Nice story about Joe Roberts '65 Cruiser

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nice story about Joe Roberts '65 Cruiser

I was Googling for info about Studebaker RVs and came up with this Omaha newspaper article about Joe Roberts buying his uncle's Cruiser. I think Joe may have posted this sometime in the past, but I couldn't find it using search. Be sure to click on "Gallery" to see the RV connection.
    http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pag...&u_sid=2378156

[img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/R-4.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64L.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64P.jpg[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/53K.jpg[/img=right]Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia
    '53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
    '64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
    '64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
    Museum R-4 engine
    Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Well, thanks for posting this. My uncle did in fact use the Cruiser, and an earlier Lark, as a camper. The Cruiser was driven all over the country. Dick (Richard) designed the roof top camper and built most of it himself, the fabric tent like structure was sown together by his wife, Martha Ann. He wrote an article for Turning Wheels about this set up. I think it was June of 1980, but I can't remember for sure and I don't have access to my old Turning Wheels right now. My cousins slept in the roof top camper while my aunt and uncle reclined the front seats and slept there. Lots of interesting, and often humorous stories, about those trips.

Joe Roberts
    '61 R1 Champ
    '65 Cruiser
    Editor of "The Down Easterner"
    Eastern North Carolina Chapter
    Joe Roberts
    '61 R1 Champ
    '65 Cruiser

Comment

Well, thanks for posting this. My uncle did in fact use the Cruiser, and an earlier Lark, as a camper. The Cruiser was driven all over the country. Dick (Richard) designed the roof top camper and built most of it himself, the fabric tent like structure was sown together by his wife, Martha Ann. He wrote an article for Turning Wheels about this set up. I think it was June of 1980, but I can't remember for sure and I don't have access to my old Turning Wheels right now. My cousins slept in the roof top camper while my aunt and uncle reclined the front seats and slept there. Lots of interesting, and often humorous stories, about those trips.

Joe Roberts
      '61 R1 Champ
      '65 Cruiser
      Joe Roberts
      '61 R1 Champ
      '65 Cruiser

Comment

How are you doing Joe, with the chemo?

Leonard Shepherd
        http://leonardshepherd.com/

Comment

How are you doing Joe, with the chemo?

Leonard Shepherd
          http://leonardshepherd.com/

Comment

Joe, that's a neat car and a great story. Hope you're doing well and enjoying the car. :-)

Jacob Newkirk - Owensboro, KY

Currently driving an '87 Ford F-150, but I dream of having a Hawk one day. Don't we all?

KEEP AMERICA BEAUTIFUL! Drive a Studebaker!

Comment

Joe, that's a neat car and a great story. Hope you're doing well and enjoying the car. :-)

Currently driving an '87 Ford F-150, but I dream of having a Hawk one day. Don't we all?

KEEP AMERICA BEAUTIFUL! Drive a Studebaker!

Comment

I've been very lucky thus far with the chemo. I have had very few side affects and feel pretty good. Thanks for asking

I have not gotten out to do much car stuff lately though, so the Cruiser has not been looked at much. I need to do, or have done, some brake work. I got a 400r4 tranny from a buddy, but have not even begun to put than in. I have decided to rebuild the 283 rather than go to a 350 sbc. That stuff will get done eventually. Right now I am just going to get the brakes working correctly and drive it like it is.

I also have done little with the Champ. He needs paint and some general regular maintenance that I have not gotten to recently. Once I get a little heat in the new garage I hope to do that.

Joe Roberts
                '61 R1 Champ
                '65 Cruiser
                Joe Roberts
                '61 R1 Champ
                '65 Cruiser

Comment

I've been very lucky thus far with the chemo. I have had very few side affects and feel pretty good. Thanks for asking

I have not gotten out to do much car stuff lately though, so the Cruiser has not been looked at much. I need to do, or have done, some brake work. I got a 400r4 tranny from a buddy, but have not even begun to put than in. I have decided to rebuild the 283 rather than go to a 350 sbc. That stuff will get done eventually. Right now I am just going to get the brakes working correctly and drive it like it is.

