This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• host hotel area vs. Ferguson influence

Not familiar with the host hotel area, wondering with ferguson being about 10 to 12 miles away, what do you think the situation will be like given the recent 1 year anniversary events and demonstrations that took place yesterday?
    Is anyone on here from that area?? I would love to know some facts.

I am bringing 2 children with the wife and not sure we want to be that close to any potential random acts of violence or vandalism. Coming from twin cities mn, with family that live or lived in mpls, so i am not afraid to be in a diverse area, and am not usually one to shy away from this kind of issues, especially since i have no idea what kind of city surroundings the host hotel is in, but we also want to go sightseeing around the city and dont want to end up in the wrong part of town.
    Thoughts, concerns?

Excellent question.
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Having spent most of my life in the Twin Cities, and now being quite familiar with St. Louis as several really good friends live there, I will tell you that the meet will be safe and you will probably not even detect any of Ferguson's influence. The area where the meet is reminds me of 494 around the Cities, meaning lots of office complexes with nice neighborhoods. St. Louis had a lot more wealth from its days as the gateway to the west than the Twin Cities. That is evident in the large number of neighborhoods that remind me of Kenwood or Summit Ave.

I will be driving my Studebaker around town. If you chose to drive downtown St. Louis, it would be like driving to downtown Minneapolis, just through nicer neighborhoods. A good tour for the family on city streets would be down through Creve Coeur, Clayton and around Forest Park.

Comment

The actions of a few criminals don't define St. Louis as a whole. If you are driving through a ghetto in any city, you should be aware of your surroundings. It's common sense.
        Unfortunately I 70 from the east (driving west from the downtown area) looks like a war zone with lots of empty and decrepit buildings. It has been this way for many years, and has NO bearing on the Ferguson difficulties. There are many places with million dollar homes, and lush parks, etc.
        Bez Auto Alchemy
        573-318-8948
        http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

And it is eight miles from the host hotel.
          Just wondering what the club is doing to advise travellers to get safely to the meet.

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
          The actions of a few criminals don't define St. Louis as a whole. If you are driving through a ghetto in any city, you should be aware of your surroundings. It's common sense.
          Unfortunately I 70 from the east (driving west from the downtown area) looks like a war zone with lots of empty and decrepit buildings. It has been this way for many years, and has NO bearing on the Ferguson difficulties. There are many places with million dollar homes, and lush parks, etc.

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Comment

Like any other big city with undesirable neighborhoods known for bad behaviour, if one really MUST go there for any reason, then travel only in a group, and not at night when most of these incidences that make the national news occur.

Craig

Comment

Be careful, the "demonstrators" have been shutting down traffic on I70. Allow some extra time if traveling that way.

Comment

Since I live in St. Louis let me add my 2 cents.
                It is of no concern to me to attend the event with my wife and family. granted it is only 10 miles from the activity but they do a very good job of keeping the violent protesters confined to Ferguson. while there are other peaceful protests in other areas I have not heard of any violence occurring outside the Ferguson area. If it was me I was going to venture of campus for an evening meal I would go south or west.

Comment

I will let Don or Lew answer this but I live here also and am taking my 88 Avanti Convertible there just to have a car there and will let it sit outside on the lot. I am too busy with the meet to show it etc,. I would not do this if I were concerned about damage. My daughter and grand daughter will be driving there for the first couple days until school starts and I would not let this happen if I were concerned.

Lew and Don are very busy this week with last minute details. I know they have talked to the local Maryland Heights police and to the complex security folks about this concern and believe we will be happy with what they come up with.

My understanding is that once again the issues in Ferguson are being caused by folks brought in from out of the area to cause trouble.

There are actually parts of Ferguson which are very nice and I feel completely comfortable in.

As Brad said above, crime in Maryland Heights is very low.
                  Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
                  1961 Hawk 4-speed
                  1967 Avanti
                  1961 Lark 2 door
                  1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

Lew Schucart
                    Editor, Avanti Magazine

Comment

Thank you, Lew...

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
                        And it is eight miles from the host hotel.
                        Just wondering what the club is doing to advise travellers to get safely to the meet.
                        The interstate highways coming into the St. Louis area and to our meet do not go through Ferguson, and are fine to drive.
                        Lew Schucart
                        Editor, Avanti Magazine

Comment

Thanks, Lew!

I suspected such an answer, but just feel better confirming my slight doubts.

Comment

Thanks Champ51!

Comment

Working...
                            X