Joe Granatelli Avanti

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joe Granatelli Avanti

Does anyone know where the Joe Granatelli Avanti resides nowadays? It is the 1963 or 64 Avanti, Joe put a Caddy 429 motor in, during the mid-1960s. Would like to hear of an update on it, if anyone knows.
    Thanks

It was for sale in Chicago a few years ago, about the time of the St.Louis meet. It has been sold, but I haven't heard any more bout it.
    Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948
    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Very interesting Avanti!...I wonder if the engine overheating issue was an internal engine problem, or that the radiator simply wasn't big enough to cool 429 (?) CI?

Comment

7-6-15 and a few names to track down. http://www.spokesman.com/blogs/autos...ac-resurfaces/

Bob

Comment

Bob L, Your reflexes are quicker,

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
            Very interesting Avanti!...I wonder if the engine overheating issue was an internal engine problem, or that the radiator simply wasn't big enough to cool 429 (?) CI?
            The owner I talked to in the mid 1980s said everything under the sun had been tried to cool it down, by several people who supposedly knew what they were doing, all to no avail. I heard the same story a few years later about a 429 Caddy powered 62GT. That was at the SDC Meet in Nashville around 1990. I spent several days vending beside the owner, who described extensive efforts to cool it down, to no avail. Then a couple of years later I read a few articles by that guy, bragging about all the miles he had put on that Caddy powered GT. Later, I found out the guy was a total BS artist, so have no idea if it was ever cooled down or not.

So there appears to be challenges to cooling a 429 in a Stude, but I really do not understand why, especially in a Hawk.

Comment

Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post
              7-6-15 and a few names to track down. http://www.spokesman.com/blogs/autos...ac-resurfaces/

Bob
              Yep, that's the car I saw, and the color it was in the mid 1980s, but it was in very nice condition back then. I do not recall those seats, but who knows.

Thanks Bob, it was nice seeing the car again

Comment

Looking at the picture, a modern radiator would be a decent starting place.

Comment

Originally posted by Xcalibur View Post
                  Looking at the picture, a modern radiator would be a decent starting place.
                  They cooled 400 SBC's with A/C installed in the 70's so why not a 429 Cad. Agree

Comment

Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post
                    They cooled 400 SBC's with A/C installed in the 70's so why not a 429 Cad. Agree
                    I do not understand the overheating issue wither, but thought it odd that two different folks, with two different Studes, both had heat problems with the Caddy 429. Does the Caddy 429 have a history of being prone to running hot in Caddies? I once owned a 67 Eldorado, and believe it was a 427 or 429, but do not recall any heat problems. Then too, I wonder if either of the Stude folks had hopped up their 429. That could be a factor.

I simply dunno. Its just memories anyway, and I am not planning a 429 swap, that's for sure.

Comment

I think the car is in Ohio getting a full restoration

Denny L

Comment

Ray Cash's Oldsmobile engine, which he swapped for the ruined R4 he was running in his '63 Avanti, had about the same (or more CI) as the Caddy, and as far as I know Ray had no problem using an original Studebaker Avanti radiator to cool that bid Olds.

Comment

Is that the swap pictured on an engine swap book cover? (Olds Big Block for an R4?)
                          Bill

Comment

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
                            I do not understand the overheating issue wither, but thought it odd that two different folks, with two different Studes, both had heat problems with the Caddy 429. I simply dunno. Its just memories anyway, and I am not planning a 429 swap, that's for sure.
                            Me either. I'd use the 500!! I don't know of any unusual cooling issues historically with those Cad engines but looking at the pictures again and recalling what Xcaliber said, a better/newer radiator and a fan shroud would be a good start. IIRC, Avantis were not the most cooling friendly design but a clean system with a good water pump, top notch radiator and an efficient fan/shroud assembly should get one going. I've been wrapping my pipes in DEI header wrap and that does a lot to help reduce heat in the engine compartment. I also like to run my engines hot, 190 or so. I don't know what effect it has en-toto but my modified SBC's will run all day at 90 degrees outside with no heat issues at under 200 deg on the gauge in my 39 carbed Ford and 83 Avanti.

The 83 is fine because of the Holley EFI. We'll see about the 74 Avanti with the 383 stroker when it's on the road. It does have a rear mounted pump with insulated lines to the carb. We see about vapor lock then as I don't think overheating will be an issue based on my previous experience.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
                              Does anyone know where the Joe Granatelli Avanti resides nowadays? It is the 1963 or 64 Avanti, Joe put a Caddy 429 motor in, during the mid-1960s. Would like to hear of an update on it, if anyone knows.
                              Thanks
                              I think this Avanti with the Caddilac engine is owned by Jon Myer.
                              Lew Schucart
                              Editor, Avanti Magazine

Comment

Working...
                              X