PDA

View Full Version : Fire Extinguiser Requirement

JRoberts
03-24-2017, 02:30 PM
I have used the search and could not come up with anything concerning the new SDC requirement for fire extinguishers. I know there was a notice on the Forum, but as I said I cannot find it. I also remember a corresponding announcement in Turning Wheels but I cannot find that either. Could somebody please direct me to that announcement either here or in Turning Wheels.
I am heading up a caravan to South Bend and I want to make sure everybody has the proper fire extinguisher in their Studebaker. Thanks for the help

DEEPNHOCK
03-24-2017, 02:36 PM
Here you go.

http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/bod_20161002.asp

(copy)
SDC FIRE EXTINGUISHER MOTION

“Failure to have an approved Fire Extinguisher will disqualify a Club member to display or enter their car into SDC judging at an official SDC sanctioned meet or show.
The fire extinguisher must be UL listed or equivalent and fully charged. The minimum for all vehicles is a UL type 1-A:5-B:C. For fire extinguishers without a gauge; insure that the nozzle is not obstructed and the safety seal is intact. The extinguisher need not be permanently mounted, but must be clearly visible and readily available.
When the car is on display, the fire extinguisher should be on the ground near the left front wheel. For Drive-through judging, the fire extinguisher may be on the front seat or floor, but readily visible and available.“
This motion takes effect on January 1, 2017
And........

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?87636-fire-extinguishers-nomenclature

I have used the search and could not come up with anything concerning the new SDC requirement for fire extinguishers. I know there was a notice on the Forum, but as I said I cannot find it. I also remember a corresponding announcement in Turning Wheels but I cannot find that either. Could somebody please direct me to that announcement either here or in Turning Wheels.
I am heading up a caravan to South Bend and I want to make sure everybody has the proper fire extinguisher in their Studebaker. Thanks for the help

57pack
03-24-2017, 03:10 PM
I have always carried a fire extinguisher in my Studebaker's and regular car and truck.
Have seen too many cars destroyed by a wire short or carb popping back.
Also remember a beautiful 57 Pontiac burned by a faulty fuel filter install.

JRoberts
03-24-2017, 03:43 PM
Thanks Jeff for the quick response. I do appreciate it. See you at South Bend.

BobWaitz
03-24-2017, 08:17 PM
Hopefully a savvy vendor or two will bring a dozen or so...

Now here's an awkward question: We're opening up the car show to brands other than Studebaker. Will those entries be required to have a fire extinguisher? If they are, who's going to tell them with enough warning to comply?

Guido
03-24-2017, 08:22 PM
Does this also apply to horse drawn vehicles?

52 Ragtop
03-24-2017, 08:33 PM
Does this also apply to horse drawn vehicles?

NO, But I'm pretty sure a "shovel" would be appreciated by all!!! LOL

Jim

alaipairod
03-24-2017, 09:34 PM
[QUOTE=52 Ragtop;1045927]Does this also apply to horse drawn vehicles?

NO, But I'm pretty sure a "shovel" would be appreciated by all!!! LOL

Jim[/QUOT..........Thank you Jim...........Humor is appreciated.....But you cannot discount the pain of losing your ride because no fire protection was available.
A 5 to 20 BC extinguisher onboard is the cheapest insurance that you can buy...............

BobWaitz
03-25-2017, 12:22 PM
Well a guy could go all lawyer on that rule. It only applies to club members so presumably the non-members who bring their brand-x vehicles don't need an extinguisher. As for the horse drawn vehicles, OR trucks, that rule only seems to apply to cars.

Seriously, though, there are a lot of members and non-members who will be there that aren't on this message board. Someone better have a plan.

jeds55
03-25-2017, 01:58 PM
I just read through the Turning Wheels March, 2017 pages on the 53RD Annual Studebaker Drivers Club Meet....could find nothing on "Mandatory Fire Extinguisher" anywhere in the information or as part of the Registration Form. Seems that there could be a lot of frustrated drivers on Saturday Morning if the plan is to just simply turn them away.

Question: If I don't subscribe to Turning Wheels, Not on This form, But just show up at the fair grounds on Saturday Morning (Like I have for more than 10 years) ready to show my truck. What's going to happen?

jeds55
03-26-2017, 08:53 AM
If the new fire extinguisher law is going to be introduced by force at the South Bend show......Then at the least I think the club should have them for sale at the show gate on Saturday morning. At a fair price this might cut the frustration in half.

I can only point to the resignation form which makes no mention of the requirement or description of a mandatory fire extinguisher to enter the show.

Silverplate
03-26-2017, 09:22 AM
I actually think the SDC has been late to the party on this issue. I have been to many car shows and events in past few years that all require a fire extinguisher be present.

DEEPNHOCK
03-26-2017, 10:06 AM
I like that Freudian slip... 'Resignation form'...:!:

If the new fire extinguisher law is going to be introduced by force at the South Bend show......Then at the least I think the club should have them for sale at the show gate on Saturday morning. At a fair price this might cut the frustration in half.

