Overdrive Solenoid Noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: Overdrive Solenoid Noise

Well guys here I am again asking for more information. I am trying to finish the wiring, (according to the diagram) in the 56 service manual. The car (56 Champion 2dr) before I got it had some wires added and some that were cut.

My question is on the overdrive solenoid, should I hear a clicking noise when I turn on the key? I had not heard it before I re-wired.

My next question is where can I find a wiring diagram that show an AMP Gauge not a AMP meter like in the service manual, or am I missing something.

My last electrical question at this time is: how do I check to see if the generator is doing it's job correctly?

I am trying to get my car ready enough to bring to meet in May.

I sure would like to meet some of you that have answered my (dumb) questions over the years.

should I hear a clicking noise when I turn on the key? NO if you're sure it is coming from the solenoid, you've got your wires wrong or something else is wrong (ground)

Comment

Amp meter, ammeter, and Amp Guage are all the same thing. Your car doesn't have one, just a Charge Indicator Lamp. Look closely at the wiring diagram and find the dotted lines. Ignore the ammeter and its wires.
      In the transmission section is a wiring diagram and troubleshooting guide for the overdrive.
      With key on-engine off charge light and oil pressure lights should be on. They should go out when the engine is started. The average hobbyist doesn't have the equipment to do a thorough charging system test, but can usually check the voltage output with a simple hand-held voltmeter.
      Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

If the battery voltage goes up a few tenths when you start the engine, then the generator is working. You can even test it with no equipment. Just shine your headlights on the garage door at night with the engine at fast idle, then turn the key off and let off the gas, and see if the lights dim slightly as the engine stops. If they do, then the generator was working.

BTW, you can buy a simple 0-15 VDC meter on ebay for less than $4 shipped to your mailbox. It's from China, and you just add a couple wires and clips.

Comment

Working...
        X