Announcement

Collapse

This channel is for questions about how to use the Forum.

Please do not post automotive questions here.

See more
See less

Appropriate use of the "For Sale/items wanted" forum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• showbizkid
    replied
    Good topic, and thanks for your thoughtfulness John. I have noticed some of this but decided just to let things take their course, but as has been noted, sometimes the original topic gets lost in the sometimes-slightly-related followups, which isn't fair to the original poster.

Something else to remember is that the Sale / Want channel has a limited lifespan. Generally speaking, topics there are only meant to exist for a maximum of 30 days from the original post, and then are swept clean. So technical information posted within them gets nuked as well. Best to do these things, as you noted, in Tech or General, and ping the member for whom the information is meant using the "@" symbol in front of their username - like so: jclary .

Leave a comment:

• jclary
    replied
    Skip, I think you make a great point. And, we shouldn't demand to be so rigid as to not allow for some flexibility. However, in the example you pose, such a topic could be made in the Tech or General forum and a reference link posted for the benefit of the seller in the for sale forum.

A good example is a currently posted request for a source of new rod bolts? Last time I checked, Jeff Rice and possibly others had provided answers. Those are the kind of responses I see as very appropriate and directly helpful.

Leave a comment:

• Skip Lackie
    replied
    I guess I would add a complication: are you just sniping at the price/condition/description, or are you helping a potential buyer understand what is being sold? For example, I frequently see 2R5 trucks (originally Champion 6 engine) listed for sale with Stude V8 engines. Such engine swaps were very common back in the 50s and 60s -- used Stude V8 engines were thick on the ground, and were an easy replacement for a worn-out Champion 6. I suspect that some of the sellers don't even realize their truck doesn't have its original engine. Would it be wrong to point out such a model number - engine discrepancy?
    Last edited by Skip Lackie; 09-21-2020, 07:02 AM. Reason: typo

Leave a comment:

• jackb
    replied
    agreed.....if you want to discuss sale of a vehicle (or parts)..... do so with the owner / poster privately.... that's where the pro's & con's should reside.... if you are not a buyer of the item(s)... move on ..... good point ....

Leave a comment:

• jclary
    started a topic Appropriate use of the "For Sale/items wanted" forum

Appropriate use of the "For Sale/items wanted" forum

For quite a while, especially for newer forum members, we saw postings requesting a "classified" section of the forum. So, we finally got one. However, unlike some forums I belong to, we seem to be lacking in proper decorum in how we treat this feature. Before making this post, I went back to review my own postings and contributions to the problem. I realize that I am as guilty as any other member of what I see as a miss-use or lack of proper behavior/understanding of how we should conduct ourselves with this portion of the forum. This has been bothering me for some time, and I hesitated to comment. But, for the purpose of goodwill among ourselves, and a useful more efficient communication...we need to clean up our act.

When someone posts an item for sale, or wanted, in the classified section, we should treat it respectfully as a matter of fact offer or request and nothing more. Somehow...we are going to have to restrain ourselves from treating this section as an invitation for discussion like the other Forum Sections. I usually monitor the forum from the "What's New" screen and rarely click on a specific forum like General, Stove Huggers, or Technical. I don't know what it is going to take, but I have found myself blasting away on the keyboard in response to a title I had read and not even realizing it was in the "For Sale" forum before hitting the "submit," key.

The problem with how we treat the initial post is that it gets buried in the following discourse/distractions and the purpose of the initial offering is diminished. I'm certainly no computer whiz, but somehow we need to allow those posting items to succeed or fail without interference from the rest of us. There's no real reason any offering for sale in a classified forum should build 15 or 20 comments. If it deserves that much discussion, then I would think that any of us that think it is that important...a new thread title should be created in the appropriate forum to address such issues for further discussion. Opinions about pricing being too high (or low), spelling, grammar, or condition should not be given in the classified portion of the forum. If you feel the need to critique or correct a listing you can do it politely by way of a private message, but blasting it out publicly is rude and disrespectful.

For me, I am going to make a better attempt to restrain myself from posting opinions in this section in the future. I mess up enough by accident and don't need to compound it by doing it on purpose.

I don't know how many of you will see this since I'm posting it in the "Forum Q&A" section, but will welcome additional input on the subject.
Working...
X