X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bob Bryant
    replied
    A friend and I attended the meet on Thursday and enjoyed it very much. My Niantic, CT home is for sale and my plans are to relocate to South Bend. Carol and I lived just over the border in Michigan for 23 years leaving in 1988. God willing my goal is for me and my Avanti to be at the 2017 meet in South Bend next year. Kind of related.

Leave a comment:

• studeguy54
    replied
    Originally posted by MikeK View Post
    I thought the show very nice as I am a new owner of a Studebaker and completely new to SDC. I was just a little surprised when I drove in that there was no one to direct us where to go prior to registration. I also know I don't know all that goes on but I am amazed that this is a closed show. I can only see added benefits to the SDC by allowing the public at least one day for a/an entrance fee to take in the beauty of these vehicles on display and to visit and support the venders. More traffic almost always means more intake of dollars.
    If I may add my 2 cents worth to this post, this is precisely the reason the International Meets, beginning with South Bend 2017 will present a new image to the public. With a "pure" Car Show on Saturday, and ALL judging of Studebakers taking place on Thursday and Friday of the meet (at the St Joseph County Fairgrounds), the show on Saturday will be just that...a show, of Studebakers....to the public. I believe Bob Palma quote the term "alligator show" to indicate "hoods-up", "trunk lids open", and doors standing open. All the things that detract from the beauty of our cars. That will be no more. Hopefully, if our registrants cooperate, people can enjoy the true beauty of our Studebakers.

Our meets are NEVER a closed show, and if people have that perception, I believe it will be addresses beginning at South Bend May 3-6, 2017. The Saturday Car Show, as well as all other events on the
    St Joseph County Fairgrounds will be open to non-members for a $5 gate fee. Club Members registered for the meet will pay $0.00. We encourage vendors of all types to participate.

Watch Turning Wheels and the SDC Meet site at http://www.sdcmeet.com for more information on the upcoming meet.

Denny Foust
    for the SDC International Meet Committee
    studeguy54@verizon.net

Leave a comment:

• raoul5788
    replied
    There was a sign in the main lobby directing everyone to the registration, or you could have simply asked at the front desk.

Leave a comment:

• MikeK
    replied
    Originally posted by jclary View Post
    Perhaps it is already being done, but, it would be great to offer a special "welcome" to first time visitors at a national meet. Also, great to welcome and identify new SDC members at a meet too. Heck, even NASCAR identifies rookie drivers with a yellow bumper on their cars. We could do something similar with color coded name tags. Perhaps, a few designated volunteer "Meet Hosts" willing to share a bit of club history, protocol, and down home friendship, would go a long way in assuring folks we are a group worth belonging to.
    That is all well and good, I would happily display something to show I am a new member as I did learn a lot of people were all to happy to help once i was parked and inside. ...I did have prior engagements in a couple of southern states so i did not return to the northeast until Tuesday of the show and prepped my truck weds and drove it weds night from NJ to RI on a nice leisurely drive up I-95. Check into show on Thursday morning. I ended up in the area to wash my truck first before I could find someone to advise me where I could go to register. ( I did take advantage of rinsing off and wiping it down before i drove around to other side of building to check in).

Leave a comment:

• jclary
    replied
    Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
    I believe next year's show will use a shorter, three-day format with an open car show on Saturday.
    Perhaps it is already being done, but, it would be great to offer a special "welcome" to first time visitors at a national meet. Also, great to welcome and identify new SDC members at a meet too. Heck, even NASCAR identifies rookie drivers with a yellow bumper on their cars. We could do something similar with color coded name tags. Perhaps, a few designated volunteer "Meet Hosts" willing to share a bit of club history, protocol, and down home friendship, would go a long way in assuring folks we are a group worth belonging to.

Leave a comment:

• Skip Lackie
    replied
    Originally posted by MikeK View Post
    I thought the show very nice as I am a new owner of a Studebaker and completely new to SDC. I was just a little surprised when I drove in that there was no one to direct us where to go prior to registration. I also know I don't know all that goes on but I am amazed that this is a closed show. I can only see added benefits to the SDC by allowing the public at least one day for a/an entrance fee to take in the beauty of these vehicles on display and to visit and support the venders. More traffic almost always means more intake of dollars.
    I believe next year's show will use a shorter, three-day format with an open car show on Saturday.

Leave a comment:

• MikeK
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Skip Lackie
    replied
    Originally posted by tomnoller View Post
    Tuesday of the meet, my wife and I visited and mostly walked around outside. I got some great Avanti advice from Michael Myers and then we went inside to shake hands with friends Chuck and Chris Collins, the Reynolds' and Betty Myers - also spoke with Richard Quinn looking fit as the proverbial fiddle - and as we were about to leave, a very nice gent from Derry, NH I believe, as gently as possible told us we had to go. I guess to me, having to be registered in order to patronize the indoor vendors seems as tho it we discourage guys like me who could only come one day and newcomers to Studebakering when we should be more welcoming. However, I realize there are costs involved to make this all happen... so maybe a $5 fee would be a good idea for the inside vendors. I'd have paid that.
    It might be worth considering establishing a cheap one-day fee for people who can't attend more of the meet than that. That said, there may be concerns about generating new work for either (unpaid) volunteers or Cornerstone during an already busy time. This is why the fee structure strongly encourages pre-registration as far in advance as possible.