I can only point to the resignation form which makes no mention of the requirement or description of a mandatory fire extinguisher to enter the show.

alaipairod
03-26-2017, 10:42 AM

.............Fire extinguishers should be made available to rent for the day.
that would ensure that the correct ones would be used........

jeds55
03-26-2017, 10:59 AM
OOPs never could spell - resignation = registration

Thanks Jeff

rusty65
03-26-2017, 12:16 PM
Whatever you do, don't use your fire extinguisher as a wheel chock.
That really grinds my gears for some reason.

njonkman
03-26-2017, 12:31 PM
The only place I have seen the fire extinguisher rule mentioned is in the new show rules manual.
Nick

TWChamp
03-26-2017, 03:46 PM
I just got home from Menards (getting my free rebate goods) and I see they have a nice fire extinguisher on sale for $14.

48skyliner
03-26-2017, 04:24 PM
I never have heard of such a requirement for any car show I have attended, but some local shows have had a local fire truck on hand during the show, and the firemen spent the day showing the kids their equipment, letting them sit in the truck, wearing the hat, etc, and it was very popular.

I suppose it is arguable that if your car is "all original" it will have antiquated wiring, and a fire extinguisher is a good idea. I have attended car and motorcycle shows that were indoors, and they required the fuel tank fillers to be taped over and the battery disconnected.

Whether your car is stock or highly modified like mine, I agree the cost of a good fire extinguisher is cheap protection for all the money and time you may have invested.

StudeRich
03-26-2017, 05:27 PM
Note that THIS is a BC type, not the required ABC Extinguisher.

Also a 10 ABC refillable, is a much better buy, because you will never need another.

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=63069&d=1490536378

What do the numbers in the alpha numeric classification mean (ie. 1A:10B:C)?
There is a number rating. For Type A fires, a 1 would have the equivalent of 1¼ gallons of water, a 2 would be equivalent to 2½ gallons, 3 would be 3¾ gallons of water, and so forth. For Type B and Type C fires, the number represents the square footage that the extinguishing agent would cover. For example, a number 2 would cover two square feet and a 5 would extinguish an area five square feet and so forth.

TWChamp
03-26-2017, 10:03 PM
I think the one at MENARDS read 10A:BC, but to be sure I'll write it down the next time I go.

altair
03-27-2017, 12:14 AM
The "A" is for ordinary combustibles, wood, paper etc. the numbers 5A - 10A denotes the quantity of ordinary combustibles. "B" is for flammable and combustible liquids and the 10B - 20B denotes the volume of flammable or combustible liquid. "C" is for electrical. Frequently electrical fires include ordinary combustibles. The content in the extinguisher is non conductive again to a voltage limit.
A "C" rated extinguisher would serve no purpose in an automobile as it only applies to alternating current. The "C" rating is a moot point therefore a 2A - 10B is most adequate. The next best is a box of baking soda, that will put out most any small gasoline fire. The
1A - 5B size is barley adequate for the average person to contain a fire. In the day, of some of these cars, carbontetrachloride was the standard. A 2 1/2 gallon pump can has a 5A rating and a 5 gallon pump can has a 10A rating, for ordinary combustibles only, not for flammable and combustible liquids.

StudeRich
03-27-2017, 02:13 AM
That's great info that a 2A-10B would be good for a Car fire, but it does not meet the SDC minimum
requirement of: 1-A:5-B:C
it can be more, but NOT less.

TWChamp
03-27-2017, 06:44 AM
Here is a link to the Menards extinguisher I saw yesterday on sale. Does this fit the requirements?

https://www.menards.com/main/electrical/doorbells-alarms-security-systems/fire-extinguishers/kidde-reg-lifesaver-red-basic-general-use-1-a-10-b-c-fire-extinguisher/p-1444446011190-c-6468.htm?tid=-5336889090269710177

Avantidon
03-27-2017, 09:04 PM
The SDC is late to this dance. I have been attending shows all through the east and southeast outside of the Studebaker world for almost 20 years now and all have required Fire Extinguishers on the field. I have one in each of my vehicles and two in one Avanti. I also carry them in my two personal vehicles as well. Have I used one? NO but I have come very close when I burned a hole in a Power Steering hose on an Avanti as I turned to enter a show field at at Late Great Chevy Show. You should have seen the Corvette boys come running extinguishers in hand as I got out of the car with mine in hand. Thankfully there was just a lot of smoke and no flames but we were prepared for the worst. That was a lesson learned and never forgotten.

StudeRich
03-28-2017, 12:09 AM
That should be fine, it's better than the Minimum 1-A:5-B:C, it's a 10.

The only downside is you cannot refill it when it does a leakdown.

SScopelli
03-28-2017, 12:18 AM
Do Bee..

https://c1.staticflickr.com/4/3757/33694080575_e7666b938a.jpg

Don't Bee
https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2895/33537764862_32dd67112a.jpg

41 Frank
03-28-2017, 01:13 PM
The new fire extinguisher rule was explained on page 5 of the December 2016 issue of Turning Wheels. The rule went into effect as of January 1 2017.

The only place I have seen the fire extinguisher rule mentioned is in the new show rules manual.
Nick

Milaca
04-22-2017, 09:21 PM
Giving this thread a bump to remind folks to equip their Studebaker with an approved extinguisher for the meet. If nothing else, you can purchase an extinguisher at one of the fine retailers in or around South Bend.