This has happened before

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This has happened before

Yesterday, a great friend and SDC member had a fatal heart attack. He was in the middle of a complete body off, eat off the chassis rotisserie restoration of a 1958 Silver Hawk. After completely replace the floor pans and truck to the point of using the factory welds, I helped with him mounting the body back on including all the rubber to chassis to body placement.

As with most of us, as the work is being down, he would change his mind about interior, paint, drivetrain, etc. It is currently a nice red/white top, and black fin color. As he always said to me "well, I need to save a few more dollars to do this or that.

Right now it is way too early to go and take pictures, but I do know his wife will not want to do anything further, nor keep the car. Really all it needs is upholstery, drive train and reassembly.

This is like posting the what color should I paint my car question but just to give his wife and sons an idea, what is the car worth? It started as a 6 cylinder car but has been upgrade to V8 components, turner disk conversion, and upgraded Saginaw steering gear from a later Lark. I cannot stress about how much he was willing to do to make the car right. One of the few last conversation he has with me that he was itching to be able to drive the car soon. Sadly, not going to happen

Bob Miles
    Tucson AZ

Very sorry to hear that Bob, this is happening WAY to often these days.

None of us seem to be getting any younger!
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Very sorry to hear of this.
      To partially answer your question - It is very hard to sell unfinished project Studebakers, except perhaps to someone close by and/or someone familiar with the project.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Sorry to hear it, but look at any Stude magazine; variations on your tale are obviously going to happen more and more. Most of us (including potential project finishers) are old, myself included.

Comment

Yes, very sorry to hear another of us has passed. Commiserations to his family and friends.
          I worry sometimes that this issue will arise with my project 57 Packard.
          sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
          Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
          "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

Thanks for all your support. His wife is not in good health either and probably will not be able to stay at the home. I was thinking I should make a fair offer and put the car together for myself or offer to put it together, keep track of my expenses and get it in great driving shape. When I sell it, deduct and give all the rest to his wife. Put but option A and option B in writing of course.

Bob Miles
            Tucson AZ

Comment

Great idea Bob, it's good of you to consider it.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Ya ,sorry to hear about this happening, but it is more and more all the time, right now I am waiting for a probate to get to the point that we can move ahead with cars a fellow had in his garage, shed, and covered in rear yard for years, I think some trees might need to come down to get some out. not sure how many but have heard that there is 8 Avantis. I have not seen any of them so at this pint I know nothing except I am the person they want to turn to and make them go away so the house can be sold, I will post more when I know more.
                Candbstudebakers
                Castro Valley,
                California

Comment

Originally posted by 6hk71400 View Post
                  Thanks for all your support. His wife is not in good health either and probably will not be able to stay at the home. I was thinking I should make a fair offer and put the car together for myself or offer to put it together, keep track of my expenses and get it in great driving shape. When I sell it, deduct and give all the rest to his wife. Put but option A and option B in writing of course.

Bob Miles
                  Tucson AZ
                  Yes, very wise to put everything in writing. I do mean e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g discussed as the children will be whom you will be dealing with when the project is done. If the old girl's health is declining, this isn't something she is going to be able to see to it's completion, most likely. That way the heirs and executor are bound by your agreement as much as she was. The profit, if any, will likely be going to her heirs or estate (and hence the government if she goes into a care facility) and not the poor old bird. Hopefully she will live long enough to have the satisfaction of going for a ride in it when finished.
                  Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                  K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                  Ron Smith
                  Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Working...
                  X