Making keys from build sheet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making keys from build sheet?

I recently purchased a 53 Champion, and it didn't come with any keys.

Would the build sheet from the Studebaker Museum have the key numbers?

and could the key numbers be used to create new keys?

-- Scott
    64 Avanti R1 R5529

The key numbers are on the build sheet I have for the Hawk. I don't know about using them to make keys but a locksmith can impression the blanks and make keys for you.

Comment

Originally posted by scottsewall View Post
      I recently purchased a 53 Champion, and it didn't come with any keys.

Would the build sheet from the Studebaker Museum have the key numbers?

and could the key numbers be used to create new keys?

-- Scott
      1. Yes, the Production Order from The Studebaker National Museum will have the original key codes.

2. An old-timey locksmith with the appropriate key code book he never discarded would be able to make the keys for you from those codes, but it might be daunting to find an older locksmith so ready, willing, and able.

3. This presumes the locks in the car were never changed.

4. It is probably quicker, easier, and cheaper to remove the ignition switch and trunk lock (from inside the trunk, through the back seat) and take them to a locksmith and have keys made for them.

BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
      "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

does anyone here know of a locksmith who I (we) could mail the codes to for keys ??? There used to be a fellow @ York in times past ....

Comment

I have the key codes and most blanks and a locksmith close by that can cut them.
          I also have at least one hundred numbered keys.
          You maybe lucky and I may have a new key to fit your car.
          Text me the key number you need and I will check.
          I also have a lot of N.O.S. locks

Robert Kapteyn
          815 212 2389
          studebaker@mac.com

Comment

My neighbor lost his 1950 Champion keys, so he removed the ignition and glove box locks and took them to a local locksmith. I think the cost was about $40 for two sets of keys.

Comment

What would you do with those bright shiny keys made from the original factory key codes,
              if you had them made, and found the locks had been changed ?
              New keys made from your existing locks would be a sure fit.
              If you are looking at originality, you could have keys made from the factory code,
              then have the lock rekeyed if needed.
              South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

Quick update. Local locksmith made keys, but used the wrong blanks. I received ignition key from rkapteyn and it fits perfectly. Now it's off to get a battery and check out the electrical system.
                64 Avanti R1 R5529

Comment

Has anyone used Jessers? http://www.jessersclassickeys.com/

They're not too fare from me and all the lock shops in town say they won't do automotive work. Thanks.
                  John
                  59 Silver Hawk
                  3E12D-122-C4

Comment

There used to be a fellow way back in the alt.autos.studebaker newsgroup that could cut keys by number. Wonder if he's still around?

Comment

Working...
                    X