Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the newest late model car with Stude power?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would think the reason there will be few examples to be found, is in the nature of the majority of cars that have been produced since 1980, "downsizing" along with the increasingly complexity of electrical systems, (IE dashboards and instrument clusters that will not work without being connected up to the dozens of OE sensors and switches) and the massive switch to front wheel drive which has left us with very few RWD cars that would be suitable candidates for engine swaps of any kind.
    There really are no candidates left that can fill that void left by the discontinuation of all the old RWD compacts and sub-compacts, with the few remaining RWD American sedans left being lumbering four door behemoths, other than Camaro's and Mustangs, there is nothing suitable left to build modern equivalents of a big block Nova, or a V-8 Vega or Pinto.
    As both the Camaro and Mustang have already been developed and tweaked to the limits, and quite desirable by enthusiasts as is, there would be nothing of merit to be gained by the swapping in of any antiquated drivetrains.
    Just the way it is now, and likely to continue, I'm thankful that I've had the pleasure and opportunity of living through those decades that encouraged and applauded the imagination, initiative, and talents of backyard builders and hotrodders.
    Working at Oldsmobile for 30 years (RIP)I have had the pleasure and experiences inherent in owning SS396 Camaro, a Street Hemi, an AMX and a SCJ 428 4 speed Cougar Eliminator and more, and also had a hand in building a Chevy powered Rambler, an Olds powered Hudson, a Buick powered MG, and a whole slew of like unique vehicles, and with my half dozen Studes on hand, I'm still quite involved.
    But it is a far different world than the one which my son and my grandson now have to live in, sure I can tell them the stories, but it is difficult for them to relate or to understand my passion for my old 'junk" cars, because the "world" that they are now part of has changed, and outside of my influence, does not allow them the types of exposure, opportunities and experiences that existed for me "way back when".

Comment

Jessie J., if you really want a fabulous Studebaker project car, get in touch with Factory Five Racing, the people who make the Cobra replicars and kits. They also have a GTM car that would be great with a supercharged Studebaker V8.

Our local SDC chapter visited the factory last spring and got the full tour. We asked if it was possible to get a factory-supplied GTM frame modified to take a Stude V8: the answer was "no", only set-ups for the Corvette C5 (1997-2004). But, you could do the modifications yourself. The kit is $20,000.

The Cobra replica is another option. It's a pretty open frame, set up for the Ford small block (289-302-351). I'd guess the top tubes need to be spread to get the Stude engine in, but maybe not. Mate your 289 to a Tremec 5- or 6-speed tranmission and away you go. Gee, I'd love one of these with a Stude engine!

Their web site is at www.factoryfive.com

[img=left]http://www.studegarage.com/images/gary_ash_m5_sm.jpg[/img=left] Gary Ash
      Dartmouth, Mass.
      '48 M5
      '65 Wagonaire Commander
      '63 Wagonaire Standard
      web site at http://www.studegarage.com
      Gary Ash
      Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
      ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
      '48 M5
      '65 Wagonaire Commander
      '63 Wagonaire Standard

Comment

Jessie J., if you really want a fabulous Studebaker project car, get in touch with Factory Five Racing, the people who make the Cobra replicars and kits. They also have a GTM car that would be great with a supercharged Studebaker V8.

Our local SDC chapter visited the factory last spring and got the full tour. We asked if it was possible to get a factory-supplied GTM frame modified to take a Stude V8: the answer was "no", only set-ups for the Corvette C5 (1997-2004). But, you could do the modifications yourself. The kit is $20,000.

The Cobra replica is another option. It's a pretty open frame, set up for the Ford small block (289-302-351). I'd guess the top tubes need to be spread to get the Stude engine in, but maybe not. Mate your 289 to a Tremec 5- or 6-speed tranmission and away you go. Gee, I'd love one of these with a Stude engine!

Their web site is at www.factoryfive.com

[img=left]http://www.studegarage.com/images/gary_ash_m5_sm.jpg[/img=left] Gary Ash
        Dartmouth, Mass.
        '48 M5
        '65 Wagonaire Commander
        '63 Wagonaire Standard
        Gary Ash
        Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
        ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
        '48 M5
        '65 Wagonaire Commander
        '63 Wagonaire Standard

Comment

I'm sure that any of the "427 Cobra" style kits that are designed to accept 427 big block Ford would provide plenty of space to mount a Studebaker V-8. Personally I much prefer the style and charm of the '50s and '60s open cockpit roadsters. (Owned several Austin Healey's and MGs, I even built up a Buick 215/4 speed powered Bugeye back around 1970- now wish I had kept it.)
          Poor old retiree that I am now, just keeping a stock Stude or two in operating condition is about all that I can manage..... of course that has not prevented me from squirreling away a couple of Caddy engines, four speeds, multi-carb intakes... ect.

Comment

I'm sure that any of the "427 Cobra" style kits that are designed to accept 427 big block Ford would provide plenty of space to mount a Studebaker V-8. Personally I much prefer the style and charm of the '50s and '60s open cockpit roadsters. (Owned several Austin Healey's and MGs, I even built up a Buick 215/4 speed powered Bugeye back around 1970- now wish I had kept it.)
            Poor old retiree that I am now, just keeping a stock Stude or two in operating condition is about all that I can manage..... of course that has not prevented me from squirreling away a couple of Caddy engines, four speeds, multi-carb intakes... ect.

Comment

Oh, looking back over my previous couple of post's, The Buick/MG was built around a 225 V-6, I immediately followed that one up with the construction of my 215/Sprite.....nothing remains of these adventures except an old MG grill out in the rafters of the barn......and fond memories of more exciting days.

Comment

Oh, looking back over my previous couple of post's, The Buick/MG was built around a 225 V-6, I immediately followed that one up with the construction of my 215/Sprite.....nothing remains of these adventures except an old MG grill out in the rafters of the barn......and fond memories of more exciting days.

Comment

There is a fellow in The Heart of Dixie Chapter with I belive a 78 ford F100 with Studebaker 289 in it Doug M

Comment

There is a fellow in The Heart of Dixie Chapter with I belive a 78 ford F100 with Studebaker 289 in it Doug M

Comment

Working...
                    X