I also have done little with the Champ. He needs paint and some general regular maintenance that I have not gotten to recently. Once I get a little heat in the new garage I hope to do that.

Joe Roberts
                  '61 R1 Champ
                  '65 Cruiser
                  Joe Roberts
                  '61 R1 Champ
                  '65 Cruiser

Comment

Many of you may remember Dick Orr as the colorful "Quiz Master" at the 2006 International Meet here in Omaha. Dick has given his annual "Studebaker Quiz" to members of the Husker Chapter for many years now and he used his Cruiser, which he and Martha Ann purchased new, as a daily driver, then as an almost-daily driver until Joe took the wheel. Dick is a true "Studebaker Treasure" and I hope his story can someday be told in full in Turning Wheels.

Studedude1961
                    --1963 Cruiser

Comment

Many of you may remember Dick Orr as the colorful "Quiz Master" at the 2006 International Meet here in Omaha. Dick has given his annual "Studebaker Quiz" to members of the Husker Chapter for many years now and he used his Cruiser, which he and Martha Ann purchased new, as a daily driver, then as an almost-daily driver until Joe took the wheel. Dick is a true "Studebaker Treasure" and I hope his story can someday be told in full in Turning Wheels.

Studedude1961
                      --1963 Cruiser

Comment

Cool story Joe. I've slept many a night traveling in those reclining type Stude seats. Nice to see the Cruiser stay in the family also.
                        I enjoyed the article to. I agree with studedude! A turning wheels article would be awesome.

Gordon

Comment

Cool story Joe. I've slept many a night traveling in those reclining type Stude seats. Nice to see the Cruiser stay in the family also.
                          I enjoyed the article to. I agree with studedude! A turning wheels article would be awesome.

Gordon

Comment

I once called Uncle Dick a Renaissance Man. He is a very eclectic person in that he has so many interests. He was a printer by trade. He was seriously into model trains and even more so model street cars. He even made some very specialize parts for HO street cars. Mainly the track and the switches, which he cast out of brass in the basement.

He has a really cool old stereo camera and used that to take pictures on a regular basis. The pictures end up being 3D.

He wrote a fantastic book about the street cars in Omaha and Council Bluffs. Also took his old 8mm movies of street cars in the old days and put them into a wonderful video.

He ran in the Boston Marathon and until very recently still ran short races. Rode his Schwinn bicycle to work before that was a fad like thing to do.

And the list goes on.... I always loved to visit Dick and Martha Ann, because Dick would always take me down into the basement where I was awestruck by the wonders down there. I still am.

Joe Roberts
                            '61 R1 Champ
                            '65 Cruiser
                            Joe Roberts
                            '61 R1 Champ
                            '65 Cruiser

Comment

I once called Uncle Dick a Renaissance Man. He is a very eclectic person in that he has so many interests. He was a printer by trade. He was seriously into model trains and even more so model street cars. He even made some very specialize parts for HO street cars. Mainly the track and the switches, which he cast out of brass in the basement.

He has a really cool old stereo camera and used that to take pictures on a regular basis. The pictures end up being 3D.

He wrote a fantastic book about the street cars in Omaha and Council Bluffs. Also took his old 8mm movies of street cars in the old days and put them into a wonderful video.

He ran in the Boston Marathon and until very recently still ran short races. Rode his Schwinn bicycle to work before that was a fad like thing to do.

And the list goes on.... I always loved to visit Dick and Martha Ann, because Dick would always take me down into the basement where I was awestruck by the wonders down there. I still am.

Joe Roberts
                              '61 R1 Champ
                              '65 Cruiser
                              Joe Roberts
                              '61 R1 Champ
                              '65 Cruiser

Comment

Working...
                              X