R3 report in June 1963 Car Life

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R3 report in June 1963 Car Life

I found this on the H.A.M.B. thought it was interesting to see such a report when these R engines were knew to the automotive world.

Joe Roberts
    '61 R1 Champ
    '65 Cruiser
    Eastern North Carolina Chapter

I got 405 hp out of the last one we built.
    Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948
    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

I believe the engine compartment photo is of Avanti 63R-1025, which Ron & Geoff Crall of Maine now owns, and which they brought to the Warwick RI International Studebaker Meet this past summer!

Comment

Do the photos of the cylinder head combustion chamber look like the production R3?

jack vines
        PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
          Do the photos of the cylinder head combustion chamber look like the production R3?

jack vines
          Jack, in the above series of four 1963 photos, I do not believe that the short block, cylinder head and supercharger photos should be considered to be the same R3 engine as the R3 engine shown in the 'engine compartment' photo, which in all probability is the 299 CI engine installed in Avanti 63R-1025.

PS....those are A.G.'s arms/hands!

Comment

Those combustion chambers look like reworked standard heads. The R3s I've been involved with have a more oval combustion chamber, and less of the heart shape of the standard heads.
            Bez Auto Alchemy
            573-318-8948

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
              Those combustion chambers look like reworked standard heads. The R3s I've been involved with have a more oval combustion chamber, and less of the heart shape of the standard heads.
              In that case, the heads in the '63 photo could very well be to an early 299 CI R3 engine, possibly the engine installed in 63R-1025!

Comment

Is that an error in the intake diameter? Seems too small and the intake seat cut is close to the chamber wall. The cam duration seems wrong too. Those figures would calculate to more than 288 degrees.

Yes, those chambers are standard head ported chambers. You can see the eyebrow layback work. So that introduces the question of the intake used unless there was some head entrance welding to install the tall port R3 intake. Also first I ever heard of a dispute over the record runs certification.
                Start and Stage Your Studebakers

Comment

And the rest of the story on the unknown intake manifold and custom grind cam is????
                  Start and Stage Your Studebakers

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	- Restor'9 engine copy.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	1709700Click image for larger version

Name:	- Restor'10 engine.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	1709701Here are genuine R3 heads of B61 before restoration. Note the factory blocked off the center heat riser port with a pipe plug.
                    Last edited by bezhawk; 10-26-2016, 07:59 AM.
                    Bez Auto Alchemy
                    573-318-8948

Comment

Originally posted by 11SecAvanti View Post
                      And the rest of the story on the custom grind cam is????
                      R3 Urban Legend has it the original Paxton-built 299" engine's cam was an Ed Winfield grind and it and the ported stock heads made more horsepower than any of the production R3 304.5" engines.

jack vines
                      PackardV8

Comment

R3 Urban Legend has it the original Paxton-built 299" engine's cam was an Ed Winfield grind and it and the ported stock heads made more horsepower than any of the production R3 304.5" engines.

jack vines

Didn't one of the early 299 cu in R3 prototypes (maybe the engine in the R-1025?) get to that displacement through a combination of overbore and a small increase in stroke? I thought I remembered reading that the Granatellis believed the stroke increase would make the engine more competitive with the 426 wedge Mopars in 1/2 mile drag racing. It seems like a lot of trouble when you could easily get that displacement with a bore job.

Comment

R3/4 head.
                          Richard
                          Attached Files
                          The annual all Studebaker Nationals and Orphan Car Drag Race is Saturday May 27th 2017 9:00 am at Brown County Dragway in Bean Blossom, Indiana. "Studebaker Drag Racing you can't beat it" For more information contact Richard Poe

Comment

jack vines
                            I think you are right, Jack. The Winfield cam was probably installed in some of the engines on special order. I'm pretty sure the Bonneville R3s just used the the stock R3 cam.

Comment

R3 report in june 1963 car life

Here are 2 pictures of nos r3 heads
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X