Starlight Studebaker came through with a nice 1963 Daytona interior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starlight Studebaker came through with a nice 1963 Daytona interior

Received seat covers and a center console cover from Will of Starlight Studebaker last week. I am very pleased, the covers look great! I basically just wanted to share a photo of them.
    This is for a 1963 Daytona hardtop project that I purchased from Merv Mundorf of Colorado, about four or five years ago. I may try to install them myself as I've purchased hog rings and a hog ring plier. Any installation advice?

Here is a link to the photo in case it doesn't appear. https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...ppVDdUcnNYdFdB
    sigpic
    In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Sweet! I should call Will & see if he has the same color for my Cruiser w/ split bench front seat & maybe even the seats for the 59 wagon! (I can dream for the wagon stuff can't I?)
    59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
    60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
    61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
    62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
    62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
    62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
    63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
    63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
    64 Zip Van
    66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
    66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Love the Lark bird emblem embossed in the rear seat back.
      I purchased an interior for my 1963 Wagonaire from Newman & Altman many years ago. And purchased an interior for my 64-5 Wagonaire from Will last year. Only advice I can offer is to place them in the sun and warm them up so they will go on easier.
      sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
      Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
      "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

I attempted to install my own seat covers on front buckets of my 64 Daytona, which look like similar material to the covers you have. After three hours of trying to fit one of the top covers I gave in and called a local upholstery shop. Thread Baron in Andover installed the covers on my two buckets for around $350 and it took him less than two weeks to do the four buckets seats that I brought him. The gentleman that did the work has been in the upholstery business for quite a while and said that those were the toughest covers that he has ever installed. I was pretty happy with the result.

Nick

Comment

Originally posted by 61Lark View Post
          I attempted to install my own seat covers on front buckets of my 64 Daytona, which look like similar material to the covers you have. After three hours of trying to fit one of the top covers I gave in and called a local upholstery shop. Thread Baron in Andover installed the covers on my two buckets for around $350 and it took him less than two weeks to do the four buckets seats that I brought him. The gentleman that did the work has been in the upholstery business for quite a while and said that those were the toughest covers that he has ever installed. I was pretty happy with the result.

Nick
          Yeah..... After spending this much time and money preparing for the installation.... Remember that the only thing you see on the finished product is the paint and the upholstery. It should be done right.
          sals54

Comment

Installation (based on my abilities) advice: hire a professional.
            Originally posted by Milaca View Post
            Received seat covers and a center console cover from Will of Starlight Studebaker last week. I am very pleased, the covers look great! I basically just wanted to share a photo of them.
            This is for a 1963 Daytona hardtop project that I purchased from Merv Mundorf of Colorado, about four or five years ago. I may try to install them myself as I've purchased hog rings and a hog ring plier. Any installation advice?

Here is a link to the photo in case it doesn't appear. https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...ppVDdUcnNYdFdB
            Lou Van Anne
            62 Champ
            64 R2 GT Hawk
            79 Avanti II

Comment

They are definitely a tight fit.
              Seem to remember the 63 being tighter than the 64.
              I also took my 63 seats and NOS covers to my local upholstery shop.
              After a bit he called me to come pick them up as he couldn't get them on.
              I don't think he tried very hard to be honest.
              I waited for a warm day and placed the covers in the sun for a while.
              They became much more pliable and I was able to do it myself.
              sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
              Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
              "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

Was told once long ago to put a garbage over the seat back or bucket uprights. makes it easier to slip on, then pull or tear plastic out.
                Kim

Comment

Originally posted by kamzack View Post
                  Was told once long ago to put a garbage over the seat back or bucket uprights. makes it easier to slip on, then pull or tear plastic out.
                  Kim
                  Yep, that's exactly how the Model A upholstery lady told us to do it if we want to do our own.

Comment

go to a pro.... you might be sorry if you don't. think about it: 60 year old vinyl ?

Comment

glad to see you are doing something with that very nice daytona. have you done anything with the trucks?
                      merv
                      mervyn mundorf
                      63 avanti r2 4speed
                      83 avanti 20th ann
                      64 gt hawk r1 4speed
                      and others

Comment

I couldn't be happier with the complete set I get from Starlight, (Will) for my 65 Cruiser. Just arrived over the weekend. Split bench seats, rear seat, door panels, pillar and post boards, headrests, and more. Unbelievable beauty. I felt in a time warp. There is nothing nicer than having a great interior to complement the car.

Comment

Looks good! I'm picking up a NOS seat cover set in red for my '59 truck from Will in May. We Stude guys are lucky in that SO MANY factory NOS parts are available for our cars and trucks.

Comment

Originally posted by merv View Post
                            glad to see you are doing something with that very nice daytona. have you done anything with the trucks?
                            merv
                            Hi Merv,
                            I've been busy with the Daytona, engine rebuilding, brakes, etc. As for the Champs, I drove the rollover Champ into my shed and parked it and the other is parked on my lawn. I hope to have the Daytona in South Bend this spring for the big meet, but I have a long way to go. Do you plan to attend the meet?
                            sigpic
                            In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

i don't think i will make south bend this year maybe someday though
                              merv
                              mervyn mundorf
                              63 avanti r2 4speed
                              83 avanti 20th ann
                              64 gt hawk r1 4speed
                              and others

Comment

Working...
                              X