You Can't Have Everything--Where Would You Put It?" ---comedian Steven Wright

Comment

Well let me tell you a story without naming names. Now doesn't that sound interesting? Well I bought a part off of ebay and the seller is a member of this forum. I was happy with the price I paid for the item he thought otherwise that the other bidder got the price way over what the part was worth. He sent me the part with cash back saying it sold for alot more than it was worth. So there is a lot of great people out there. And we know who you are. So pat yourself on the back for a job well done. Cause sometimes we have to do that for ourselves.

Mabel 1949 Champion
                                1957 Silverhawk
                                1955 Champion 4Dr.Regal
                                Gus 1958 Transtar
                                1955 President State
                                Fresno,Ca
                                Mabel 1949 Champion
                                Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
                                Gus 1958 Transtar
                                The Prez 1955 President State
                                Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
                                Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe