No announcement yet.

Our Ultimate Road Trip...continues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sarah has been walking the concours area with me every day to see the cars and see the news ones that arrive. She decided she really likes the Champ, and said if she could get one, she like to work on it with me. I think she's hooked. She prefers the narrow bed with the old-style fenders.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Sarah_with_Champ_01_r_rot.jpg Views:	0 Size:	154.4 KB ID:	1911044 Click image for larger version  Name:	Sarah_with_Champ_02_r_rot.jpg Views:	0 Size:	151.0 KB ID:	1911045 Click image for larger version  Name:	Sarah_with_Champ_03_r_rot.jpg Views:	0 Size:	143.5 KB ID:	1911046
    Mark L

Comment

Good to see you're having a nice time, Mark...."For it's always fair weather..." (That'll keep 'em guessing for awhile.) BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
      "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Our Ultimate Road Trip continues. We drove to South Bend today (Sunday Sept. 12) to visit my parents. We took Dad to Mass at St. Patrick's church, then went to Bonnie Doon's for dinner.

I met a lot of great people this week, and spent a lot of time with my youngest daughter. Despite the heat and some issues with the car, the photograph we took on the way back to where my Dad lives was the icing on the cake.

This is my father and I with my Lark outside Building 84, where he spent most of his time at Studebaker. (No, we were not doing donuts in the parking lot before we took the photograph). This is in the large parking lot south of Building 84 and north of the jail.

I know a lot of former Studebaker employees can no longer see the buildings where they worked because most have been torn down. The one building that remains is where my father spent much of his time. He walked the length of the upper floors several times a day doing his job.

I know most of those who attended the IM are probably home by now. It will be another 5 days before our Ultimate Road Trip is complete.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Dad_ande_Mark_at_buidling_84_02_r_rot.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	1911351
        Mark L

Comment

Great picture. What was his job?
          RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
          10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
          10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
          4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
          5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
          56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
          60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Dad worked in Production Control. In Building 84, he had to make sure cars that had problems didn't stay in the repair bays too long.
            Mark L

Comment

We arrived in Omaha last night, and this morning we met my daughter's friend for breakfast. We then drove to Rapid City for the night. Today's drive was much more pleasant than yesterday, as the temperature was cooler and less humid.

Today I found out one of my older sisters had the photograph in post #18 printed and gave it to my father to display it in his apartment. My daughter and I also gave him a 1:18 model of a 1950 Champion Starlight coupe for his apartment. My sister said he can't stop talking about it.
              Mark L

Comment

One again, more proof that Studebaker was ahead of its time: This Lark is a hybrid that runs on Dunkin'. My daughter loves Dunkin' Donuts, but we don't have any near Seattle. We stopped at Dunkin' every morning to fuel the start of each day. This is the fuel we purchased the morning we left South Bend to head west. We just drop it into the Flux Capacitor and it's converted into horizontal acceleration.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Lark_runs_on_Dunkin_r_rot.jpg Views:	0 Size:	138.3 KB ID:	1911792
                Last edited by Mark L; 09-17-2021, 09:36 PM.
                Mark L

Comment

Yesterday on our way to Rapid City we stopped at the rest stop in Chamberlain, South Dakota where the Dignity Statue is located.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Dignity_statue_Chamberlain_r.jpg Views:	0 Size:	118.4 KB ID:	1911794
                  Last edited by Mark L; 09-17-2021, 09:36 PM.
                  Mark L

Comment

This morning after we left the hotel in Rapid City, my daughter and I went to Mount Rushmore, the Crazy Horse Monument, and Devils Tower in Wyoming. We arrived in Billings Montana this evening as the sun was setting.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Mt_Rushmore_r_rot.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	168.7 KB
ID:	1911796 Click image for larger version

Name:	Crazy_Horse_monument_r_rot.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	138.8 KB
ID:	1911797
                    Mark L

Comment

Road trips are nutrition for the soul....
                      Thanks for sharing
                      Bill Foy
                      1000 Islands, Ontario
                      1953 Starlight Coupe

Comment

It's great to have time with your daughter, they grow up fast and have a life of their own before you know it.

Comment

We arrived in Missoula Montana tonight and will be spending the night with my sister, her husband, and their son. We'll be home tomorrow evening. I didn't upload the picture in #24 above, but when we parked at the Crazy Horse Monument, we parked next to 7 or 8 Cobras with license plates from various states. The first car is partially visible to the right of my car. None of the owners were in the parking lot when we arrived, and all of them were gone when we came out of the visitor center about 45 minutes later, so I didn't get to speak with any of the owners.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Lark_and_Cobras_r_rot.jpg Views:	0 Size:	133.3 KB ID:	1911963
                          Last edited by Mark L; 09-17-2021, 09:30 PM.
                          Mark L

Comment

Looks like you had a great trip. Philipsburg and Georgetown lake are part of my old stomping grounds. Lots of snow there for snowmobiles in the winter. You should start looking for a Champ for your daughter before the Bug wears off. It's cool that the two of you had the chance to make the trip, and the memories.

Comment

We returned home this evening. The last of the drive from Missoula to Seattle was comfortable. It rained as we passed through central Washington, and was raining as we crossed Snoqualmie Pass and continued west on I-90. The round trip was a total of 5,578.1 miles, which included all our side trips and trips to/from the Marion County Fairgrounds from our hotel.

This is a view looking south from an overlook on the east rim of the Columbia River gorge. The I-90 bridge across the river is in the distance. West of the river, I-90 climbs the "Vantage Hill", a ten-mile stretch of 3 to 5% grade to the top of the Columbia Plateau.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Columbia_river_r_rot.jpg Views:	0 Size:	85.8 KB ID:	1912122
                              Mark L

Comment

What a wonderful adventure, Mark. Thanks for the reports and congratulations on the safe arrival home. BP
                                We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                                "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Working...
                                X