Buying parts from our members on ebay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying parts from our members on ebay

Having been a member of another type of auto club and buying parts from members of that club for my car, I never had any member sell me bad parts.
    As a fairly new member of the Studebaker club, I purchased a Studebaker and needed some engine parts to rebuild the cars engine. I found some of the parts on Ebay and after checking the seller history out and found she was a member of the Studebaker drivers club and owned several Studebakers, I sent her payment for five different engine parts. When I received the parts they were all in non use condition with rust and old cracked rubber. I asked to return and the member told me no refund or return. I am out 155.00 on this member. This is when Greed takes over integrity.
    When I see her at a National meet, I am sure she will hide her face in the crowd.
    I have purchased quite a few other parts this year from members and found everyone else to be of the highest integrity.

Unfortunantly I guess there is some bad apples in every group. Did you report this person to Ebay?

Former owner/owner with Dad:
    58 Packard Golden Hawk
    62 Hawk
    62 Lark
    63 Lark
    64 Lark
    63 Champ

Lakeland, FL

Comment

Unfortunantly I guess there is some bad apples in every group. Did you report this person to Ebay?

Former owner/owner with Dad:
      58 Packard Golden Hawk
      62 Hawk
      62 Lark
      63 Lark
      64 Lark
      63 Champ

Lakeland, FL

Comment

Well, one very important suggestion: NEVER BUY NOS RUBBER PARTS!

There are many fresh new production rubber parts available for post war Studes. everything from door and window seals to "A" arm and spring bushings, engine mounts etc.

StudeRich
        Studebakers Northwest
        Ferndale, WA
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Well, one very important suggestion: NEVER BUY NOS RUBBER PARTS!

There are many fresh new production rubber parts available for post war Studes. everything from door and window seals to "A" arm and spring bushings, engine mounts etc.

StudeRich
          Studebakers Northwest
          Ferndale, WA
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Cracked rubber on an engine part? Valve stem seals? Rear main seal? Can't imagine anyone sells old, "cracked" versions of these items. And I would think you'd just get a FelPro set if you were building an engine . . .

Please elaborate.

Comment

Cracked rubber on an engine part? Valve stem seals? Rear main seal? Can't imagine anyone sells old, "cracked" versions of these items. And I would think you'd just get a FelPro set if you were building an engine . . .

Please elaborate.

Comment

Having played with cars and tractors of different makes, our STUDEBAKER vendors are by far some of the best to deal with. Ask around for some testimony and you'll get a long list of trustworthy vendors.
                I think that there is a format thru the SDC to hold vendors responsible for bad dealings. It might be no more than not allowing them to vend and advertise thru the club, but eventually they will go out of business. Word travels fast (bad news usually) on the other hand be sure to brag about the good dealings you receive also.
                The studebaker world is small compared to brand X and bad vendors thankfully don't last long.
                Russ

quote:Originally posted by Vance

Having been a member of another type of auto club and buying parts from members of that club for my car, I never had any member sell me bad parts.
                As a fairly new member of the Studebaker club, I purchased a Studebaker and needed some engine parts to rebuild the cars engine. I found some of the parts on Ebay and after checking the seller history out and found she was a member of the Studebaker drivers club and owned several Studebakers, I sent her payment for five different engine parts. When I received the parts they were all in non use condition with rust and old cracked rubber. I asked to return and the member told me no refund or return. I am out 155.00 on this member. This is when Greed takes over integrity.
                When I see her at a National meet, I am sure she will hide her face in the crowd.
                I have purchased quite a few other parts this year from members and found everyone else to be of the highest integrity.
                Russ Shop Foreman "Rusty Nut Garage"
                57 SH (project)
                60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

Russ Shop Foreman \"Rusty Nut Garage\"
                53 2R6 289 5SpdOD (driver)
                57 SH (project)

