No announcement yet.

Special Factory Builds? 1 of 100?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I once read Mickey Rooney, Judy Garland and Kate Smith all owned Studebakers, but not specifically 1957 models.

I'm wondering if he thinks 100 President Classics were built specially equipped with factory air conditioning in 57. From what I know, that would be hard to determine and would require reviewing each production order.

Some of you may remember from previous posts that my father had a 55 President with the factory a/c (NOVI) system. I remember dad saying he heard 40 were built so equipped for the 55 model year. I don't remember his source and have no idea if it is anywhere near being accurate, but for sure, there were not many.

Just my thoughts

Bill Sapp
    Hamlet, NC

Comment

I once read Mickey Rooney, Judy Garland and Kate Smith all owned Studebakers, but not specifically 1957 models.

I'm wondering if he thinks 100 President Classics were built specially equipped with factory air conditioning in 57. From what I know, that would be hard to determine and would require reviewing each production order.

Some of you may remember from previous posts that my father had a 55 President with the factory a/c (NOVI) system. I remember dad saying he heard 40 were built so equipped for the 55 model year. I don't remember his source and have no idea if it is anywhere near being accurate, but for sure, there were not many.

Just my thoughts

Bill Sapp
      Hamlet, NC

Comment

Some feel collector car values are dropping. Perhaps this is the new level some dealers are stooping to to get a sale..
        Todd

63 Lark 2dr Sedan

Comment

Some feel collector car values are dropping. Perhaps this is the new level some dealers are stooping to to get a sale..
          Todd

63 Lark 2dr Sedan

Comment

There is no battery hold down!! Now what was said in a previous post about that??[}] Neal

Comment

There is no battery hold down!! Now what was said in a previous post about that??[}] Neal

Comment

Hi
                JDP, your experience notwithstanding, it is still unethical of them to advertise the car as "ONE OF 100 SPECIALLY BUILT PRESIDENTIAL CLASSICS" without offering substantial proof that it is. As too is the implication that celebrities of the period were owners of some of those 100 specially built cars.

Everyone on this forum knows how desperate Studebaker-Packard was for car sales in 1957 and the company wasn't about to limit the production of ANY model as long as there was one addition sale to be had. Example: the '57 Golden Hawk 400 wasn't limited to 41 cars, that was just the number they were able to sell.

My opinion of Volo, and it's just my opinion, is they are stretching the truth to the breaking point trying to wring all the money they can out of this car and many others they offer.
                Steve

Comment

Hi
                  JDP, your experience notwithstanding, it is still unethical of them to advertise the car as "ONE OF 100 SPECIALLY BUILT PRESIDENTIAL CLASSICS" without offering substantial proof that it is. As too is the implication that celebrities of the period were owners of some of those 100 specially built cars.

Everyone on this forum knows how desperate Studebaker-Packard was for car sales in 1957 and the company wasn't about to limit the production of ANY model as long as there was one addition sale to be had. Example: the '57 Golden Hawk 400 wasn't limited to 41 cars, that was just the number they were able to sell.

My opinion of Volo, and it's just my opinion, is they are stretching the truth to the breaking point trying to wring all the money they can out of this car and many others they offer.
                  Steve

Comment

quote:Check out Leonard Shepard's photos of Hershey elsewhere to see it.

Steve
                    Yes, this looks like the car that was for sale at Hershey. It is funny that I was talking to a bunch of Stude guys while looking at the car. The owner was not around and we wondered how much he wanted for the car. We all surmised that it would go for $12,000 to 15,000. I guess we were only half right!

Leonard Shepherd
                    http://leonardshepherd.com/

Comment

quote:Check out Leonard Shepard's photos of Hershey elsewhere to see it.

Steve
                      Yes, this looks like the car that was for sale at Hershey. It is funny that I was talking to a bunch of Stude guys while looking at the car. The owner was not around and we wondered how much he wanted for the car. We all surmised that it would go for $12,000 to 15,000. I guess we were only half right!

Leonard Shepherd
                      http://leonardshepherd.com/

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Neal in NM

Good post, Neal! We are going to have to start going by the internet time clock to see who is the first to notice no battery hold-down on cars posted for sale. (I'd say we'll have to score double points to the poster for a car that is represented as near perfect, as is this one!) BP
                        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                        "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Neal in NM

Good post, Neal! We are going to have to start going by the internet time clock to see who is the first to notice no battery hold-down on cars posted for sale. (I'd say we'll have to score double points to the poster for a car that is represented as near perfect, as is this one!) BP
                          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                          "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I wonder why I do not know that car. It not only has New York plates, but I think that those letters are from this area of the state. Maybe it is something that someone recently bought from elsewhere for resale. My first Studebaker was a 1957 President Classic.

Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                            Studebaker enthusiast much longer
                            Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

I wonder why I do not know that car. It not only has New York plates, but I think that those letters are from this area of the state. Maybe it is something that someone recently bought from elsewhere for resale. My first Studebaker was a 1957 President Classic.

Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                              Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

I guess you missed my point, I was agreeing with Bob Palma's post that perhaps a change in those in charge resulted in the new "hype" that was in fact missing when I bought a car from them. I was certainly not defending the current ebay ad, just surprised at the 180 degree turn in their ad policy from a honest, informative ad, to used car hype.

JDP/Maryland
                                63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
                                spent to date $54664,75
                                64 R2 GT (Sid)
                                spent to date $62,439.30
                                63 Lark 2 door
                                51 Commander
                                39 Coupe express
                                39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

Working...