This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tim333 View Post
    Worst is I can’t use a back arrow to return to where I started to simply read the next topic.
    tim333 - this is actually pretty easy.
    1. Click Latest Posts.
    2. Read whatever topic you like.
    3. Use your browser's Back button to return to the Latest Posts page. Everything you haven't read will still be displayed there.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by gordr View Post

I feel the same way. Why come here any more if the screen glares at me like a white dwarf star? I will check in every month or so to see if it gets fixed. Lots of folks have my e-mail. Hasta luego.
      I'm very sorry that there's no making you happy.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
        WRT John Clary's problem: I have had the same issue because of different email addresses. Put simply, my ISP got bought by another company, which a few years later was bought by yet another company. Each time this happened, I was informed that I now had a new email address: same beginning, but a new ISP company name after the @ sign. But curiously, the old email addresses still worked, and all email still came to my in box. When I bought a new computer and loaded the email software on it, the new computer used the newest address for outgoing mail. I have found that when I need to enter my email address, I must use the address that THAT computer uses (I have both a desktop and laptop; one uses the latest address and the other an older address). If I don't, I get a message back saying that the email address I entered is incorrect. Is it possible that John's phone is using a different (alias?) address from the one used by his computer?
        Hey Skip, thanks for your concern, (and anyone else who followed my annoying little problem). Thanks to Clark (our esteemed moderator/cat herder)...I learned a new term called "Legacy email address." Yep, that's what you end up with when your old company "Bellsouth" was swallowed up by AT&T. However, I don't know if that had anything to do with my problem 'cause I'm still using the same email address for decades now. But, we did reset the password and I'm now able to be logged onto my computer & iPhone at the same time. Which means I can check the forum while away from my computer. I am comfortable "touch typing" on my computer keyboard and hate the hunt & peck on the tiny phone screen. So, I usually do my posting from the computer, but sometimes monitor and check in on my phone when away from the computer.

I'm grateful to Clark for putting up with my rather petty complaint and would like to take the time to urge everyone to give it a chance. Some of my difficulties were self inflicted, and others are the challenge of a learning curve. I'm pretty much "Self-taught" regarding computer technology, so my biggest problem is a Lousy Teacher. In the age of folks shouting at their microwave ovens to HURRY UP!...Complaining about the wait at a drive-in window, or buying a new computer because the old one is too slow...remember...not long ago, what we are doing now used to take weeks and days of waiting for next month's Turning Wheels, or an exchange of letters by snail mail, or even have to pay the charges of a LONG DISTANCE PHONE CALL! (Heaven forbid)

So, we are not even into a full week of this system and you'd think we've already lost all...I'm willing to give it some more time. Already, there's been some adjustments of early glitches. I'm thinking the new system is probably more adjustable (customizable) than the old and just like our Studebakers...a little tweak here, adjustment there...and we will be fine. (eventually)

John Clary
        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by showbizkid View Post

Robert, please check in the upper righthand corner of the browser window, just underneath your toolbar and above the Search box. See screen below.

Click image for larger version

Name:	edge_login.jpg
Views:	542
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	1802021

Name:	2019-09-20_6-47-13.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	1803049

I do not see the log in at all.. I had to go to members list and find my name to log in..

Some issue with Chrome maybe?

Comment

Now that I've noodled around here for a while, I'm getting pretty comfortable with the format. I think the speed has also picked up nicely, also.

One question that has escaped my search - Is there a way to have a post open to the last item I've read? If I go to a few of the posts here that have 50 or more pages, I know I can keep clicking the arrows to go to the later pages but the system seems to go a few forward and then go back a few pages. I can then go a few more and it drops back a couple. Most of the other forums I frequent take me to my first unread posts so my guess is it's here I just can't find the setting.

Comment

SScopelli - that is definitely a Problem with your Chrome install. I would recommend doing the Chrome integrity check, or perhaps starting Chrome in safe mode (plugins disabled) - perhaps an add-on is interfering with the display of the CSS.

Comment

Linear (chronological?) view of forum participation?

My problem is that I’m afraid that I might lack the skill to sufficiently articulate the most irritating frustration I am experiencing in trying to follow and participate in forum discussions? It is in regard to using the “Latest Posts” button.

If that particular feature was intended to replace the “what’s new” button on the old format, it is missing the mark by only showing the “unread” posts of each individual logged on member.For example, under the old format, once you read a post (or posted a comment) in a thread...you could hit the “what’s new” button and you would be directed back to the linear (by time) of all posted threads across the entire spectrum of forums.The ones you have read and not read would appear in either plain or bold titles, easy to spot which had been read and those that had not been read.