Comment

Having played with cars and tractors of different makes, our STUDEBAKER vendors are by far some of the best to deal with. Ask around for some testimony and you'll get a long list of trustworthy vendors.
                  I think that there is a format thru the SDC to hold vendors responsible for bad dealings. It might be no more than not allowing them to vend and advertise thru the club, but eventually they will go out of business. Word travels fast (bad news usually) on the other hand be sure to brag about the good dealings you receive also.
                  The studebaker world is small compared to brand X and bad vendors thankfully don't last long.
                  Russ

quote:Originally posted by Vance

Russ Shop Foreman "Rusty Nut Garage"
                  57 SH (project)

Russ Shop Foreman \"Rusty Nut Garage\"
                  53 2R6 289 5SpdOD (driver)
                  57 SH (project)

Comment

Regarding the cracked rubber,it was a rear main seal kit. I purchased on Ebay a bearing set and the seller advised me that she had many other engine parts and I told her what I needed and she then sold me the other items off Ebay.
                    Yes after this, I repurchased another main bearing seal kit from a good supplier listed in the advertisments of our magazine.

Comment

Regarding the cracked rubber,it was a rear main seal kit. I purchased on Ebay a bearing set and the seller advised me that she had many other engine parts and I told her what I needed and she then sold me the other items off Ebay.
                      Yes after this, I repurchased another main bearing seal kit from a good supplier listed in the advertisments of our magazine.

Comment

I've bought quite a few things on e-bay, so far without problem - knock on wood![:0] However, they do seem to have a pretty good problem resolution system and if you bought via PayPal, access to some insurance. If nothing else, you can leave appropriate feedback to warn other potential customers. I have also bought parts directly from at least 1/2 dozen Stude Vendors always without incident and found the service and speed to be great.[8D] I must agree with StudeRich, however, that I would be suspect of NOS "rubber" parts as by definition they are at least 41+ years old. Most of the minor repairs I am making to my truck are as a result of rubber bits "breaking down" and I know that most of them are only half that age, so there's another clue. I hope at the end of the day you are not too inconvenienced, and your project goes well.

<h5>Mark
                        '57 Transtar
                        3E-6/7-122
                        </h5>
                        [img]
                        Mark Hayden
                        '66 Commander
                        Zone Coordinator
                        Pacific Can-Am Zone

Comment

I've bought quite a few things on e-bay, so far without problem - knock on wood![:0] However, they do seem to have a pretty good problem resolution system and if you bought via PayPal, access to some insurance. If nothing else, you can leave appropriate feedback to warn other potential customers. I have also bought parts directly from at least 1/2 dozen Stude Vendors always without incident and found the service and speed to be great.[8D] I must agree with StudeRich, however, that I would be suspect of NOS "rubber" parts as by definition they are at least 41+ years old. Most of the minor repairs I am making to my truck are as a result of rubber bits "breaking down" and I know that most of them are only half that age, so there's another clue. I hope at the end of the day you are not too inconvenienced, and your project goes well.

<h5>Mark
                          '57 Transtar
                          3E-6/7-122
                          </h5>
                          [img]
                          Mark Hayden
                          '66 Commander
                          Zone Coordinator
                          Pacific Can-Am Zone

Comment

Probably, she thought that if they were never used, they were good to go. This person being a member of SDC and owning Studes does not guarantee they have an intimate knowledge of parts. Not trying to defend this person - only pointing out possibilities. In my years of dealing with Ebay, I've gotten a stinky deal as both seller and buyer. I've even had folks gripe that they got a bogus deal from me. We've always worked it out tho.
                            Thing is, there's TOO MANY good folks to deal with to paint them all with one bad experience.[:I]

Miscreant adrift in
                            the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                            1960 Larkvertible V8
                            1958 Provincial wagon
                            1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Probably, she thought that if they were never used, they were good to go. This person being a member of SDC and owning Studes does not guarantee they have an intimate knowledge of parts. Not trying to defend this person - only pointing out possibilities. In my years of dealing with Ebay, I've gotten a stinky deal as both seller and buyer. I've even had folks gripe that they got a bogus deal from me. We've always worked it out tho.
                              Thing is, there's TOO MANY good folks to deal with to paint them all with one bad experience.[:I]

Miscreant adrift in
                              the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                              1960 Larkvertible V8
                              1958 Provincial wagon
                              1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Working...
                              X