Studebaker Avanti Grill Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker Avanti Grill Question

The grill in my Avanti and a spare grill I have, both have black vertical bars between the horizontal ones. Is the normal? Thanks...Mike

Mike - Assistant Editor, Turning Wheels
    Fort Worth, TX

1964 Avanti R2 #R-4986

Mike, the originals I have seen have the black paint.

Comment

Thank you Jeff.
      Fort Worth, TX

1964 Avanti R2 #R-4986

Comment

It is not too surprising to me looking at those, that they were made by a Bar-B-Q Grill Co.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
          It is not too surprising to me looking at those, that they were made by a Bar-B-Q Grill Co.
          Thats very cool Rich. Maybe be a good use for the one I don't use, a genuine Avanti Grill.
          Fort Worth, TX

1964 Avanti R2 #R-4986

Comment

You know, the old Land Rover owners use their Grille as a grill when camping? Perhaps this one might hold up to that too? However, anything Avanti is so very expensive and hard to find, I think I'd look around for an old Rover grille instead.
            Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
            K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
            Ron Smith
            Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Mike, the grill was a running change ordered by Mr. Egbert. Both of my cars have that exact grill.
              sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

Mine have all been just like that.

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                  Do you have some specific evidence of that? If not, they may have been made by a wire products company. Wire Products companies specialize in wire straightening, wire bending, cutting to length, spot welding, and lattice welding. It is a unique industry with different skills.
                  sigpic 1963 Studebaker Avanti: LS1 motor and T-56 transmission have been moved rearward, set up as a two seat coupe with independent rear suspension. Complex solutions for nonexistant problems.

Comment

Originally posted by Avantidon View Post
                    Mike, the grill was a running change ordered by Mr. Egbert. Both of my cars have that exact grill.
                    The air intake grille was in Service Letter No. 166, 7/24/63. 1963 model Avantis were pretty much all assembled by then. The Service Letter makes the kit available for installation on earlier Avantis at an uninstalled list price of $34.
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by grobb284 View Post
                      Do you have some specific evidence of that? If not, they may have been made by a wire products company.
                      IIRC, the urban legend was the grilles were made by a refrigerator manufacturer, possibly the Whirlpool plant in Evansville, IN.

jack vines
                      PackardV8

Comment

Working...
                      X