If you had just posted a comment, and suddenly realized you needed to edit or add another comment, you could immediately click on it again and take care of business. However, under this new format, once you read, or post a comment, and then click on the “LATEST POSTS” button, it seems that the thread you just posted in has completely disappeared. (because it was marked as READ?).Therefore, you have to click on the FORUMS button, and either click again on the “SUBSCRIBED” button, or the correct FORUM category in order to find the thread title.

In other words...The “LATEST POSTS” button only takes you to the posts you have not read. If we can make this button show all posts in the order posted, “Read or Not” ...It will present the forum participation in a linear “real time” manner which is much easier to follow and participate.(Not sure if I have made this clear?)

John Clary
                Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
                  In other words...The “LATEST POSTS” button only takes you to the posts you have not read. If we can make this button show all posts in the order posted, “Read or Not” ...It will present the forum participation in a linear “real time” manner which is much easier to follow and participate.
                  jclary - you're correct, it doesn't operate in quite the same way. But the only thing it does differently is to mark as "read" the thread you've just posted to - since you read it before you posted (presumably).

I'm not certain if this behavior can be changed, since the "read" function is a server-level database function and can't be turned off, but I will look into it. A workaround in the meantime would be to click on your name in the top bar and choose the My Recent Posts menu item. This will show a listing of every posting you have made, and you can see where you've commented and provide a link to go back to in case you want to amplify or modify something.

Comment

Just have to write that I'm impressed by how easy it is to post picture!
                    That "Upload Attachments" square left side under is just SO good!
                    sigpic

Josephine
                    Champion V8
                    4d sedan

Comment

When I click on 'Latest Posts' I get "Your criteria is not restrictive enough................" ? Also, must I sign in every day even when I check remember me? stupak

Comment

The feature I miss most/haven't found yet is the "skip to first unread post". Very useful on multi-page threads.
                        Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
                        50 Champion 2 door*
                        53 Commander K Auto*
                        53 Commander K overdrive*
                        55 President Speedster
                        62 GT 4Speed*
                        63 Avanti R1*
                        64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

Originally posted by ddub View Post
                          The feature I miss most/haven't found yet is the "skip to first unread post". Very useful on multi-page threads.
                          Yup! Same here.

I did just find that clicking on the blue double at the right of the post takes me to the last post which helps but still not the last read post.
                          Last edited by sweetolbob; 09-21-2019, 09:25 AM.

Comment

Things are REALLY getting STRANGE here today 9/21/19 on the Forum, on this Post:
                            https://forum.studebakerdriversclub....mp-return-line

In the "Tech Talk" Group listing, the last poster is shown in the sidebar as Poster Number2, but WAS with MY Picture (now gone)! When you open the Post, Poster 5 is the current Last Poster.

Maybe we should all just wait a few weeks to Post until the "Construction" is Done.
                            I know this has been a SERIOUS Challenge for you trying to make a different Program work at least SOMEWHAT like the old one and easier to work, so I don't blame you, this is a VERY unworkable Program, NOT simple like the last one.
                            And I guess it's all about making it compatible with a tiny, useless 4 Inch screen Smartphone.
                            StudeRich
                            Second Generation Stude Driver,
                            Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

• showbizkid
                              showbizkid commented
                              Editing a comment
                              RIch, it might interest you to know that most of the new Forum signups for the past 2 years have been guys in their 30s and 40s. A lot of us, especially the younger ones, use the Forum on our phones and tablets. It's good to be able to support these devices - after all, young blood is what will keep this club alive in the future. We might drive old cars, but we shouldn't let technology pass us by.

Originally posted by ddub View Post
                            ddub , sweetolbob - the First Unread Post function is actually already present, although not obvious. See the pic below:

Name:	latest_post.png
Views:	509
Size:	8.1 KB
ID:	1803387
                            Look near the head of the thread title. See the little downward facing arrow inside the blue circle? When you see that, hover your mouse pointer over it and a bubble will pop up that says "Go to first new post". Click that to open the thread and automatically go to the newest unread post in the thread.

Comment

Originally posted by showbizkid View Post

ddub , sweetolbob - the First Unread Post function is actually already present, although not obvious. See the pic below:

Name:	latest_post.png
Views:	509
Size:	8.1 KB
ID:	1803387
                              Look near the head of the thread title. See the little downward facing arrow inside the blue circle? When you see that, hover your mouse pointer over it and a bubble will pop up that says "Go to first new post". Click that to open the thread and automatically go to the newest unread post in the thread.
                              Got it, it's not automatic like most other forums but it'll work. Thanks, Bob

Comment

Working...
                              X