Clear All

• 58 commander starlight value?

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170226_150443.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	1753634

Hi guys

I went and looked at a collection of studebakers yesterday that a family is going to sell. most are parts cars but the starlight is a nice car that has an R1 in place of the stock 259. Car was on the road 5 years ago. Floors have some rust through and had metal welded overtop of the original floors. The rear fins are missing. Any idea what the car would be worth?

Thanks

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170226_150437.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	1712675

Another pic

Comment

Looks very GOOD and quite rust free (Clue: rear of front fenders).

As always it is worth what the Seller and Buyer can agree on, and it varies a LOT.

On these Hardtops it is a Big Plus to have Nice Door Panels, Ok Seats etc. The Tops of the Door Panels are special and unique to Hardtops with the padded, vinyl covered arm Pads, and they do get Sun baked.

If I had to guess I'd say in the $6-10,000.00 area if it runs OK. Find out if the Standard Flight-O-Matic 3 Speed Auto. was kept or if it has a H.D. Unit with the Cooling lines to the Radiator or a Oil Cooler ALA Jet Thrust/Avanti.

Looks like the Original Waterfall Blue and Parchment White or a close repaint.
      Is it a "JT" Serial Number Block?
      Last edited by StudeRich; 02-27-2017, 05:16 PM.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

The interior is in decent shape. Needs carpet but seats and door panels are nice. Car was priced way below 6k to me. I'm not a big fan of the 58 but was interested in it just because it's an oddball and I'd like to put the R1 in the cruiser I have.

Comment

Originally posted by jwitt View Post
          The interior is in decent shape. Needs carpet but seats and door panels are nice. Car was priced way below 6k to me. I'm not a big fan of the 58 but was interested in it just because it's an oddball and I'd like to put the R1 in the cruiser I have.
          Seems like a match made in heaven, exchange engines with the cruiser, resell the 58 with the cruiser engine in it. Write off any loss as the cost of the R1.

Comment

Can,t help on value,but what a nice car to do up a bit "and has to be one of the fastest 58 HTs around with the R1"
            Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

If I didn't have my 57 Clipper wagon project going, I'd buy that hardtop!
              sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
              Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
              "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

I think if you don't really like the car, its not for you. Flipping a 58' might very well be one of the toughest flips in Studedom. There might be real fans out there... but they probably have a coup[le of them already. Remember, the 56-58's were dogs up until a few years ago when they were on the cheap...definitely one of the most comfortable driving cars of the era..

Comment

I'm guessing the original engine went for scrap a long time ago...
                  Richard
                  sigpic

Comment

I know that car! I've driven that car! At the time, it was located in Colfax NC and the older guy that owned it was talking about selling it. This was probably 20 - 25 years ago. It's probably been painted since then, since there was at least surface rust at the bottom of the fins at that time. The car disappeared a few years later from the carport where it was stored. Always have kicked myself for not buying that car, it ran strong.
                    Paul
                    Winston-Salem, NC
                    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
                    Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

so is there a price on it or is it open to best offer?

Comment

Studebaker International shows they have the rear fins.
                        sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
                        Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
                        "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

If I had not just signed a contract on a house today, I would be headed down I-81 to talk you out of it.

Comment

I'm going to pick it up Sunday along with a 63 Wagonaire parts/ project car and a 64 cruiser parts car. There are others there as well. There is a solid 41 champion 4 Dr I'm a barn with a silver hawk shell. A couple 56 or 57 presidents, a 62 gt hawk parts car, 9 or 10 62/63 larks 51 starlight cp parts car. There's a 49 2r16a that's pretty solid still has the commander engine. There's also an 88 avanti 2 that I'm not sure if it's for sale. And a 63 avanti that the family is keeping.

Comment

Working...
                            X