Next year, vehicles will be encouraged to stay through Saturday for a car show at which the public would be invited, so one could see most of the vehicles for free. Sounds good, but some owners always pull out early. I saw several trailered vehicles on their way out of Warwick before noon on Thursday.

Leave a comment:

• tomnoller
    replied
    Tuesday of the meet, my wife and I visited and mostly walked around outside. I got some great Avanti advice from Michael Myers and then we went inside to shake hands with friends Chuck and Chris Collins, the Reynolds' and Betty Myers - also spoke with Richard Quinn looking fit as the proverbial fiddle - and as we were about to leave, a very nice gent from Derry, NH I believe, as gently as possible told us we had to go. I guess to me, having to be registered in order to patronize the indoor vendors seems as tho it we discourage guys like me who could only come one day and newcomers to Studebakering when we should be more welcoming. However, I realize there are costs involved to make this all happen... so maybe a $5 fee would be a good idea for the inside vendors. I'd have paid that.

Leave a comment:

• 1954khardtop
    replied
    Bob,
    I pre-registered display only, but upgraded to judged at check in on arrival Wednesday, so your count may be off by one.

Leave a comment:

• paul shuffleburg
    replied
    For anyone not registered for the meet they would have to pay the $55 registration and not
    five dollars. I had to tell people all week that they were not welcomed and they had to leave.
    Not my choice but my job.

Leave a comment:

• BobPalma
    replied
    As I understand it, a few more than 100 vehicles judged, and a few less than 100 for display only. And another couple of dozen inexplicably parked in the general parking lot and not on the field. Weather has cooperated -- a few showers in the area on Wed, but none on the field itself. Concours day was about 80 degrees F and sunny.
    Skip (and others): I spoke with Mark Wheeler at the Cornerstone Registration Desk late Thursday. At that time, he said there had been 408 Registrations that represented 818 people total, since some registrations were spouses and family and, thus, represented more than one person.

He also said exactly 100 Studebaker vehicles had been registered for judging, plus another 94 cars registered for display. Total Studebaker vehicles accounted for: 194.

I thought that was a bit low; that it appeared there were more than 200 cars on the show field, an opinion shared by Co-Chairman Gary Ash when I offered it. So I took it upon myself to count the cars on the show field and came up with 231, plus another 4 strays in what had been the Studebaker-exclusive parking lot all week that were not on the show field. Apparently, some folks who had registered for the meet had not bothered to register their Studebaker, but parked on the show field anyway on show day; understandable.

So I'd say that unless someone has a more accurate count , there were approximately 235 Studebaker vehicles of all types on the show field Thursday. BP
    Last edited by BobPalma; 07-03-2016, 05:31 AM. Reason: spelling

Leave a comment:

• Skip Lackie
    replied
    Originally posted by StudeDave57 View Post
    There's always a reason. Usually it has to do with costs involved for simply parking a car on the field just for display. Sometimes folks don't want to sit it out all day if there are restrictions as to when they can leave. Other times it might be as in the example posted above- someone showed up too late to get registered in time for judging.

One solution I have seen is for someone to catch the drivers before they leave their car and have them move if they so desire. Did anyone do that?
    The Studes were parked in a designated parking area Sunday - Wednesday. Those that registered for either judging or display were asked to move onto a specified grassy area on Thursday morning. Not sure how anyone would necessarily be able to find the owners of the vehicles that were still in the parking lot. As you noted, those that didn't move probably hadn't registered for the meet in the first place.

Leave a comment:

• Deaf Mute
    replied
    Skip,
    Your comments were RIGHT ON!
    These meets are ENTIRELY run by UNPAID volunteers who mostly do the best they can.

The rules were posted well in advance & the only item I noticed missing was signage indicating that a non-registered guest could gain access to the indoor swap meet by paying a $5.00 fee (and perhaps getting a wrist tag?).

At least I think that was what was supposed to happen at every meet since Cedar Rapids.

Leave a comment:

• StudeDave57
    replied
    And another couple of dozen inexplicably parked in the general parking lot and not on the field.
    There's always a reason. Usually it has to do with costs involved for simply parking a car on the field just for display. Sometimes folks don't want to sit it out all day if there are restrictions as to when they can leave. Other times it might be as in the example posted above- someone showed up too late to get registered in time for judging.

One solution I have seen is for someone to catch the drivers before they leave their car and have them move if they so desire. Did anyone do that?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X