2 barrel vs 4 barrel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
    Agree with Rich. Something simply isn't as it should be with the condition of the carb or with the rebuild. When operating as it should, the WCFB will produce better fuel mileage than a Stromberg WW and more power at full throttle and there won't be a "horrible dead spot."

Since you've been through it once, the only next step is to have a professional do it and pay the man.

jack vines
    I am PROBABLY willing to "Pay The Man" for a "proper rebuild on the WCFB, but a more important question is...."WHO is the MAN?" that I need to pay?

I have a couple other things I will probably do such as find my local guy that has lots of cars and buy one or two more WCFB's from him , then combine all to get the best of all parts. I am very sure that my current one is having lots of air sucked in around the main shaft.

Carburetors are not new to me and I have done a fine job in the past, but I have not had my typical stock of "extras" that I have had with other carbs to combine the best parts.

However, the car STARTS fantastic. I mean it's a very BRIEF hit on the starter and it's running, so I got SOMETHING right on it. At idle, it has a lope to it like it has a cam, but the choke is fully open, and I have adjusted to idle screws to optimize its operation at idle. It idles right at 550 RPM with 28° dwell and now the vacuum advance is operating correctly. The vacuum advance is hooked to what appears to be a port vacuum on the front of the carb, so there is no vacuum pulling on it at idle, only when accelerating.
    Dis-Use on a Car is Worse Than Mis-Use...
    1959 Studebaker Lark VIII 2DHTP

Comment

The vacuum advance is hooked to what appears to be a port vacuum on the front of the carb, so there is no vacuum pulling on it at idle, only when accelerating.
      Minor point of order, but the vacuum advance is mainly a cruise function. Upon acceleration, manifold vacuum usually drops below the threshold of the vacuum cannister and there is no advance provided. Once back at cruise, manifold vacuum rises and vacuum advance returns.

jack vines
      PackardV8

Comment

If it idles like it has a long duration cam, there is something choking it up.

Comment

The Stromberg WW is an easy carb to tune and equally easy to rebuild. I've rebuilt a number of these "basket case" carbs. As long as the body is sound and the throttle shaft bushing isn't worn then rebuild kits are readily available. As for the Carter...not so much. Seems a bit complicated for my liking. Rebuilding one can be a tedious chore to say the least. "in all things, simplicity is the extreme excellence." (Longfellow)

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
            Minor point of order, but the vacuum advance is mainly a cruise function. Upon acceleration, manifold vacuum usually drops below the threshold of the vacuum cannister and there is no advance provided. Once back at cruise, manifold vacuum rises and vacuum advance returns.

jack vines
            I agree and I understand. What I am unsure of is that I actually have the vacuum advance attached to the CORRECT location. As Someone here has stated, the VA should NOT be attached to full manifold vacuum. I only have ONE port on the carb, and that is the one it is attached to, that appears to be port vacuum.

What have I done incorrectly or where can I source the PROPER information?

All the old Chevy's I have worked on would INCREASE in RPM when I attached the VA tube to the carb. This does NOT. That's part of the reason I am questioning the connection location.

Comment

I pulled a stromberg ww off the shelf and attached a tube to the port on the rear of the carb. With the throttle plates completely closed, the va port is partially uncovered. To my simple engineering mind, that means you should have va at idle. After all, the idle speed is set by opening up the throttle plates. I tested this by blowing through the attached tube. With the throttle plates completely closed, i was able to blow through the tube. To ensure that I was not crazy, i blocked the port the air was coming out in the throttle bore that was partially covered. When i did this, i was not able to blow through.

So my empirical testing established to my mind that some va should be present at idle.

If i am correct, the idle should indeed increase when va is connected. If it does not, i would suspect that the va diaphragm is faulty.

As always, there seem to differing beliefs on whether va is present at idle - so your results may vary.
              78 Avanti RQB 2792
              64 Avanti R1 R5408
              63 Avanti R1 R4551
              63 Avanti R1 R2281
              62 GT Hawk V15949
              56 GH 6032504
              56 GH 6032588
              55 Speedster 7160047
              55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

I just repeated the experiment with a wcfb as well as afb 3540s. The results are the same as with the stromberg.
                78 Avanti RQB 2792
                64 Avanti R1 R5408
                63 Avanti R1 R4551
                63 Avanti R1 R2281
                62 GT Hawk V15949
                56 GH 6032504
                56 GH 6032588
                55 Speedster 7160047
                55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

Originally posted by 64studeavanti View Post
                  I just repeated the experiment with a wcfb as well as afb 3540s. The results are the same as with the stromberg.
                  Thank you 64studeavanti!

I have cleaned up my distributor and confirmed with a vacuum pump that my vacuum advance is working and holding a vacuum as well as moving the advance plate inside the distributor, so I am confident that aspect is working.

I have never been real sure on the WCFB for the correct port. Last night, I read thru the Carter manual for the WCFB and it had one reference to the "Spark Advance vacuum port", but didn't identify specifically where it was, although it referenced a threaded port.

There is only one threaded port on the exterior of the WCFB and that is in the base of the carb, near the front, which is where I am attached, so I am guessing it is correct.

However, reading through it, I need to make some adjustments with the car warmed up, and level (I have a steep driveway) to further address the issues I am experiencing.

I still believe that the primary throttle shaft is worn out and causing a major air leak and I should consider finding a replacement.

I also need to do some tuning while using a vacuum gauge.

Comment

Working...
                  X