Shipping 201- LTL shipping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shipping 201- LTL shipping

This is my experience with shipping my latest Stude, the M16. Shipping has been discussed here before, and we all have the basics down (Shipping 101). This is another layer in the discussion, hence the 201 designation[)]

DETAILS:

M16 1 1/2 ton truck
    23' overall length
    not running
    need transport from Kimball MN to Parish NY- 1140 miles

I was high bidder on the truck, reserve not met on 11/22. Contacted seller and agreed to price next day; sent MO.

I had been looking at shipping from beginning of listing. I posted the info on yesterdaystractors.com on the advice of Guido (thanks, Gary!). I received 9 bids, most from trucking companies- highest $2400, lowest $702.24. The lowest bid was from Neiser Trucking. Talked to Bill Neiser, and he said it would be on a LTL (Less Than Load) shipment; would probably get it picked up in 3-4 days. Sounded great, so I booked it and bought the truck.

Didn't hear anything for a week, so I called Bill. He said "the job hadn't been picked up" yet. This is where I learned how this works: The company bids the job, then puts it out on their network hoping someone takes it on- they sub-contract it. The week turned into 2, then 3, with me calling, and Bill promising. I contacted others who were saying a couple weeks from the time I book it and $4-500 more; so I waited. Asked Bill if there was anything I could do to help the process. He said, "Well, what do you want to pay?" I said, what I agreed to!! I then asked if more money is what was needed to get the job picked up, and he said yes- probably another $50 would do it. I agreed, and went back to waiting.

Bill called me this last Wed. and said he had a truck there, waiting for my approval- but it would cost me another hundred. I agreed, the trucker hooked up with the seller who helped load it, and he was headed East that afternoon!

Arrived today (Sun.) safe and sound, total cost $830.24. Still not a bad price, considering the size of the vehicle and distance!

[u]LESSONS LEARNED</u>

1. LTL shipping can save you a lot, but it can be a little sketchy

2. Always determine before you buy that the seller can/will be flexible on pickup time

3. If the vehicle does not run and STOP on it's own, that may complicate things

4. If all else fails, more money will always help the process along

This move was a little more complicated due to it's size; it could't go on a regular multi-car transport. The regular shippers only handle cars and pickups. Guido told me once never to worry about shipping something, because it's not that big of a deal, and he was right. I can't say this experience was bad, just not how I thought it was going to go.

All's well that ends well![^]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
    Parish, central NY 13131

You have it very well documented. I manage a logistics/transportation company out of MN. When I saw your high and low prices, I was lucky I was sitting down. You got a steal! The low price should of been in the $1200.00 range based on fuel surcharges these days. You were dealing with a truck broker, who brokered it out himself. These moves many times take up to a month. They have to wait until they have someone going from point A to point B with an open load/backhaul. Something else that should be stressed is that many times these guys only deal in cash. Take care

58 Packard Wgn (Parade Red)
    58 Packard Wgn (Park Green)
    58 Packard Sdn (Shadowtone Red)
    62 Daytona (White)
    63 R2 Lark (Super Red)

Comment

You have it very well documented. I manage a logistics/transportation company out of MN. When I saw your high and low prices, I was lucky I was sitting down. You got a steal! The low price should of been in the $1200.00 range based on fuel surcharges these days. You were dealing with a truck broker, who brokered it out himself. These moves many times take up to a month. They have to wait until they have someone going from point A to point B with an open load/backhaul. Something else that should be stressed is that many times these guys only deal in cash. Take care

58 Packard Wgn (Parade Red)
      58 Packard Wgn (Park Green)
      58 Packard Sdn (Shadowtone Red)
      62 Daytona (White)
      63 R2 Lark (Super Red)

Comment

As BAMS said, I have had very good luck with using the hauling schedule on www.yesterdaystractors.com (going back to my tractor collecting days). Once I got back into Studes I had good luck too, including finding a ride from Kansas for my 5E40 flatbed dump with a 195" wheelbase.

I am also fortunate that I know the owner of a LTL carrier here in Richmond (once again from my tractor days, we both share an appreciation for Oliver tractors). He has gone to Canada several times to get Cockshutt tractors, has hauled a number of Oliver crawler tractors and brought me numerous Studes including my Avanti, '62 GT, '62 Champ (both of these from California) and my '52 Packard. He uses '53 foot dry vans, so he needs a rollback or dock at the shipping point.

I also used another fellow for several years (until he became dedicated to one person). He brought me the '57 3E40 tandem from Steve Blake, a '58 3E40 grain truck from Kansas and two '53 foot step deck loads from Asa Hall. Here is the first load as it was preparing to leave Asa's in June 2005.

The last of Asa's trucks I bought from Sharon was a '48 M-16 that was at Vern Ediger's in Kansas. I was able to get that moved along with a Studebaker buggy for $425!

If this Dodge Power Wagon gets sold, I will be looking to do another haul.

Comment

As BAMS said, I have had very good luck with using the hauling schedule on www.yesterdaystractors.com (going back to my tractor collecting days). Once I got back into Studes I had good luck too, including finding a ride from Kansas for my 5E40 flatbed dump with a 195" wheelbase.

I am also fortunate that I know the owner of a LTL carrier here in Richmond (once again from my tractor days, we both share an appreciation for Oliver tractors). He has gone to Canada several times to get Cockshutt tractors, has hauled a number of Oliver crawler tractors and brought me numerous Studes including my Avanti, '62 GT, '62 Champ (both of these from California) and my '52 Packard. He uses '53 foot dry vans, so he needs a rollback or dock at the shipping point.

I also used another fellow for several years (until he became dedicated to one person). He brought me the '57 3E40 tandem from Steve Blake, a '58 3E40 grain truck from Kansas and two '53 foot step deck loads from Asa Hall. Here is the first load as it was preparing to leave Asa's in June 2005.

The last of Asa's trucks I bought from Sharon was a '48 M-16 that was at Vern Ediger's in Kansas. I was able to get that moved along with a Studebaker buggy for $425!

If this Dodge Power Wagon gets sold, I will be looking to do another haul.

Comment

Good points 58. Interestingly, the payment procedure was never discussed on this deal! I had cash on hand, and paid the driver with it. You'd think he'd have asked before he unloaded the truck, but never did! No mention either way till I reached out and handed him the money....

So I would add to be sure and discuss this when you make the deal, or just be sure your payment is in cash.

As for price- when I saw the truck I didn't seriously consider it because I figured the shipping would put it beyond what I was willing to spend for an old truck; but posted it just to see what it woulsd cost. That low quote is the sole reason I decided to buy this one... so I'm glad it worked out!

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
            Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Good points 58. Interestingly, the payment procedure was never discussed on this deal! I had cash on hand, and paid the driver with it. You'd think he'd have asked before he unloaded the truck, but never did! No mention either way till I reached out and handed him the money....

So I would add to be sure and discuss this when you make the deal, or just be sure your payment is in cash.

As for price- when I saw the truck I didn't seriously consider it because I figured the shipping would put it beyond what I was willing to spend for an old truck; but posted it just to see what it woulsd cost. That low quote is the sole reason I decided to buy this one... so I'm glad it worked out!

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Thanks for the post Bob.... very practical & useful.[^]

<h5>Mark
                '57 Transtar
                3E-6/7-122
                </h5>
                [img]
                Mark Hayden
                '66 Commander

Comment

Thanks for the post Bob.... very practical & useful.[^]