Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Odd couple - Champion 6-cyl and Packard V8 trivia and other flights of fancy.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Odd couple - Champion 6-cyl and Packard V8 trivia and other flights of fancy.

We mostly build Studebaker and Packard V8s, but there's the occasional Champion; they are sometimes side by side. Yesterday, I noticed the Packard V8 and the Champion 6-cyl blocks are exactly the same 22" deck length. The head from one sits evenly on the other, so total length is pretty much the same. The Packard V8 is a tight fit in the Studebaker engine compartment, but it did go in there in the 1956J.

But once they had to shut down the senior Packard line, what to do to compete? The Studebaker 289" was too small for a late-'50s luxury car. We know the '57-58 Packards were not well received, so that was the wrong answer. Talk about missing an opportunity to bring back the classic era with the CASOs dream car!

Since Packard had many years of V12 history, there was the Twin Six from 1915-25 and the V12 in 1932-39, imagine if Studebaker-Packard had built a 120" wheelbase '57 Land Cruiser with a 370" flathead Twin Champion Six V12. Just a new block and crank, use all the rest of the Champion parts and machining line; naturally that would have saved S-P ;>)

jack vines
    PackardV8

I like your inventiveness and optimism Jack.
    Ed Sallia
    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

What are you smoking Jack?

Comment

Put a paxton in the "V" to help those 370" breath in year one. Year 2, twin paxtons... then OHV conversion..... HHMMM, maybe too much Irish in my coffee this AM. :-)

Comment

Why cast a new block when they might have still had the molds and tooling for the V-1650 or 5M-2500? Studebaker Packard could have ended the horsepower war before it even started.

Comment

Why doesn't anyone resurrect or redo that DOHC 289 Indy engine. That would make Studebaker immortal..
            64 GT Hawk (K7)
            1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
              Since Packard had many years of V12 history, there was the Twin Six from 1915-25 and the V12 in 1932-39, imagine if Studebaker-Packard had built a 120" wheelbase '57 Land Cruiser with a 370" flathead Twin Champion Six V12.
              Not sure about a postwar V12, but Packard's plans for 1957, had the Predictor-inspired body gone through as intended for their senior series, it would have used a 374 enlarged to 440 cubic inches.

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                Not sure about a postwar V12, but Packard's plans for 1957, had the Predictor-inspired body gone through as intended for their senior series, it would have used a 374 enlarged to 440 cubic inches.

Craig
                Since S-P never got around to building their 440", I'm doing it for them; a 4.250" bore and 3.875" stroke. It's going in my custom C-body Hawk.

jack vines
                PackardV8

Comment

Jack,
                  If that is my 6 cyl you are comparing to, go ahead and bolt that V8 head on there.
                  Dad wanted a little more power anyway, maybe that V8 head will liven it up a little..
                  Wayne
                  "Trying to shed my CASO ways"

sigpic

Comment

With 3d printer technology you could at least mock up a scale model of a V12 Champion engine. Perhaps something like the visible V8 or other model engine kits. Imagine the Studebaker "neverwere" model kits available at your favorite museum gift shop. Ok, the only factory designed engine that I can think of offhand that never made it production is the pancake four from the Lark era but I still would not mind a hobby kit of said engine.

Jeff T.
                    \"I\'m getting nowhere as fast as I can\"
                    The Replacements.

Comment

Originally posted by wdills View Post
                      Jack,
                      If that is my 6 cyl you are comparing to, go ahead and bolt that V8 head on there.
                      Dad wanted a little more power anyway, maybe that V8 head will liven it up a little..
                      Hi, Wayne,

We bored it to 177", milled the head and block deck, line honed the mains, set the ring end gaps on the low end of spec and balanced everything. It should be lively.

jack vines
                      PackardV8

Comment

In the interest of fantasy, I submit the following:

Make a V6 out of the V8 (Mopar did it with the 318). You could use the same engine production equipment, with a new block and crank. Drop the Champ six, which was a dead end anyway, and offer it in the Lark. now you have a 194 cu.in. six of 130 hp
                        or so. very competitive, heavy, but miserly on gas and cheap to manufacture using many common parts. Now stretch the same block to a V10 (Ford did it), use the same machinery, and make the spark plugs stay in. Presto, a very respectable 361 with
                        a conservative 280 HP for the big cars. 5" to 6" longer, but since it is a big car extend the nose a bit.

Comment

Now you are thinking! Selling a flathead lux buggy in '57 would not be easy.

Comment

Working...
                          X