56 hood repo medellion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 56 hood repo medellion

I can't find the thread but a while back someone expressed a an opinon on the repo 56 hood medellion( and tailgate) that sells for $75.00 #1314307. Does anyone know the quality of this part???? Thanks. Also going to have to order a complete lock set, 2 drs,tailgate and ign. any diff?? Yale or Hurd? I need to dig out my old ign switch to see what was in it, Are there two different types or just the locks?? Merry Christmas.

I remember the talk was that some of the repros are not exactly like original, maybe some are, but good quality and close to correct, just don't park next to an original car at the SDC car shows!

Hurd lock cylinders fit the standard Ign switch, you find this out by reading the 1955 to 1958 Studebaker Chassis Parts Catalog, which shows only one Ign. Switch for all, in a given year model range.

Of course all Studebakers have the shorter key 4 tumbler locks on Glove box matching the trunk or tailgate, and a longer Key 5 tumbler way higher quality, lock for doors and Ign.

That is so that you cannot open the car and drive it away with one of (4) trys with (4) other Stude. Ign./Door keys, like you can with the trunk/glove box ones!

StudeRich
    Studebakers Northwest
    Ferndale, WA
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

I remember the talk was that some of the repros are not exactly like original, maybe some are, but good quality and close to correct, just don't park next to an original car at the SDC car shows!

Hurd lock cylinders fit the standard Ign switch, you find this out by reading the 1955 to 1958 Studebaker Chassis Parts Catalog, which shows only one Ign. Switch for all, in a given year model range.

Of course all Studebakers have the shorter key 4 tumbler locks on Glove box matching the trunk or tailgate, and a longer Key 5 tumbler way higher quality, lock for doors and Ign.

That is so that you cannot open the car and drive it away with one of (4) trys with (4) other Stude. Ign./Door keys, like you can with the trunk/glove box ones!

StudeRich
      Studebakers Northwest
      Ferndale, WA
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

That particular repro is very nice, no complaints that I know of.

JDP/Maryland
        63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
        spent to date $54664,75
        64 R2 GT (Sid)
        spent to date $62,439.30
        63 Lark 2 door
        51 Commander
        39 Coupe express
        39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

That particular repro is very nice, no complaints that I know of.

JDP/Maryland
          63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
          spent to date $54664,75
          64 R2 GT (Sid)
          spent to date $62,439.30
          63 Lark 2 door
          51 Commander
          39 Coupe express
          39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

So I will need two different keys no matter what? Bare with me, my car came with no keys so I didn't know they were not all the same.

Comment

So I will need two different keys no matter what? Bare with me, my car came with no keys so I didn't know they were not all the same.

Comment

Key sets.

Using the vendors on the SDC website, locate a locksmith. contact them first, then send them one door lock and one glove compartment lock, and some money. Within two weeks you will receive keys for each. The door lock key will work the ignition, the glove box key will work the trunk lid. Not sure of tailgates

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Bothcars3.jpg[/img=left]
                Tom Bredehoft
                '53 Commander Coupe
                '55 President State Sedan (Under Construction) Project
                '60 Lark VI (Sold, delivery in early Jan.)
                '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
                All Indiana built cars

Comment

Key sets.

Using the vendors on the SDC website, locate a locksmith. contact them first, then send them one door lock and one glove compartment lock, and some money. Within two weeks you will receive keys for each. The door lock key will work the ignition, the glove box key will work the trunk lid. Not sure of tailgates

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Bothcars3.jpg[/img=left]
                  Tom Bredehoft
                  '53 Commander Coupe
                  '55 President State Sedan (Under Construction) Project
                  '60 Lark VI (Sold, delivery in early Jan.)
                  '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
                  All Indiana built cars

Comment

That's odd, I've only used the ones that fit in the trunk bezel, and they fit and looked fine. Maybe the red was off, but I wasn't anal enough to notice it.

JDP/Maryland
                    63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
                    spent to date $54664,75
                    64 R2 GT (Sid)
                    spent to date $62,439.30
                    63 Lark 2 door
                    51 Commander
                    39 Coupe express
                    39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

That's odd, I've only used the ones that fit in the trunk bezel, and they fit and looked fine. Maybe the red was off, but I wasn't anal enough to notice it.

JDP/Maryland
                      63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
                      spent to date $54664,75
                      64 R2 GT (Sid)
                      spent to date $62,439.30
                      63 Lark 2 door
                      51 Commander
                      39 Coupe express
                      39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

The emblems I refer to are for the hood and tailgate. SI says the hawk grill and the sedan hoods are the same. My tailgate matches the hood.
                        Just went and got both org. emblems. they are the same. And they look like Si #289509 emblem which they state as 50-51 land cruiser. Si does NOT show a picture of 1314307 so they may also look the same.

Comment

The emblems I refer to are for the hood and tailgate. SI says the hawk grill and the sedan hoods are the same. My tailgate matches the hood.
                          Just went and got both org. emblems. they are the same. And they look like Si #289509 emblem which they state as 50-51 land cruiser. Si does NOT show a picture of 1314307 so they may also look the same.

Comment

There WERE two versions available a bunch years ago, before I took ill. One sold at Reedsville for $25 a pop and the other version was about $75 or more at the time. I think I have a NOS one in my collection downstairs that I bought from the A&M Garage in the late 80's.

I do not know about any color issues, but on the less expensive one the word Studebaker was not centered and the blck paint in the letters was fuzzy.

Comment

There WERE two versions available a bunch years ago, before I took ill. One sold at Reedsville for $25 a pop and the other version was about $75 or more at the time. I think I have a NOS one in my collection downstairs that I bought from the A&M Garage in the late 80's.

I do not know about any color issues, but on the less expensive one the word Studebaker was not centered and the blck paint in the letters was fuzzy.

Comment

Working...
                              X