Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's amazing what some will pay, and just as amazing what some sellers think are primo rides!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's amazing what some will pay, and just as amazing what some sellers think are primo rides!

There is an early '64 Avanti on ebay now.......R-2.......missing lots of stuff under the hood, battery in the trunk, and rusted hog's..........yet the seller says......."minor rust" at the edges.

The car is up to 18K and has not reached the reserve.

Is the PT Barnum theory in effect here?

Originally posted by Hawklover View Post
    There is an early '64 Avanti on ebay now.......R-2.......missing lots of stuff under the hood, battery in the trunk, and rusted hog's..........yet the seller says......."minor rust" at the edges.

The car is up to 18K and has not reached the reserve.

Is the PT Barnum theory in effect here?
    Hard to tell..........without the link.
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
    Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

Originally posted by r1lark View Post
      Hard to tell..........without the link.

Comment

I guess it comes down to one's definition of "some" and "minor." Sadly a lot of people will see the car as 98% fine based on the rest of the visual appearance. They will never realize the task they lays ahead for such a repair.
        Attached Files
        '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

Originally posted by wittsend View Post
          Sadly a lot of people will see the car as 98% fine based on the rest of the visual appearance. They will never realize the task they lays ahead for such a repair.
          You mean like this '81 Lagonda on BaT? http://bringatrailer.com/listing/198...artin-lagonda/

Craig

Comment

Another shot that is missing is the drivers seat. Interesting when one considers the excellent pictures of the rest of the interior.

If the frame is in good shape then the hog troughs would add $3000 grand or so to the price. What makes the undercarriage shots interesting is the excellent condition of the rear crossmember which is not consistent with the condition of the hog troughs. Possibly replaced??!!

This one would require a good onsite inspection as it approaches this price range but if the HT's are the only downside, it's not out of it's price range. After all it is a round eyed, R2 4-speed apparently original car.

Comment

Well Bob, I "hate' that the battery is in the trunk, that the surge tank is missing, and so many small things that me eye caught. To replace the hogs....3k is cheap...around here it's like 5-6K ....you are correct a fine tooth-comb needs to go over the car
              Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post
              Another shot that is missing is the drivers seat. Interesting when one considers the excellent pictures of the rest of the interior.

If the frame is in good shape then the hog troughs would add $3000 grand or so to the price. What makes the undercarriage shots interesting is the excellent condition of the rear crossmember which is not consistent with the condition of the hog troughs. Possibly replaced??!!

This one would require a good onsite inspection as it approaches this price range but if the HT's are the only downside, it's not out of it's price range. After all it is a round eyed, R2 4-speed apparently original car.

Comment

I think the title of this post is out of line. It is always buyer beware. This could be a good car, but all cars require a good look. So a few things are wrong. Almost all cars I've seen are not perfect. However, I have awarded one 400 point car a well-deserved trophy.

On the good side, it has excellent curb appeal, the R2 motor has been rebuilt, 2 owner, no cracked dash that I can see, and for $18K it may be a steal.

Don't pick apart other people's cars.

Comment

Excuse me, but until one actually can inspect this or any other car, then I see nothing wrong with as you say "picking apart other peoples cars" Since it's my potential cash that will win me this car, I have every right to pick and express my thoughts, now if you want to purchase the car for me, well then, I'll keep my mouth shut and wait for the title to be delivered to my attorney. So I guess you are taking as "gospel" every thing the owner states in the ad......hmm, ever hear of the word "embellishment"?....
                  Originally posted by 55s View Post
                  I think the title of this post is out of line. It is always buyer beware. This could be a good car, but all cars require a good look. So a few things are wrong. Almost all cars I've seen are not perfect. However, I have awarded one 400 point car a well-deserved trophy.

On the good side, it has excellent curb appeal, the R2 motor has been rebuilt, 2 owner, no cracked dash that I can see, and for $18K it may be a steal.

Comment

Originally posted by 55s View Post

While I would agree not to pick apart people's posted cars, once it goes up for sale, all bets are off. A car for sale is always subject to heavy scrutiny. This is how potential buyers get educated. Not all have the collected knowledge of all the folks here. We see things many others don't, and have experience that most buyers simply don't have the time to collect. Nit-picking cars for sale is actually a terrific service we offer.
                    sals54

Comment

Originally posted by sals54 View Post
                      Nit-picking cars for sale is actually a terrific service we offer.
                      I would counter that nit picking seems to be a favorite past time here and is not limited to cars. I make liberal use of the Ignore button to eliminate the most egregious offenders.
                      Last edited by Guido; 03-12-2017, 08:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Guido View Post
                        I would counter that nit picking seems to be a favorite past time here and is not limited to cars. I make liberal use of the Ignore. It tonight to Eli
                        I ate the most egregious offenders.
                        With a nice chianti and fava beans?
                        Bez Auto Alchemy
                        573-318-8948
                        http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
                          With a nice chianti and fava beans?
                          Gave up drinking but perhaps chips and salsa would be good. Just proves "smart" phones really aren't, I have fixed what was apparently auto corrected. As an aside, I have been working on my black bean brownie recipe and have made a several good batches recently.

Comment

VERY interesting Avanti!....Factory four speed R-2's are definitely the ones to own....and this one has been looked after over the years.

As long as the rear frame is solid, this car shows much potential.....The hog trough issue is really such a minor thing if the perspective owner can do some of the work himself!

By the way, moving that enormous old 3EE battery out of the engine room and into the trunk was an extremely good idea. ....I LIKE THIS AVANTI!

Comment

I love your "if the owner does the work himself".........big assumption:-( Every Studebaker Avanti is "the one to own" indeed years ago while in Miami I routinely was able to beat a friends R2 off the line up to about 60....(think Richard Poe) But that is tangential to the subject at hand......battery in the trunk?.....never liked the idea.....small enough as it is for luggage when traveling, let alone battery acid. Like many others I prefer to own cars like the factory built them. And you will never know the car until it is closely inspected
                              Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                              VERY interesting Avanti!....Factory four speed R-2's are definitely the ones to own....and this one has been looked after over the years.

As long as the rear frame is solid, this car shows much potential.....The hog trough issue is really such a minor thing if the perspective owner can do some of the work himself!

By the way, moving that enormous old 3EE battery out of the engine room and into the trunk was an extremely good idea. ....I LIKE THIS AVANTI!

Comment

Working...
                              X