Kankakee, IL stude dealership

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kankakee, IL stude dealership

Does anyone remember the name of the dealership in Kankakee, IL ? I just learned that I have a neighbor whose dad was a salesman there. Can't remember dealership name. Anyone?

Saw a listing for Hodak Motor Sales in Kankakee Il.
    Over on Bobs site. Could that be the dealer?
    sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
    Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
    "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

- - - Updated - - -

One of my favorite dealers. About 35 miles from me in Mokena. Started by John Hodak Sr. in 1934. Below two of about 20 photos I have of the dealership thru the years.

Click image for larger version

Name:	50 outside2 copy.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	1709987 Click image for larger version

Name:	50 inside showroom copy.jpg
Size:	117.5 KB
ID:	1709988
      Richard Quinn
      Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Great pictures. I'd love to see more. Hopefully tomorrow I'll be able to get in touch with my neighbor, he'll be happy to see these, and more I hope. Can't imagine more than one dealer in Kankakee. Thanks for your input, both of you.

Comment

There was another dealer in Kankakee in the later years Jaffe Motors. I know John Hodak was not too pleased when the Jaffe franchise was granted. Here are a few more images of Hodaks.

Name:	avanti showing news 8-63 copy.jpg
Size:	119.9 KB
ID:	1710024Click image for larger version

Name:	53 budweiser team2 copy.jpg
Size:	114.1 KB
ID:	1710025
          Richard Quinn

Comment

Looks like them Budweiser Clydesdales still have some growing up to do!
            KURTRUK
            (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Are those horses, or mules?

Comment

Thanks for the photos Richard. I'm surprised by the number of Avantis gathered around one dealership. I also can't help but notice that a lot of Studebaker signage had been removed --- perhaps that has something to do with Mr. Hodak being upset with the second Studebaker dealership in town. How long did they remain a Studebaker dealer.

Comment

They remained a dealer to the bitter end and way beyond, selling Studebaker parts and service (as well as used cars) well into the 1970s. Finally switched to selling motorcycles before the property was condemned by the city and the building razed. It is now a parking lot. A few more pictures.

Name:	1952A copy.jpg
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	1710039Click image for larger version

Name:	50 outside copy.jpg
Size:	109.3 KB
ID:	1710040
                  Richard Quinn

Comment

Mr. Quinn, nine new Avantis at one small-town dealership?? Did they really have that many to sell or did the Avanti transport truck break-down and require the unloading of all its cargo?
                    sigpic
                    In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Noticed that the Bud wagon is the "Budweiser Jr".... never heard of that ! Nice photos !

Comment

Wow, great pictures and great stories. I excitedly showed my neighbor all this info, pics ,stories. ... he said, did I say studebaker? I meant Packard!!..... oh well, still glad to have asked, just look at those great pictures and stories. So, on to the next

Comment

Great photos! Would have been great to see in person. All the avantis and studes lined up! Sure beats any new car lot now days!

Comment

Originally posted by Jambo View Post
                            Wow, great pictures and great stories. I excitedly showed my neighbor all this info, pics ,stories. ... he said, did I say studebaker? I meant Packard!!..... oh well, still glad to have asked, just look at those great pictures and stories. So, on to the next
                            Ask your friend if the Packard Dealer was O'Brien's Motor Co.?
                            sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
                            Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
                            "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

O'Brian ya say, thanks for that. Now I'm curious if any pictures of them have survived?

Comment

Working...
                              X