Super Red - paint code techincal question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Super Red - paint code techincal question

Were there any differences between the paint codes for the Super Red color in 63 and 64 or were they the same color mix? Was Ditzler paints used for this color? Please advise. Thank you

58 Packard Wgn (Parade Red)
    58 Packard Wgn (Park Green)
    58 Packard Sdn (Shadowtone Red)
    62 Daytona (White)
    63 R2 Lark (Super Red)

No difference, and it was a fairly unattractive red IMHO.

JDP/Maryland
    63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
    spent to date $54664,75
    64 R2 GT (Sid)
    spent to date $62,439.30
    63 Lark 2 door
    51 Commander
    39 Coupe express
    39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

JDP/Maryland
      63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
      spent to date $54664,75
      64 R2 GT (Sid)
      spent to date $62,439.30
      63 Lark 2 door
      51 Commander
      39 Coupe express
      39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

I am nearly certain that Super Red was not available in the '64 model year.

Bill Pressler
        Kent, OH
        '63 Lark Daytona Skytop R1

quote:Originally posted by JDP

JDP/Maryland
        63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
        spent to date $54664,75
        64 R2 GT (Sid)
        spent to date $62,439.30
        63 Lark 2 door
        51 Commander
        39 Coupe express
        39 Coupe express (rod)

Bill Pressler
        Kent, OH
        (formerly Greenville, PA)
        Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
        Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
        1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
        1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
        All are in Australia now

Comment

I am nearly certain that Super Red was not available in the '64 model year.

Bill Pressler
          Kent, OH
          '63 Lark Daytona Skytop R1

quote:Originally posted by JDP

JDP/Maryland
          63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
          spent to date $54664,75
          64 R2 GT (Sid)
          spent to date $62,439.30
          63 Lark 2 door
          51 Commander
          39 Coupe express
          39 Coupe express (rod)

Bill Pressler
          Kent, OH
          (formerly Greenville, PA)
          Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
          Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
          1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
          1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
          All are in Australia now

Comment

My original 9/63 Rinshed-Mason paint chart shows P-6325 Red as a Spring 1963 Color (with color chip) which they call "Red IRID", the IRID is their code for Metallic or Poly. It is a 1964 Studebaker color, not Avanti and must be Super Red!

It's hue is a shade lighter looking and a bit muddier than Avanti Red (Maroon) and two shades lighter than Bordeaux Red.

I have never seen a Super Red '64 either, I think Bob is right the spring colors are carried over to the next year's chart,but not always used by the factory. Here is the '64 colors chips and '63 color list.
            [img][/img]
            [img][/img]
            StudeRich Studebakers Northwest Ferndale, WA
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

My original 9/63 Rinshed-Mason paint chart shows P-6325 Red as a Spring 1963 Color (with color chip) which they call "Red IRID", the IRID is their code for Metallic or Poly. It is a 1964 Studebaker color, not Avanti and must be Super Red!

It's hue is a shade lighter looking and a bit muddier than Avanti Red (Maroon) and two shades lighter than Bordeaux Red.

I have never seen a Super Red '64 either, I think Bob is right the spring colors are carried over to the next year's chart,but not always used by the factory. Here is the '64 colors chips and '63 color list.
              [img][/img]
              [img][/img]
              StudeRich Studebakers Northwest Ferndale, WA
              StudeRich

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

My original 9/63 Rinshed-Mason paint chart shows P-6325 Red as a Spring 1963 Color and as a regular order 1964 Color (with color chip) which they call "Red IRID", the IRID is their code for Metallic or Poly. It is a 1964 Studebaker color, not Avanti and must be Super Red!

StudeRich
                Studebakers Northwest
                Ferndale, WA
                Rich: IRID is short for iridescent, one definition of which is changing colors. That is how the industry first perceived metallic colors when IRID was first used to denote same.

I'll second Bill Pressler's motion; I've looked through hundreds of 1964 V-8 production orders for a variety of reasons, and have no reason to believe any 1964 model was painted Super Red, or even that it was available. [V]

Spring colors often carry over to a manufacturer's next production year, so maybe the folks at Rinshed-Mason assumed...and you know what that means! [:0] BP
                We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

My original 9/63 Rinshed-Mason paint chart shows P-6325 Red as a Spring 1963 Color and as a regular order 1964 Color (with color chip) which they call "Red IRID", the IRID is their code for Metallic or Poly. It is a 1964 Studebaker color, not Avanti and must be Super Red!

StudeRich
                  Studebakers Northwest
                  Ferndale, WA
                  Rich: IRID is short for iridescent, one definition of which is changing colors. That is how the industry first perceived metallic colors when IRID was first used to denote same.

I'll second Bill Pressler's motion; I've looked through hundreds of 1964 V-8 production orders for a variety of reasons, and have no reason to believe any 1964 model was painted Super Red, or even that it was available. [V]

Spring colors often carry over to a manufacturer's next production year, so maybe the folks at Rinshed-Mason assumed...and you know what that means! [:0] BP
                  We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                  "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Would it be safe to say that if I have a paint chip chart that states at the top of it.....1964 Studebaker....and it shows super red, it would of been the same paint mixture used for the 63 Super Red color? The paint chart that I have for 63 does not give the mix info, it only states Super Red and shows the paint chip. I have a 64 paint chip chart that gives all of the mixing info and the while the chips come close, there is a slight shade difference between the two. I am just wanting to confirm that if I use the mix off of the 1964 chart, I will be matching the 63 color. Please advise your thoughts. Or if someone is able to provide me the mixing info off of their 63 chart that would be outstanding. Please advise your thoughts and thank you for all of your input!

Comment

Would it be safe to say that if I have a paint chip chart that states at the top of it.....1964 Studebaker....and it shows super red, it would of been the same paint mixture used for the 63 Super Red color? The paint chart that I have for 63 does not give the mix info, it only states Super Red and shows the paint chip. I have a 64 paint chip chart that gives all of the mixing info and the while the chips come close, there is a slight shade difference between the two. I am just wanting to confirm that if I use the mix off of the 1964 chart, I will be matching the 63 color. Please advise your thoughts. Or if someone is able to provide me the mixing info off of their 63 chart that would be outstanding. Please advise your thoughts and thank you for all of your input!

Comment

Well is it Studebaker paint code P-6325 or not, looks simple to me. There you see it! [:0]

quote:Originally posted by 58PackardWagon

Would it be safe to say that if I have a paint chip chart that states at the top of it.....1964 Studebaker....and it shows super red, it would of been the same paint mixture used for the 63 Super Red color?
                        StudeRich
                        Studebakers Northwest
                        Ferndale, WA
                        StudeRich

Comment

Well is it Studebaker paint code P-6325 or not, looks simple to me. There you see it! [:0]

quote:Originally posted by 58PackardWagon

Would it be safe to say that if I have a paint chip chart that states at the top of it.....1964 Studebaker....and it shows super red, it would of been the same paint mixture used for the 63 Super Red color?
                          StudeRich
                          Studebakers Northwest
                          Ferndale, WA
                          StudeRich

Comment

Yes it is P-6325. Thank you. How do I find out the mix formula for that paint code?

Comment

Yes it is P-6325. Thank you. How do I find out the mix formula for that paint code?

Comment

Working...
                              X