Need example of dealership script -Colonial Motors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need example of dealership script -Colonial Motors

Looking for a photo of dealership script or dealership sticker on back of car or bumper for Colonial Motors. They were a Packard/Studebaker dealership (1958) in Arlington VA. Also does anyone know anyone who would have a license plate cover with this dealerships name on it? Please advise, Thank you

58 Packard Wgn (Parade Red)
    58 Packard Wgn (Park Green)
    58 Packard Sdn (Shadowtone Red)
    62 Daytona (White)
    63 R2 Lark (Super Red)

Most dealers only used ONE advertising item on the cars they sold: chrome nameplate, Decal or license frame. License frames seem to mostly be a West Coast thing, whereas the nameplates and stickers are Mid West/Eastern only roughly, no set dividing line really, and I am sure there are exceptions, depending on which manufacturer the dealers chose for their advertising, since none of it had anything to do with Studebaker Corp.

StudeRich
    Studebakers Northwest
    Ferndale, WA
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Most dealers only used ONE advertising item on the cars they sold: chrome nameplate, Decal or license frame. License frames seem to mostly be a West Coast thing, whereas the nameplates and stickers are Mid West/Eastern only roughly, no set dividing line really, and I am sure there are exceptions, depending on which manufacturer the dealers chose for their advertising, since none of it had anything to do with Studebaker Corp.

StudeRich
      Studebakers Northwest
      Ferndale, WA
      StudeRich

Comment

I am not so sure about the dealer license plate frames being a west coast thing. I have seen many east coast ones. I have one from Coggins Studebaker where the 64 Daytona I used to own was sold.

I have some dealer nameplates also in my display, but none for Colonial Motors. I have Mink Motors and HD (or HP) Motors.

Probably someone in the Potomac Chapter can locate one for you.

Leonard Shepherd
        http://leonardshepherd.com/

Comment

I am not so sure about the dealer license plate frames being a west coast thing. I have seen many east coast ones. I have one from Coggins Studebaker where the 64 Daytona I used to own was sold.

I have some dealer nameplates also in my display, but none for Colonial Motors. I have Mink Motors and HD (or HP) Motors.

Probably someone in the Potomac Chapter can locate one for you.

Leonard Shepherd
          http://leonardshepherd.com/

Comment

Contact Bob Johnston of the Potomac Chapter. Actually just go to their website at www.potomacsdc.org.

See you in the future as I write about our past
            sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

Contact Bob Johnston of the Potomac Chapter. Actually just go to their website at www.potomacsdc.org.

See you in the future as I write about our past
              sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

I would also try Skip Lackey in D.C. if Bob can't help out. Roger Penn in Fairfax (an Avanti II dealer) may also remember them.

Join me in removing narcissists, trolls, self annoited "experts" and general idiots via the Ignore button.

The official SDC Forum heel nipper ���

�Middle age is when your broad mind and narrow waist begin to change places.� E. Joseph Cossman

For every mile of road, there are 2 miles of ditch. ���

"All lies matter - fight the kleptocracy"

Comment

I would also try Skip Lackey in D.C. if Bob can't help out. Roger Penn in Fairfax (an Avanti II dealer) may also remember them.

Join me in removing narcissists, trolls, self annoited "experts" and general idiots via the Ignore button.

The official SDC Forum heel nipper ���

�Middle age is when your broad mind and narrow waist begin to change places.� E. Joseph Cossman

For every mile of road, there are 2 miles of ditch. ���

"All lies matter - fight the kleptocracy"

Comment

Well as I said it certainly is not an absolute, that's for sure. I can tell you this, we never saw a car with a nameplate or Decal unless it was from somewhere East of the West Coast!

quote:Originally posted by lstude

StudeRich
                    Studebakers Northwest
                    Ferndale, WA
                    StudeRich

Comment

Well as I said it certainly is not an absolute, that's for sure. I can tell you this, we never saw a car with a nameplate or Decal unless it was from somewhere East of the West Coast!

quote:Originally posted by lstude

StudeRich
                      Studebakers Northwest
                      Ferndale, WA
                      StudeRich

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

I don't know why or how owners of new cars would have stood for those dealer emblems. I mean, to take a BRAND NEW car and drill holes in it and attatch and UGLY "billboard" is just criminal!

I don't even like dealer plate frames on my cars--new OR vintage!

And you're right, Rich. In all my years I have NEVER seen an original CA car with a dealer emblem.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

I don't know why or how owners of new cars would have stood for those dealer emblems. I mean, to take a BRAND NEW car and drill holes in it and attatch and UGLY "billboard" is just criminal!

I don't even like dealer plate frames on my cars--new OR vintage!

And you're right, Rich. In all my years I have NEVER seen an original CA car with a dealer emblem.

Comment

Whenever I have purchased a car from a dealer, if they want to put their name on the car, I ask how much they want to pay me to advertise on my car. My standard fee used to be $100 per car end per year. I can only think of one exception. When we got our PT Cruiser new, it was the first one delivered in this area and it was from a dealership that I used to work for. I had dealership license plate frames on it for a short period of time. On Studebakers, I usually put a "Studebaker" frame on most cars because it can be read from a distance and it helps to prevent tailgating by those trying to read the small script on the car. My Acura has an alumni license plate frame on it from one of the colleges that I graduated from. I received it for a proper/sufficient donation to the college.

Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                            Studebaker enthusiast much longer
                            Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Whenever I have purchased a car from a dealer, if they want to put their name on the car, I ask how much they want to pay me to advertise on my car. My standard fee used to be $100 per car end per year. I can only think of one exception. When we got our PT Cruiser new, it was the first one delivered in this area and it was from a dealership that I used to work for. I had dealership license plate frames on it for a short period of time. On Studebakers, I usually put a "Studebaker" frame on most cars because it can be read from a distance and it helps to prevent tailgating by those trying to read the small script on the car. My Acura has an alumni license plate frame on it from one of the colleges that I graduated from. I received it for a proper/sufficient donation to the college.

Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                              Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Working...
                              X