PDA

View Full Version : Shrock Bros Steering Wheels (Quality Question)

wdills
03-07-2017, 07:52 PM
The steering wheel on Dad's Champion is pretty broken up. The metal core seems to be intact, just the plastic is broken. I am guessing that finding a NOS one would be next to impossible, so I am considering getting the Shrock Bros to redo it. Can anyone give me any feedback on the quality and finish of their refinished steering wheels?

reichsrundfunk
03-07-2017, 07:55 PM
I had them do a steering wheel for a 51 Land Cruiser I had back in 2009. If was absolutely perfect. High quality and you'd think it was OEM. Go for it!

George

57pack
03-07-2017, 08:10 PM
Never heard a bad word about them.

StudeRich
03-07-2017, 08:14 PM
Whether or not you could find a Good or NOS Wheel depends on what YEAR the Champion is, a '57 to '60 Wheel would be a match if it is a '57 or '58 and they ARE out there! :)

Gary1953
03-07-2017, 10:09 PM
They built a new steering wheel for me a couple of years ago. It is perfect. I am very happy with the wheel.
I don't think you will be disappointed.

Scott
03-07-2017, 10:51 PM
Well, I know of a 51 Champion Starlight coupe for sale here in Oregon. Engine and transmission are out (owner was going to rebuild the 185 (YES a correct replacement later 185)). It's a project car $2000 including extra parts and an NOS steering wheel.

58 Hawk
03-08-2017, 06:16 AM
I have known David and Tom Shrock for years and their work is very professional with excellent quality and focus on detail
Highly recommend them steering wheel restoration as well reproduction of other Studebaker parts.

5brown1
03-08-2017, 06:50 AM
I agree - very nice, as all their products I have purchased are.

jclary
03-08-2017, 07:14 AM
My take. All plastics "out-gas" some of their chemical compounds that give them flexibility. Early plastic makeup was not very stable, and there are examples of it even in protected environments of museums where it is warped, drawn, & distorted. Since your Studebaker (pick any model) was built, there have been decades of research improving the performance of plastic when exposed to harsh environmental forces (UV rays, huge temperature cycles, sweaty hands, & flexing.)

From what I've seen of the Schrocks, and their work, I'd be surprised if they are using "old plastic technology" in their restorations. After resisting buying one of their steering wheels for years, I finally cast off my "CASO" label for a brief moment, and forked over the cash (along with a core exchange) and bought one of their replacement 1951 Land Cruiser Steering wheels. It is now the "focal point" of that elegant old sedan!

If you place an NOS steering wheel on your column, even if it looks great now, it will still be old, more brittle, and likely to distort, warp, and crack. If you can spring for the cost, you can concentrate on other "upkeep" needs, without fretting and having to constantly worry & fret about a delicate steering wheel.

wdills
03-08-2017, 07:58 AM
I neglected to say 50 Champion. Thanks for all the feedback. Unless I get lucky and find a NOS piece at York, I guess I will be sending them what is left of ours.

TWChamp
03-08-2017, 08:22 AM
What trim level is your 1950 Champion?
They have at least 2 different steering wheels.

53commander
03-08-2017, 11:45 AM
I neglected to say 50 Champion. Thanks for all the feedback. Unless I get lucky and find a NOS piece at York, I guess I will be sending them what is left of ours.

They have had a spot at York in the past with a nice display of wheels. Very good quality IMO. Not sure if they are there this time maybe someone can confirm? It would save some shipping if you brought your core with you.

Sdude
03-08-2017, 01:02 PM
Bought one for my 49 R series truck. It is beautiful and I didn't think it was that expensive.

rockne10
03-08-2017, 07:38 PM
Rest assured, it is impossible to be disappointed with the quality of their work. Bring your core with you to York.

packard352
03-09-2017, 03:37 AM
I bought a white steering wheel from Shrock Bros, for my 56J - never regretted paying over the money!6267762678

61LaRk4dr
03-09-2017, 10:05 AM
Just recently purchased a 1941 Champion Banjo steering wheel from them to replace the cracked and brittle one out of my M-5. Very nice quality, I would highly recommend them!

1954khardtop
03-09-2017, 04:39 PM
Shrock Bro.s redid mine, not cheap but worth every penny in my opinion. They also cast a knob set for me with the same color plastic.

larkregal62
03-09-2017, 06:49 PM
They are absolutely the best IMHO, you will absolutely NOT be disappointed with the product. If you know someone who you trust who is at York, have them check their display. All their products are absolutely the best quality available anywhere. Gordon

wdills
03-10-2017, 06:17 PM
Shock Brothers did have a display at York. They had a 50 Champion wheel that was perfect. Luckily I had my core with me so I was able to get a new wheel while I was there.

You folks were right. Their products are superb. Very happy with the wheel.

tim333
03-10-2017, 09:39 PM
What was the price for your 50 wheel?

52-fan
03-11-2017, 10:48 AM
When a friend told me how much he paid for his steering wheel from them, I knew it would be a long time before one made it to my house. :(
But my wheel is in pretty good shape.

wdills
03-11-2017, 05:55 PM
$650 with core exchange.

jclary
03-11-2017, 06:33 PM
$650 with core exchange.

Anyone know what your late model steering wheel would cost to replace? You know, those vinyl/leather clad ho hum round things with the clunky air bags, and some vaguely defined place you are supposed to push for the horn? I have no clue, but if Toyota wants $450 bucks to replace a trunk latch, I'd hate to think what a steering wheel, with air bag, stereo controls, and cruise controls built in to it would cost to replace.

I'm not trying to disparage anyone's remarks, but truly would like to know. I resisted paying the price for certain things for years. Then, as I sold supplies/tooling, and gained a lot of experience in all kinds of processes in manufacturing, I began to understand why many things cost what they do, just to break even, let alone turn a profit. To me, what the Schrocks do, at such low volume, is remarkable. Same for our other vendors who take the risks, invest in reproduction items, and offer them for sale.

I have a couple of general vintage parts supply catalogs. (Kanter, Northern Automotive) and others. You will see tons of offerings for SBC engine parts, mopar, GM, Ford, etc. For these folks, you never see many listings for Studebaker items. Sometimes, it seems that they offer more for other smaller orphan makes than Studebaker. I think it is because our Studebaker vendors do such a good job, it keeps the general suppliers from attempting to compete. We are fortunate to have the dedicated vendor group we have.

It all boils down to effort and reward. Some things you can dicker over, and others must have a substantial price to make the effort rewarding. Just that simple.

bmslrs
05-05-2017, 05:02 PM
I had mine done by them and it turned out awesome.

TX Rebel
05-07-2017, 10:39 AM
I could have saved you some $$ if you had asked. I just sold an NOS one at SB on Friday, but it was not the nice carmel plastic, just the painted black rubber type
You will be very pleased with Shrock's quality & service, you will get what you pay for(just like our plating work)

bruin
06-03-2017, 09:36 PM
I bought he same steering wheel Packard 352 has and I am very happy with it. I'm surprised they never asked me for a core?

rockne10
06-04-2017, 02:31 PM
I'm surprised they never asked me for a core?I'm pretty sure they will pay $25-$50 for a good core, depending on scarcity. If a plethora are availability perhaps it's not an issue.