PDA

View Full Version : Ride in 32 Stude Indy car. Los Angeles chapter Winter meet

AlexM
03-18-2017, 10:27 AM
This video was made by the man who rode in the Indy car at the show. The last 5 minutes is of the Indy car and Studebaker show. Just a small flash of my red car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrNcxXzxr0g

DEEPNHOCK
03-18-2017, 10:35 AM
Great video!
Thanks, Alex!

sweetolbob
03-18-2017, 10:50 AM
Starts right up, drives off and runs well. Thanks for posting. Nice video of the show also. Bob

jclary
03-18-2017, 11:09 AM
A fantastic Video! Could we expect any less from California? Wouldn't you like to have had a heart rate monitor on Gary Ash when he views the Indy car? Should give inspiration for the project he's been working on for years.:)

For me, of great interest, was the fact that the owner's last name is "Cleary." Most of my life, I have encountered folks trying to spell my name that way. Even as a child, I would always say, "We couldn't afford an "e.":rolleyes: Seeing this gentleman, along with what he can afford, confirms the fact that my longtime assessment was correct.;)

bumpkinvilledano
03-18-2017, 11:19 AM
Last Thanksgiving I went to a small Cars and Coffee in Jacksonville Fl. At least 3 people asked the same question I heard mentioned in that video; Who made Studebakers?. I even overheard one younger guy say to his wife that they were made by Rambler.:eek:

I quickly corrected him.;)

SN-60
03-18-2017, 11:30 AM
Love this video!....The blue # 18 1932 Studebaker Indy racer is a REAL BEAUTY! :!!:

It reminds me of the ride I took with Bob Valpey a few years ago in his green # 37 1932 Indy racer:woot:....The main thing the 'riding mechanic' has to remember is: 'KEEP YOUR ARM AWAY FROM THAT EXHAUST STOVEPIPE!!!..(YEEOOWW!! don't ask me how I know:eek::eek:)

alaipairod
03-18-2017, 11:35 AM
Thanks for posting a great video Alex.
.....The Winter Meet will be even better next year..........
............NO.......! We are not "fading away".............:!!:

t walgamuth
03-18-2017, 11:48 AM
Great stuff
!

garyash
03-18-2017, 12:39 PM
Yes, I loved it! The video was great for promoting the Studebaker brand. I remember my ride in Mike Cleary's #18 car in Cedar Rapids, great fun. I still have a ways to go to finish my replica.

RadioRoy
03-18-2017, 01:38 PM
For me, of great interest, was the fact that the owner's last name is "Cleary." Most of my life, I have encountered folks trying to spell my name that way. Even as a child, I would always say, "We couldn't afford an "e.":rolleyes:

My name is Roy, but for sixty years, strangers have insisted on calling me Ray or Ron. :(

AlexM
03-18-2017, 03:06 PM
If I see him at a future show I may ask him how much he has in it. He did say he had to redo everything on the car.

A fantastic Video! Could we expect any less from California? Wouldn't you like to have had a heart rate monitor on Gary Ashe when he views the Indy car? Should give inspiration for the project he's been working on for years.:)

For me, of great interest, was the fact that the owner's last name is "Cleary." Most of my life, I have encountered folks trying to spell my name that way. Even as a child, I would always say, "We couldn't afford an "e.":rolleyes: Seeing this gentleman, along with what he can afford, confirms the fact that my longtime assessment was correct.;)

SN-60
03-18-2017, 03:18 PM
While we're on the subject....side detail of Valpey's # 37 car.......

Chris Pile
03-18-2017, 03:58 PM
Sure had to wade through a lot of Brand X stuff and that annoying guy to get to the Studebakers - but it was great to see some coverage for my fave brand.

garyash
03-18-2017, 08:44 PM
Alex, I wouldn't ask Mike Cleary how much he has in the car - it doesn't matter. He acquired the well-preserved original body, radiator shell, and cowl structure about 1965, but it didn't include a complete chassis, engine, or transmission. I think he spent nearly 20 years acquiring the correct pieces, while Darrell Dye rebuilt the car for him. Mike's father worked for Studebaker in marketing in the 1920s and 1930s, so this was an act of love, not a tight-budget project. The result is excellent, and Mike has displayed the car all over the country and drives it, with his son, in vintage racing events. The car made its first re-appearance in the Great Race of 1984. See Antique Studebaker Review issues, May/June 1984 and Sept/Oct 1984 for some history. Here is the body as Mike found it in Chicago in 1965.

jclary
03-18-2017, 09:40 PM
My apologies to Gary Ash... In my attempt to acknowledge his dedication to his Indy Racer Replica project,I did what others have done to my name & added an "e." I corrected my post. :)

brngarage
03-18-2017, 09:41 PM
As I mentioned in the video, I have bumper stickers (magnetic) for sale that answer the question "who built Studebaker". Please PM me for details.

benaslopoke
03-18-2017, 09:46 PM
I saw one of the 4 Indy Studebaker race cars on one of the Interstate Battery tours at Newnan Georgia several years ago.. It's amassing that it will idle well with those 4 antiquated carburetors.. At least they used downdrafts..

ddub
03-19-2017, 12:52 AM
Great sound!

AlexM
03-19-2017, 02:56 PM
Yes, over that long a time period it would be impossible to put a price on how much was spent.

Alex, I wouldn't ask Mike Cleary how much he has in the car - it doesn't matter. He acquired the well-preserved original body, radiator shell, and cowl structure about 1965, but it didn't include a complete chassis, engine, or transmission. I think he spent nearly 20 years acquiring the correct pieces, while Darrell Dye rebuilt the car for him. Mike's father worked for Studebaker in marketing in the 1920s and 1930s, so this was an act of love, not a tight-budget project. The result is excellent, and Mike has displayed the car all over the country and drives it, with his son, in vintage racing events. The car made its first re-appearance in the Great Race of 1984. See Antique Studebaker Review issues, May/June 1984 and Sept/Oct 1984 for some history. Here is the body as Mike found it in Chicago in 1965.

t walgamuth
03-19-2017, 07:40 PM
I have always thought the grill was lovely on those.;) Those are two man cars....I'd want to hang some lights on it and street it.;)