Lark Designation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lark Designation

Here's a question for you why do people insist on calling the 64-66 cars "Larks" when the last Lark was built in 1963 ????? Check out the parts swap page if you don't believe me .

O Fart

Because 95 percent of the parts used on the 1964 models were shared with the 1963 Larks? At least they aren't being referred to as Ramblers!
    sigpic
    In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Perhaps because it's easier than saying "Challenger, Commander, Daytona, Cruiser, or Wagonaire." I use the term "Lark-type."
      -Dwight

Comment

They should all be banished from Studebakerdom until they have learned all the rules and make a solemn pledge to obey them.
        American iron, real old school
        With two tone paint, it sure is cool

Its got 8 cylinders and uses them all
        With an overdrive that just won't stall

With a 4 barrel carb and dual exhausts
        With 4.23 gears it can really get lost

Its got safety belts and I ain't scared
        The brakes are good and the tires are fair.

Tried to sell her, but got no taker
        I"ll just keep driving my Studebaker

Comment

Oh we know. It's just not worth losing sleep over. More often referred to as "Lark types."
          Proper nomenclature avoids occasional misunderstandings but, for the most part, we know when someone refers to an automobile earlier than 1962 as a Champ, they are referring to the small flathead Champion, and not a T-cab Champ pickup truck; and the larger Six after 1934 is NOT the "Big Six", but the Commander Six.
          So, to answer your query, no one "insists" on mislabeling. Studebaker just existed for such an amazing duration it is difficult for all interested parties to acquaint themselves with all the model transfigurations.
          In this context, Lark type is not incorrect.
          Brad Johnson,
          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I've gotten tired of correcting folks who call my 64-65 Wagonaire a Lark.
            I just let them think they know something.
            sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
            Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
            "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

'64 Challenger 2 and 4 door sedans had a Lark emblem on the side of roof.

Comment

Lark, shmark.......as long as it's acknowledged as a Studebaker!

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
                  Oh we know. It's just not worth losing sleep over. More often referred to as "Lark types."
                  Proper nomenclature avoids occasional misunderstandings but, for the most part, we know when someone refers to an automobile earlier than 1962 as a Champ, they are referring to the small flathead Champion, and not a T-cab Champ pickup truck;/Cut/
                  OPPS, make that trivial. not important comparison a "Earlier Than 1960 Champ"!
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I believe that since those cars carried "model names and trim levels in the past"-63 Lark Daytona, the instinct is to call them Larks. Just because Studebaker wanted to go back to 40s and 50s designations didn't mean it worked or was accepted by the public. I was around then, my Dad loved Studes, owned 5 of them, I drove a 63 GT in college, and we called them LARKS in 65 and 66, to differentiate them from the Hawks and Avantis-that were still common and around us, the "model" of the LARK only mattered when you were looking at one, or buying one for the different trims.

Comment

Most all the Stude. owners (SDC Members) I have personally known or met, just called the '64 to '66's what they ARE!

A:

Challenger
                      Commander
                      Daytona
                      Cruiser
                      Gran Turismo or (GT) Hawk
                      Avanti
                      Champ
                      Transtar
                      OR a Zip Van

A Wagonaire is either a Challenger (in the U.S.) a Commander or a Daytona.
                      All of course, in only the years between '64 and '66 that they were produced.
                      Last edited by StudeRich; 03-09-2017, 11:30 AM.
                      StudeRich
                      Second Generation Stude Driver,
                      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I chuckle at the misuse of the term big six by people who only have knowledge of pw cars. That really does present a communication problem when everyone should be aware that there really was a pw "Big Six" model. Freely admit, until Rich clued me in, I didn't know that all long wheel based Lark type 60's cars were not Cruisers. I'm still more then a bit fuzzy about the differences when I see one, so I just refer to them as 64-66 Lark type. That at least gets me in the ball park, and I find that most all Stude people know what I'm talking about.

Comment

Hi Ho as Milaca says as long as I don't hear what year of Ra----- any more I'll be just fine and greyben has a good point as well . At least this proves one thing our members have varied opinions .

O Fart

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                            Most all the Stude. owners (SDC Members) I have personally known or met, just called the '64 to '66's what they ARE!

A:

Challenger
                            Commander
                            Daytona
                            Cruiser
                            Gran Turismo or (GT) Hawk
                            Avanti
                            Champ
                            Transtar
                            OR a Zip Van

A Wagonaire is either a Challenger (in the U.S.) a Commander or a Daytona.
                            All of course, in only the years between '64 and '66 that they were produced.
                            Exactly. Although it was just a "Wagonaire" for 1966.

Comment

Some previous threads on it: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...were-NOT-Larks

Craig

Comment

Working...
                              X