This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clark-
    You have provided guidance several times on how to unsubscribe from topics. But I am so dumb that I don't really understand what constitutes a subscription.. I have not knowingly subscribed to anything, yet I am getting messages that someone has responded to one of my subscribed threads.
    Skip Lackie

Comment

I have a very large banner at the top of the screen stating, "Your Private Message storage is almost full". When I select the messages I want to delete, click "Delete", I get a pop up saying that they have been deleted. The page refreshes, and the messages are still there, undeleted. The giant banner still remains. I don't want to delete all of my messages, but it'd be nice to clear them out for the sake of getting rid of that ugly banner.

Add me to the "not a fan of the new look" group. The layout, proportions, and color scheme of the new format make my head hurt (not an exaggeration).

On the other hand... Maybe the near decade and a half I've spent participating here is long enough. In addition to the visually unappealing new site, I'm not in support of SDC's new rule (yet to be implemented) that ONLY paid SDC members will be allowed to post. And I say that as a 20 year member. Probably better to spend time doing other things than reading these pages, anyway.
      Last edited by mbstude; 09-23-2019, 06:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mbstude View Post
        Add me to the "not a fan of the new look" group. The layout, proportions, and color scheme of the new format make my head hurt (not an exaggeration).
        I agree, Matt.

I don't see this new V-Bulletin platform being an improvement in anyway from the easier-to-read and navigate previous version. I think its time to move on and adopt a different and better message board, such as the one the Antique Studebaker Club via the AACA Forum uses: https://forums.aaca.org/ It's FULL screen and much easier on the eyes with no baby blue text getting lost in glaring whiteout background.
        Craig

Comment

Originally posted by showbizkid View Post

ddub , sweetolbob - the First Unread Post function is actually already present, although not obvious. See the pic below:

Click image for larger version

Name:	latest_post.png
Views:	439
Size:	8.1 KB
ID:	1803387
          Look near the head of the thread title. See the little downward facing arrow inside the blue circle? When you see that, hover your mouse pointer over it and a bubble will pop up that says "Go to first new post". Click that to open the thread and automatically go to the newest unread post in the thread.
          Thank you!!!
          Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
          50 Champion 2 door*
          53 Commander K Auto*
          53 Commander K overdrive*
          55 President Speedster
          62 GT 4Speed*
          63 Avanti R1*
          64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

Originally posted by mbstude View Post
            I have a very large banner at the top of the screen stating, "Your Private Message storage is almost full". When I select the messages I want to delete, click "Delete", I get a pop up saying that they have been deleted. The page refreshes, and the messages are still there, undeleted. The giant banner still remains. I don't want to delete all of my messages, but it'd be nice to clear them out for the sake of getting rid of that ugly banner.
            mbstude - Users have a quota of 100 stored PMs (with a little leeway). In addition to what's in your Inbox, what's in your Trash and Sent Items also counts as part of the quota. Examining the statistics (don't worry, everyone, I can only see statistics; I cannot read your PMs), you have 115 messages in your Sent Items folder and 35 in Trash. Could I recommend deleting the Trash first, and then weeding out Sent Messages you do not need?

That will get rid of the warning banner (which I put in place to help out folks whose PMs had filled to the max and been cut off by the system).

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
              I think its time to move on and adopt a different and better message board, such as the one the Antique Studebaker Club via the AACA Forum uses ... It's FULL screen and much easier on the eyes with no baby blue text getting lost in glaring whiteout background.
              Margins are now smaller.

I would like to point out that the AACA Forum is also a site with a full WHITE background.
              I would like to point out that the old Forum also used a full WHITE background. Screenshot attached to remind everyone of what it looked like.
              I would like to point out that the AACA Forum uses black type as we do - and in a smaller size than we are now using.
              I would like to point out that the AACA Forum also has bluehyperlinks, which are an industry standard.

Please remember that the reason I started this thread was for you to let me know of features that did not work, and to take suggestions for improvement. If you inspect the running list at the beginning of the topic, you'll see that more than a dozen fixes, alterations and bits of custom code have been implemented in response. Please continue to post constructive suggestions for improvement.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by showbizkid View Post

mbstude - Users have a quota of 100 stored PMs (with a little leeway). In addition to what's in your Inbox, what's in your Trash and Sent Items also counts as part of the quota. Examining the statistics (don't worry, everyone, I can only see statistics; I cannot read your PMs), you have 115 messages in your Sent Items folder and 35 in Trash. Could I recommend deleting the Trash first, and then weeding out Sent Messages you do not need?

That will get rid of the warning banner (which I put in place to help out folks whose PMs had filled to the max and been cut off by the system).
                Okay, so it seems I have to delete the unwanted messages, and then delete them again from the “trash” folder. An extra step for whatever reason. I did see where I have the option to disable PM’s, so there’s another option.

