Announcement

Collapse

This channel is for questions about how to use the Forum.

Please do not post automotive questions here.

See more
See less

Undecipherable PM section

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• showbizkid
    replied
    For help and how-to, please refer to this Sticky thread here in the "Help" channel.

Yes, it's a poor design. Hopefully the vendors address that in a future patch.

Leave a comment:

• Skip Lackie
    replied
    One wonders why some (presumably) professional IT people would design a PM system that is so clunky to use that it drives people away. It's supposed to be a tool that can be used to make communication easier. Reminds me of a few microbrewery brew masters who delight in brewing weird, horrible-tasting beers just to prove it can be done.

Leave a comment:

• RadioRoy
    replied
    Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
    I don't know about that, Roy.
    This new system still has private messages I sent or received from half a dozen years ago.
    OK. Let's just say that I personally do not like it and will not give estimates via the PM system.

Leave a comment:

• rockne10
    replied
    Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
    I do not like the PM system on this forum. It is not a permanent record.
    I don't know about that, Roy.
    This new system still has private messages I sent or received from half a dozen years ago.

Leave a comment:

• RadioRoy
    replied
    I'm really glad this came up. I do not like the PM system on this forum. It does not work for my business model.

When someone PM's me regarding radio work, I always reply and ask them to send me an email and give them my email address. My discussions of what they want and estimates of price are archived that way so I do not forget.

The problem is that half the time they never send me an email back. Why? Did they not get my PM reply? Are they insulted about having to contact me twice? Did they change their mind?

Please do not send me a PM. My email address is in my profile, as everyone's should be.

And if you do send me an email, please do not simply title it "radio" in the subject line. "Radio" might make sense to you because you only have one, but I get so many communiques titled "radio" that it's hard to sort them out. "62 Hawk radio" or something like that is much more descriptive and I can find it later when required.

But still... the first thing people do is send a PM.
    Last edited by RadioRoy; 01-27-2021, 10:15 AM.

Leave a comment:

• tsenecal
    replied
    When you get to where you can see the first reply, you have to click on the title of the PM "thread", and all of the responses will show up. I am barely computer savvy enough to get by, but that worked for me.

Leave a comment:

• 52-fan
    replied
    With patience it all works out, but I am not a fan of this particular system either. I try to refer people to my regular email for extended communication.

Leave a comment:

• r1lark
    replied
    The PMs work sort of like a thread in the forum. If someone sends you a PM, then you reply to that PM, then the original sender replies to you, it will all be on one thread. You won't have multiple messages like you would with email.

Yes, the PM section is weird, I'm sure not defending it! It has quirks that will really mess you up. I'm just patiently waiting for the next forum software upgrade, hoping the PM system will be much better.

Leave a comment:

• rbisacca
    started a topic Undecipherable PM section

Undecipherable PM section

I find the PM section of this Forum to be poorly designed and almost impossible to use. I'm currently corresponding with a fellow member and although I've told him to use my real email address for some reason he continues to use PM. I want to access all our messages but when I go to my inbox all I see is the first one he sent me. No matter what I do that's all I find. When I go to the sent message section I also only find the first message he sent to me. None of the ones that I sent to him.

I know I'm not the only one who thinks the PM function sucks. When I've corresponded with another forum member (I won't mention his name) he specifically told me to use his real email as he refuses to use PM.
Working...
X