Announcement

Collapse

This channel is for questions about how to use the Forum.

Please do not post automotive questions here.

See more
See less

What time zone is the Forum in?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• showbizkid
    replied
    That makes sense. The personalization is tied to user-entered location data; the Forum software does not perform or react to any visitor IP address lookups.

Leave a comment:

• 64studeavanti
    replied
    So, the p13n (personalization) does not occur until you log in. The web apps I architected supported both p13n and i18n (internationalization) depending on user profile. We were a global company, so we allowed the users to specify their preferred language, currency as well as other local and personal preferences.

Leave a comment:

• 64studeavanti
    replied
    One other useful piece of info, If I log in, my browser now diplays GMT.

Leave a comment:

• showbizkid
    replied
    Originally posted by 64studeavanti View Post
    The bottom of the page states GMT-8 when using a browser. When using my phone, it states GMT. Not sure why. Before I retired, we always set our web servers to GMT and allowed the various browsers to adjust.
    The server is set to GMT.

The browsers adjust, if they're allowed to do so. Most desktop computer browsers do so automatically. Some phone browsers (notably Safari) do not.

Leave a comment:

• 64studeavanti
    replied
    The bottom of the page states GMT-8 when using a browser. When using my phone, it states GMT. Not sure why. Before I retired, we always set our web servers to GMT and allowed the various browsers to adjust.

Leave a comment:

• showbizkid
    replied
    Originally posted by ddub View Post
    I think you can set your time zone and the post shows when it was posted in your time zone. Things posted at 6:00 a.m. eastern show as 3:00 a.m. on my computer.
    ^^^This. The time shown is relative to where you are, rovided the time zone in your Profile is set correctly.

Leave a comment:

• ddub
    replied
    I think you can set your time zone and the post shows when it was posted in your time zone. Things posted at 6:00 a.m. eastern show as 3:00 a.m. on my computer.

Leave a comment:

• Commander Eddie
    replied
    Originally posted by 64studeavanti View Post
    It should be GMT.
    That can't be. GMT would make it the time in England. That's what we used to use in the Navy for setting our crypto gear.

Leave a comment:

• 64studeavanti
    replied
    Interesting, the time correctly shows 4:50 p.m. GMT on my phone. Using both Chrome and internet explorer on a computer, the time is showing 8:50 a.m.

Leave a comment:

• 64studeavanti
    replied
    The post I just made @12:50 p.m. EDT correctly shows 4:50 p.m. GMT.

Leave a comment:

• 64studeavanti
    replied
    It should be GMT.

Leave a comment:

• garyash
    replied
    Never mind: the next time I looked at the Forum, the time of posting had been updated to the "correct" time, 10:48 EDT.

Leave a comment:

• garyash
    started a topic What time zone is the Forum in?

What time zone is the Forum in?

I've always been confused by posts that seem to be done in the middle of the night. This morning, I made a post at about 10:48 a.m. Eastern Daylight Time. What showed up on my post was a time of 6:48 a.m. I think that is the Alaska time zone - and also one French Polynesian island. Why is the time of posts set this way?
Working...
X