Clark, your countless hours of work and cat herding are appreciated. It’s a PITA job that I wouldn’t ever want to do. I’m all for new and improved, though unfortunately, I don’t think the positives are outweighing the negatives on this one. It sucks that you are the face of the change and taking the brunt of the complaints.

The literal headache that I’m getting from reading the new forum is more than enough to keep me away. I’ve had migraines and headaches since I was a little kid. While they aren’t nearly as common or harsh as they were when I was younger, I’ll absolutely choose to avoid them if at all possible.

It’s been a fun run.

Comment

Clark, thanks for your hard work!

I wasn't going to bring this up right now since you are slammed with questions/problems, but especially after mbstude's posts maybe this is the time -- the 'customization' settings to change background color, text color, border color, etc on our view don't seem to work. I've tried numerous times to change mine, even signed out then back in to see if that made a difference. Is this a 'bug', or do you just have those functions turned off?
                  Paul
                  Winston-Salem, NC
                  Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

I had the same 'full' message..
                    I went to my room and cleaned it up.
                    No big deal.
                    It was not hard.

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

• Originally posted by showbizkid View Post

Margins are now smaller.

I would like to point out that the AACA Forum is also a site with a full WHITE background.
                      I would like to point out that the old Forum also used a full WHITE background. Screenshot attached to remind everyone of what it looked like.
                      I would like to point out that the AACA Forum uses black type as we do - and in a smaller size than we are now using.
                      I would like to point out that the AACA Forum also has bluehyperlinks, which are an industry standard.

Please remember that the reason I started this thread was for you to let me know of features that did not work, and to take suggestions for improvement. If you inspect the running list at the beginning of the topic, you'll see that more than a dozen fixes, alterations and bits of custom code have been implemented in response. Please continue to post constructive suggestions for improvement.
                      THANK YOU CLARK! (intentional shouting)...years ago, I learned to be somewhat cautious about complaining too much. Too often, after a complaint, I found myself being placed in charge of fixing the very thing I was complaining about. That was when I learned that complaining is always easier than FIXING! Thanks for reminding us of the things you have already fixed. For those complaining...I urge you to do it with a polite decorum and patience. But, as Clark continues to point out, he "needs constructive suggestions for improvement." Otherwise, in the absence of suggestions, the natural tendency will be to assume everything is OK.

It is not lost on me that the even keeled calm response "cat herder" has changed his avatar!

This is the first major forum upgrade we've had in years. I recall when I first discovered this forum that almost every post got "double posted," and full of glitches. Let's weather this storm together. Hang in there Clark...I (we) need you.
                      John Clary
                      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

• Originally posted by r1lark View Post
                        Clark, thanks for your hard work!

I wasn't going to bring this up right now since you are slammed with questions/problems, but especially after mbstude's posts maybe this is the time -- the 'customization' settings to change background color, text color, border color, etc on our view don't seem to work. I've tried numerous times to change mine, even signed out then back in to see if that made a difference. Is this a 'bug', or do you just have those functions turned off?
                        r1lark - you’re talking about the controls on your Profile Settings page, yes? I’m not certain if they affect your entire Forum experience, or just what’s on your Profile page itself. I’ll look into it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
                          Clark-
                          You have provided guidance several times on how to unsubscribe from topics. But I am so dumb that I don't really understand what constitutes a subscription.. I have not knowingly subscribed to anything, yet I am getting messages that someone has responded to one of my subscribed threads.
                          Skip Lackie - there are several options in your Settings that determine what you get notified about. It seems that whenever someone replies to a post you’ve also posted it, you get subscribed. I’m going to look into these functions further, but in the meantime, ch do your notification settings and uncheck as many of them as you like. See if that helps.

Comment

• Clark,
                            The thread "Unsubscribe from all" is closed, but could you delete all my subscriptions please.

Also the screen shot you posted there to tell us how to set our settings to avoid this going forward is too small to see when clicked on. Is there a way to make it even bigger?
                            Dick Steinkamp
                            Bellingham, WA

Comment

• Originally posted by showbizkid View Post

Skip Lackie - there are several options in your Settings that determine what you get notified about. It seems that whenever someone replies to a post you’ve also posted it, you get subscribed. I’m going to look into these functions further, but in the meantime, ch do your notification settings and uncheck as many of them as you like. See if that helps.
                              Thanks. I have done so and we'll see how it goes. It seems to me that you should have to specifically click the "subscribe" button to be notified that others have posted there. Otherwise, it's a real disincentive to post helpful hints -- one's in box fills up with alerts.
                              Skip Lackie

Comment

• Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp View Post
                                Clark,
                                The thread "Unsubscribe from all" is closed, but could you delete all my subscriptions please.

Also the screen shot you posted there to tell us how to set our settings to avoid this going forward is too small to see when clicked on. Is there a way to make it even bigger?
                                Done and done. Thanks, Dick Steinkamp .

Comment

Working...
                                X