Trunk Padding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trunk Padding

Has anyone ever attempted to replace the tar paper-like material that is in between the trunk lid outer and inner skins? Rats have chewed mine up pretty good. I guess it is there for sound deadening. It would need to be replaced in pieces since there is no easy way to instal it in one piece. Otherwise I might just pull it all out.

There is a spray on sound deadener that works well .
    For maximum car sound dampening performance, coat the car's entire interior surface and floor, inside and out with LizardSkin Sound Control.
    Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948
    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

I've also wondered what would make a good similar sound pad. Something like a very thick tar paper, but I don't know of any such product.

Comment

Agreed, and how would you get the tar paper in the trunk deck? Bez might have a good idea about spraying something in there.

Click image for larger version

Name:	trunk2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	1712806Click image for larger version

Name:	51062651799__508E6035-5E40-4CC9-A2F4-D61100205FF5.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	114.0 KB
ID:	1712807

Comment

I seem to be acquiring more trunk padding as I age.
          Ed Sallia
          Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Originally posted by abkco View Post
            Agreed, and how would you get the tar paper in the trunk deck? Bez might have a good idea about spraying something in there.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]62665[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]62666[/ATTACH]
            That sounds like a good idea.
            How about filling the void with non expanding foam, then after you level it and let it set up you could spray a light coat of 3M Rubberized Undercoating on it.

Comment

I think I might try that,TW. The cardboard tar paper is pretty fragile. I'll try to repair it first. If it starts to fall apart, I'll pull it all out and spray the inner lid with the 3M material.

Comment

Be careful removing that padding. Remember it has been assembled along with the outer skin. Removing it where it is right between the two panels will probably create a gap where they will then rattle. I would gently cut out the visible areas & use either the 3M material or Lizard Skin. That should retain any of the padding in the unseen areas.
                59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                64 Zip Van
                66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Once apon a time... when I was restoring cars for a living (concourse restoration), we would pull all the old tar paper out and do all the body and paint work. When all was said and done, we would cut #30 roofing felt about 1/2" oversize all the way around the shape of the "windows". Then wiggle them into position using wet contact adhesive to hold the pieces in place.

Sometimes the skin and the inner panel have a good sized gap and you can fish a big piece in there without any problems. And sometimes it is a complete and total pain in the...

Oh yeah, don't forget to keep all of the grain in the paper aligned so that it looks like a continuous piece under there!! I don't miss this part at all!!

It's your car, do It however you want, just enjoy the adventure and drive it when it's done. After all, that is what it was built for.

Comment

Surprised that restorations didn't use insulation mats, all you had to do, was de-skin the trunk lid, and doors, scrape off the old stuff adhere the asphalt sheets after cutting to pattern, reattach the skins. Joking aside, there used to be self adhesive sheets that we peeled clear poly off of to put on door skins we were replacing and trunk floors etc., to "re-create" the factory appearance. I think masking and spraying on textured under coat, and painting over it is good enough.

Comment

Yes, all good ideas. I didn't think about removing it all and creating new rattles. Sounds smart to cut around the holes and leave the rest in, if possible, and spray around.

Comment

Originally posted by 63R1388 View Post
                        When all was said and done, we would cut #30 roofing felt about 1/2" oversize all the way around the shape of the "windows". Then wiggle them into position using wet contact adhesive to hold the pieces in place.
                        That is exactly what I would do for a 'concours' restoration.

Craig

Comment

Working...
                        X