Double Posts??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Double Posts??

Clark, are you aware of the double or triple posts? For example, I just posted on this thread: https://forum.studebakerdriversclub....-effort/page18
    and there are three (!) posts exactly the same!?! I've seen this on other folks posts in other threads too.

Paul

EDIT: well, when I originally posted on that thread, there was one post on page 17 and then two more exactly alike on page 18. Now the post on page 17 has disappeared................?
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Paul - I have seen the same thing over the last number of days as well. Noted that your two posts that remain are time-stamped six minutes apart. I think the system has been having some issues as of late and this might be one of its symptoms. Just glad it is not deleting posts - that would really get people on edge!

Comment

Patrick, I'm glad someone besides me is having this problem!

Clark, I just tried to make another post to the same thread. When I clicked on the Post Reply button, I got the following message:

The post did not upload. When I hit the Post Reply button again, a new message came up:
      Click image for larger version

Name:	Posting problem 2.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	1837895

The post still didn't go thru. I had to close the forum out, and get back in. When I got back in, the post was there.

Don't know what's going on, but wanted to report it to you Clark.

Thanks, Paul
      Attached Files
      Paul
      Winston-Salem, NC

Comment

I've noticed multiple double posts sometimes one minute apart. But there is no consistency.
        "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

Believe the double posts are caused by the glacial upload speed of this site. Just had one response take almost 5 minutes to upload -- was very tempting to hit ""post" again under the assumption that the upload failed.
          Skip Lackie

Comment

This happened in my thread and it does not seem to be possible to edit the duplicate and delete it. Weird. Like others have experienced, this site is very slow to respond.

Comment

Thanks for the notification. We've been looking into it.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Looks like the forum has come full circle. Back when I first (accidentally) stumbled upon the Studebaker Forum (little over a couple of decades ago), I recall that double posts were rampant. Of course, as I was a newbie to forums...back then, I merely accepted it as a quirk of "the internet." Just as now, there were other odd things going on that were a result of various service glitches. Since the SDC pays for this service, how long will we be willing to accept "looking into it" as an explanation?

For me, it is not just this forum that has gone "wonky." For example, at first, my internet provider was Bellsouth. It was then swallowed up by AT&T. Their default email client is Yahoo. On my personal computers, we were able to stay signed in on our email accounts for two weeks before having to sign in again. All of a sudden, the service changed, and we have been having to sign back into our accounts every hour (or so). On top of that, in my case, they denied my password and it took two days for me to resolve it on the phone. (From some equally frustrated employee at a call center in Manila, Philippines.)

For the first time in decades...I am seriously considering alternative services. The services I have now were initially the first and only ones available. Now, I have choices, but even if I do change...I have no higher expectations that the alternatives will be any better.

It is as if we have turned the IT world over to a bunch of "safe-space" spoiled 5-year-olds with no common sense, people skills, or personality? (and Clark...don't take this as a personal attack. I am too ignorant of the processes involved to understand all that goes on in the background behind the scenes to justify a personal attack. Besides...I don't want your job and I really do appreciate your work. Even when you call me down.)

On the bright side...thanks for the "rant space"...I will now take a few additional sips of coffee and get on with my day.
                John Clary
                Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I do want to state that I started this thread only to let Clark know about an issue that I had noticed. In my humble opinion Clark has worked tirelessly to fix the issues with this new software, and I believe he has our best interests at heart.

THANK YOU CLARK!
                  Paul
                  Winston-Salem, NC

Comment

I second Paul's comments in # 9. THANK YOU CLARK!

Regarding John's comments, we live "off the grid" in British Columbia, Canada .
                    "For the first time in decades...I am seriously considering alternative services. The services I have now were initially the first and only ones available. Now, I have choices, but even if I do change...I have no higher expectations that the alternatives will be any better."

We rely on Xplornet which is a division of your USA, Hughes network, supplying us with satellite service in the middle of nowhere.
                    As of two years ago they changed some things and it does not satisfy our expectations as it once did.
                    Our choices are very limited and unfortunately they know it.
                    On the bright side it still provides me access to our wonderful Forum and allows me, via emails, to stay in touch with friends strewn all over the country. The reality is probably none of us would pick up a pen & paper and do it the old fashioned way.
                    Thank you all for allowing today's rant.
                    Cheers and keep well to all.
                    Bill

Comment

Let me add my thanks to Clark for continuing to beaver away at our problems. I know the weaknesses in our "new" forum are not his fault. But it's clear that the new software was pretty much a step backward in both responsiveness and user-friendliness. I do worry, however, that constantly complaining about its problems might provoke the Board to conclude that its costs are not money well spent. I no longer know how much the Forum costs SDC, but I am aware that only a minority of club members (or Board members either for that matter) drop in here with any regularity.
                      Skip Lackie

Comment

Working...
                      X