X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RadioRoy
    replied
    Originally posted by WLB View Post
    Do you have stock 56 Hawk radios that are converted ?
    Please send me an email and we can talk/write about your needs. I probably have a 56 Hawk radio, but I build them to order, not for speculation ahead of time.

My email address is in my profile.
    Last edited by RadioRoy; 01-10-2017, 12:51 PM.

Leave a comment:

• RadioRoy
    replied
    The AUX-1 can add auxiliary inputs to a stock 6 volt radio. http://www.tech-retro.com/Aurora_Des...cessories.html

The Satellite receiver will operate through these auxiliary inputs, but you will need to supply 12 volts negative ground to the satellite receiver and add the special satellite antenna. The HPC-1 can provide the 12 volts, or you can use a dry battery from a camping lantern, or a motorcycle battery, or those sealed 12 volt batteries from exit signs or other industrial uses.

The FMC-1 can also convert the stock 6 volt radio to receive FM stations.
    Last edited by RadioRoy; 01-11-2017, 04:31 PM.

Leave a comment:

• 1951Champion
    replied
    RadioRoy --
    What about adding SiriusXM Satellite Radio in a 1951 Champion (6 Volt) ? Would one need to convert the car to 12 Volt and can any of these radio conversions also do satellite radio (perhaps through an auxiliary input) ?

Leave a comment:

• RadioRoy
    replied
    Brian,

Why not buy one and restore it yourself?

If you can do home radios, you can do a car radio. Just make sure to replace the buffer capacitor and the power supply filter capacitors. They may seem good, but they will fail within a year or so.
    Last edited by RadioRoy; 01-10-2017, 12:18 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Bmallett
    replied
    Thanks Roy. Bummer. I was hoping to have lucked out with a good score there. I just didn't want to accept something that wouldn't work if he could find another use for it.

Leave a comment:

• RadioRoy
    replied
    S-4627 does not fit. That radio is for 47-49 cars and has a different shape and mounting system.

The 'S' numbers that will fit a 1950 are:
    -4927 = 1950 7 pushbutton
    -4924 = 1950 5 pushbutton
    -4923 = 1950 manual tuning
    -5127 = 1951/52 6 pushbutton
    -5124 = 1951/52 4 pushbutton
    -5123 = 1951/52 manual tuning

The 51/52 radios will fit in a 50 and look correct. The 50 radios will NOT fit in a 51/52.

Additionally, the radios with a EVEN number of pushbuttons are mechanically superior to the radios with a ODD number of pushbuttons.
    Last edited by RadioRoy; 11-30-2016, 11:25 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Bmallett
    replied
    Hey guys! I have a gentleman who has offered up a Philco model S-4627 that I can have if it would work with my 50 Champion. I don't want to just take it if it isn't one that will work though. Can any of you verify if that model fits/works with a 1950 Champion? I've been looking but haven't found anything yet confirming.

Thanks

Leave a comment:

• WLB
    replied
    Do you have stock 56 Hawk radios that are converted ?

Leave a comment:

• Bmallett
    replied
    Thanks for the great input guys! Ragtop and RadioRoy... PM's coming.

Thanks again

Leave a comment:

• 52 Ragtop
    replied
    If you need a radio to convert, send me a PM, I think I have one or maybe two.

Jim

Leave a comment:

• RadioRoy
    replied
    If Brian can find a radio for his car with an EVEN number of push buttons (zero, four, or six) the conversion is straightforward. The radios with a ODD number of push buttons (five or seven) are much fussier, harder to fix, and more likely to be troublesome in the long run.

I also have radios in stock.
    Last edited by RadioRoy; 11-21-2016, 12:13 PM.

Leave a comment:

• gordr
    replied
    I see Aurora also makes a power inverter that accepts a 6 volt positive ground input, and outputs 12 volts negative ground, and which is small enough to be mounted inside the converted radio. Seems to me a radio so converted would meet the needs of the OP.

Leave a comment:

• RadioRoy
    replied
    If you have a radio in the car, I can convert it to AM/FM and auxiliary inputs, so you can play music from an iPod, or your smart phone, or a portable CD player. The company that makes the conversion circuit boards is here:

Last edited by RadioRoy; 11-21-2016, 11:53 AM.

Leave a comment:

• 61LaRk4dr
    replied
    RadioRoy is your best resource for this. He is frequent on this forum.....and will no doubt have some information for you.

Leave a comment:

• Bmallett
    started a topic 6v Radio Question

6v Radio Question

I have searched and searched for some form of solution to this. In some of my other cars, I have been able to find radios that look like factory and fit like factory, but have modern features. I would like to leave my 50 Champion as a 6v positive system. The car was originally -radio. (It was minus just about everything) I would like to add a radio to it, but would REALLY like to be able to add an FM radio at least. Is there nothing out there for this?
Working...
X