Name:	tailights x4.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	1753725Click image for larger version

Name:	tailights side.jpg
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	1753726

Seems like taillights come and go, mostly go I guess since most of the time you are viewing them from behind the vehicle. I know manufacturers spend a lot of money designing different parts of a vehicle and I remember some pretty fancy taillights and headlights through the years but, all of the sudden, here comes plastic and everything changed! My situation is probably a little different than most because a lot of vehicles from 1937 only had one taillight which most times also served as a tag receptacle, so trying to find two matching (art deco looking) taillights becomes a chore and very expensive if you are looking for decent ones. I searched a lot of swap meets, came up with one of everything. A buddy of mine spotted these fine 37 Chrysler Coupe Convertible taillights in a local car advertisement and sent the ad to me, a little previewing and I was certain these were the ones. They had glass lenses and little glass jewels in the center--- They were perfect, what better to put on a 1937 than 1937 taillights. I had to gut them, trim down the pedestal bases a small amount and I saved the glass lenses and center jewels after witnessing how much they commanded on Ebay, replaced the innards with my 1950 Pontiac LED'S. Wasn't too hard, a little foam technology and wallah, Art deco look with modern LED'S. I personally think they compliment the front headlight bullets to the tee, more pictures after they are permanently mounted. We finally got the new 2" wider fenders on and a roll pan, also added 10" wide wheels and new tires, fronts aren't installed yet, more pictures later---
    Last edited by StudebakerGene; 03-13-2017, 12:32 PM.
    sigpic

The 1937 Dodge taillights are identical to the 1937 Studebaker taillights, including the bezel and lens. The only difference in the Chrysler ones you have is the bezel and lens. See link:

Comment

Taillights

Click image for larger version

Name:	chrysler side view.jpg
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	1712893Click image for larger version

Name:	chrysler tailights.jpg
Size:	134.0 KB
ID:	1712889
      Coupe Express,
      While the Dodge tailights might be close, check the length on the buckets for the Chrysler--- way longer and like you said, the lenses are monumentally different. The Dodge are stumpy, there are a lot of choices out there
      sigpic

Comment

Great progress. Someday, I wanna ride! As for tail lights, especially on a CE...some of the "coolest" I ever saw was on the late Bob Yale's Red '37 CE. A pair of fully functional Wig-Wag lanterns. Perhaps someone here has a pic they could post.
        John Clary
        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I really like these particular taillights as I said, they seem to match the headlight buckets nicely and after looking for sometime now, I settled on them. Truck is progressing good, a lot of parts for the bed I need (floor) I wont have until after Bob Peterson gets back from South Bend, he's gonna pick up some parts for me there and my new "Glide" seat,(bench) should be here in 2 more weeks so we can start thinking interior, I wish I would be finished for the International but surely I can make next years with both trucks---
          sigpic

Comment

Those lights will look great on your truck. One of my pet peeves is vehicles where the tail lights look like an afterthought conceived when the builder was in a hurry to finish the project. IMHO Cheap trailer lights are the worst examples.
            "In the heart of Arkansas."
            Searcy, Arkansas
            1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
            1952 2R pickup

Comment

Name:	image.jpg
Size:	10.4 KB
ID:	1712904Here is a photo of the wig-wag taillight on my '37 Coupe-Express. I'd post a video of it working (all lit up and the lantern swinging back and forth), but I have enough trouble just posting regular photos. I also used passenger car taillights on the fenders and used the original taillight bracket simply as a license plate holder. Tom

Comment

Wow Tom,

that is a pretty sweet set up, while I liked the passenger car taillights, I find them to be too small for driving out here in Cali. People not only almost run you over "gawking," I find that having those nice bright LED"S out back make all the difference in the world, that was my reasoning for grafting the two together. These Chrysler taillights were expensive but I noticed one Wig-Wag taillight on Ebay and it was $850 and one Chrysler like mine for $380.... whew! nice Truck
                Last edited by StudebakerGene; 03-14-2017, 07:25 AM.
                sigpic

Comment

Lights on

Name:	lights on.jpg
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	1712905

I couldn't wait last night to get them burning, took a while to upload the photo this A.M., I think my computer is fixing to "throw a Rod." I think these will work fine, I'm sure its not what the original designers figured but what the hell. I moved the license plate up even with the bed floor after installing the roll pan as well, now a little weld up where the old lights were and there you have it. Cleaned up the back real nice and since I'm not going to run a rear bumper, this is one step closer to finishing up!
                  Last edited by StudebakerGene; 03-14-2017, 07:58 AM.
                  sigpic

Comment

There were at least two wig-wags for sale at York last weekend.
                    Brad Johnson,
                    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Great pic of the CoupeX next to the Ford!

Dick Steinkamp
                      Bellingham, WA

Comment

That f150 is a monster compared to the coupe express .. Ugh !!
                        Love my Lark

Comment

Originally posted by Jett289 View Post
                          That f150 is a monster compared to the coupe express .. Ugh !!
                          Ain't it great! I love the picture. Although the CE is modified, it retains its unmistakable identity.

The F-150 demonstrates how far the lowly little pickup has evolved to the universal "can do it all" vehicle that was basically a little "niche" market offering that began in the "Art Deco" era.
                          John Clary
                          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
                            Ain't it great! I love the picture. Although the CE is modified, it retains its unmistakable identity.
                            I believe the F150 has also been modified.

Craig

Comment

The F150 is actually a "Raptor" and it is bone stock except for the motor... (fuel injectors, throttle body, air intake) and while I love driving the Raptor, nothing puts a smile on my face like the C.E. does, I swear people love this truck to death, it really makes it all worthwhile when they ask what it is and you tell them Studebaker, I always wait for the jaw to drop---
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X