No announcement yet.

Super Red - paint code techincal question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have you tried the PPG or Dupont website?
    Mason's mix code is as you see there: 63S54R, when they were bought by PPG, maybe their old numbers cross over to PPG!

StudeRich
    Studebakers Northwest
    Ferndale, WA
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Have you tried the PPG or Dupont website?
      Mason's mix code is as you see there: 63S54R, when they were bought by PPG, maybe their old numbers cross over to PPG!

StudeRich
      Studebakers Northwest
      Ferndale, WA
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

quote:Originally posted by BobPalma

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

My original 9/63 Rinshed-Mason paint chart shows P-6325 Red as a Spring 1963 Color and as a regular order 1964 Color (with color chip) which they call "Red IRID", the IRID is their code for Metallic or Poly. It is a 1964 Studebaker color, not Avanti and must be Super Red!

StudeRich
        Studebakers Northwest
        Ferndale, WA
        Rich: IRID is short for iridescent, one definition of which is changing colors. That is how the industry first perceived metallic colors when IRID was first used to denote same.

I'll second Bill Pressler's motion; I've looked through hundreds of 1964 V-8 production orders for a variety of reasons, and have no reason to believe any 1964 model was painted Super Red, or even that it was available. [V]

Spring colors often carry over to a manufacturer's next production year, so maybe the folks at Rinshed-Mason assumed...and you know what that means! [:0] BP
        Bob P. - That is not the way that I interpret the chart provided by Rich. The asterick by the 1963 Super Red refers to the statement; "1963 Studebaker Spring colors only." To me, the "only" means that the Super Red from Spring 1963 was NOT carried over to the 1964 model year.

Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

quote:Originally posted by BobPalma

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

My original 9/63 Rinshed-Mason paint chart shows P-6325 Red as a Spring 1963 Color and as a regular order 1964 Color (with color chip) which they call "Red IRID", the IRID is their code for Metallic or Poly. It is a 1964 Studebaker color, not Avanti and must be Super Red!

StudeRich
          Studebakers Northwest
          Ferndale, WA
          Rich: IRID is short for iridescent, one definition of which is changing colors. That is how the industry first perceived metallic colors when IRID was first used to denote same.

I'll second Bill Pressler's motion; I've looked through hundreds of 1964 V-8 production orders for a variety of reasons, and have no reason to believe any 1964 model was painted Super Red, or even that it was available. [V]

Spring colors often carry over to a manufacturer's next production year, so maybe the folks at Rinshed-Mason assumed...and you know what that means! [:0] BP
          Bob P. - That is not the way that I interpret the chart provided by Rich. The asterick by the 1963 Super Red refers to the statement; "1963 Studebaker Spring colors only." To me, the "only" means that the Super Red from Spring 1963 was NOT carried over to the 1964 model year.

Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

The super red was a late 63 color only. The onlt mix you will find from a paint chart will be in acrylic lacquer or old enamel. I developed a acrylic enamel mix that matches very well. I think that mix is published on some stude sights. If you need it I can locate it I'm sure.

Comment

The super red was a late 63 color only. The onlt mix you will find from a paint chart will be in acrylic lacquer or old enamel. I developed a acrylic enamel mix that matches very well. I think that mix is published on some stude sights. If you need it I can locate it I'm sure.

Comment

Nels the mix would be great, or the direction to a website would be great. Thank you

Comment

Nels the mix would be great, or the direction to a website would be great. Thank you

Comment

The super red paint formula is at: www.ncsdc.com/TechnicalPages/PaintForms.htm
                    It is incorrectly under a 1964 color instead of a 63 color. The match is very good.
                    What are you painting super red??

Comment

The super red paint formula is at: www.ncsdc.com/TechnicalPages/PaintForms.htm
                      It is incorrectly under a 1964 color instead of a 63 color. The match is very good.
                      What are you painting super red??

Comment

Working...
                      X