Announcement

Collapse

This channel is for questions about how to use the Forum.

Please do not post automotive questions here.

See more
See less

Rebuilt website

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rebuilt website

I don't know where to put this comment, so I'll do it here.
    The new, "basic" pages are fine, but trying to talk to someone thru the new..."PM" is a real pain in the rear. The last version of the site was just fine in more respects than it is now.

Mike

Mike: I agree that this version of the PM is cumbersome. Somehow it seems it should look and function more like an Email account. Because I don't spend a lot of time messaging each time I venture into it I have to stumble around to use it.

Comment

I used the message function on the old forum. I have given up on this new forum. If someone wants me, either post the information or e-mail me.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

What can you do? It was a change nobody wanted, plenty of people dislike it, problems that weren't there previously keep coming up, and still we are stuck with it. Best to make peace with it and do what you can.
        Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
        Romans 15:13
        Deuteronomy 31:6
        Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

I've made peace, but still hope for changes. I have been able to use the PM function, but don't care for having a notification for any activity that occurs on a post that I have joined into. I would just like to be notified if there are new messages in the inbox.

Comment

I feel for whoever was in charge of this decision, and whoever chose this particular format. Nobody thinks they would have done it if they had known it wasn’t going to work out well. And it appears they are now committed to it.

interestingly, that could be applied to many of the decisions made by Studebaker management in their last years.
            Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
            Romans 15:13
            Deuteronomy 31:6
            Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

vBulletin is NOT the only Forum host on the market, and since the supposed 'upgrade' last fall, it has obviously fallen far short of user's need here.

There are others including Invision Community
              https://invisioncommunity.com/ which offer a far better and user-friendly template. Perhaps its time to change to a one that can match or exceed the previous vBulletin format.

Craig

Comment

As someone who has little/no IT expertise, I find it interesting that some presumably smart people would take something that is a bit out of date but working well and turn it into a product that is so remarkably user-unfriendly.

I was on the SDC board of directors ~20 years ago when the decisions were made to fund this forum, even though a relative minority of members wanted it. I don't know how much it costs these days -- but I do know that it is STILL a relative minority of the membership that uses it. So I am mindful that if we bitch too loudly, the board could pull the plug on the whole thing. On the other hand, I do believe that the forum provides a useful recruiting tool and fulfills the club's mandate to provide support to Studebaker owners (member or not) world-wide.

Like many of you, I also frequent some other hobby-related forums, and they're all easier to use than this one now is. But they are all littered with advertising -- most for totally unrelated products. The advertisers are the ones who are paying for them. If we become too dissatisfied with this forum format, we could petition the board to consider converting to a forum supported by advertising.
                Last edited by Skip Lackie; 03-10-2020, 04:53 AM. Reason: typo
                Skip Lackie

Comment

Skip,

Well stated, and correct.

The ASC uses a page from the AACA's website, which is one of the better Forums
                  . https://forums.aaca.org/forum/21-stu...rskine-rockne/

The AACA does have advertising on their Forum, but its unobtrusive, and only appears at the top and bottom of the page, and not 'littered' all over with it. I certainly have no objection to paid ads. Its the pop-up ads that really annoy me. Agree, services cost money, and if we demand the 'best' out there, I don't object to a few paid ads here on our Forum.

Craig

Comment

The new format looks very nice but I am baffled by the pm methods.
                    Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Working...
                    X