Steering box needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering box needed

Looking for a good ross steering box or a saginaw replacement for my 1956 hawk Thank you, Bob

For 56' Ross was a manual box only, but can be fitted with a later Bendix (hang-on) type (59 & later) The 56' Saginaw was the available Power Steering system, many parts specific to either sedan or coupe, etc. It's a large heavy system. The York Swapmeet is coming up in March. You could probably find either one there..
    64 GT Hawk (K7)
    1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Try and find a Saginaw box off of a '56 Champion c/k and it will be a big improvement plus it can be rebuilt while the Ross cannot...

Comment

Originally posted by GrumpyOne View Post
        Try and find a Saginaw box off of a '56 Champion c/k and it will be a big improvement plus it can be rebuilt while the Ross cannot...
        Why can't the Ross unit be rebuilt?
        Bo

Comment

I believe I still have the Ross box off a 58 4-door. I'll look for it if is the same as the 56 and add a picture. Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Bo Markham View Post
            Why can't the Ross unit be rebuilt?
            I take it that if Lars cannot, no one can. All '56 Power Hawks are afflicted with this issue. Don't ask me how I know...

Comment

Some 1955 & 56 V8 C&K cars built in Canada had the 53-56 'champion style' saginaw manual steering gearboxes....so yes, the factory used them on some V8 cars.

Comment

I take it that if Lars cannot, no one can. All '56 Power Hawks are afflicted with this issue. Don't ask me how I know...
                Despite the assumption, Lars is definitely not the end all to rebuilding, or restoring gear boxes. We've been doing this sort of work, continuously since 1939.
                Bo

Comment

I may be wrong, but I believe that the only problem with Ross boxes is limited to Avantis. Basically the problem is lack of parts availability. If there is a source for the internal parts such as the cam (worm gear) and follower arm i would be eternally grateful if this information could be shared.
                  78 Avanti RQB 2792
                  64 Avanti R1 R5408
                  63 Avanti R1 R4551
                  63 Avanti R1 R2281
                  62 GT Hawk V15949
                  56 GH 6032504
                  56 GH 6032588
                  55 Speedster 7160047
                  55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

Originally posted by 64studeavanti View Post
                    I may be wrong, but I believe that the only problem with Ross boxes is limited to Avantis. Basically the problem is lack of parts availability. If there is a source for the internal parts such as the cam (worm gear) and follower arm i would be eternally grateful if this information could be shared.

Lares rebuilds the Champ boxes which are essentially the same as the Avanti boxes (through Rock Auto).

RockAuto ships auto parts and body parts from over 300 manufacturers to customers' doors worldwide, all at warehouse prices. Easy to use parts catalog.

Comment

Drop me a note, I may be able to help you with an Avanti gear box.
                      Bo

Comment

IF it's a matter of a particular part that needs re-manufactured, I deal with a couple of excellent machine shops, and Dan is pretty willing to make just about "anything"

Jim
                        "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
                        their Memorials!

Comment

LOTS OF ROSS BOXES IN FORK TRUCKS, do some home work and you may find what you need. Luck Doofus

Comment

Bo, I have plenty of used. Do you have any NOS?

Doofus
                            I believe later Avantis did use fork lift boxes - so the rumor goes. In any case, the one on my 78 is quite different from the Stude ones.
                            78 Avanti RQB 2792
                            64 Avanti R1 R5408
                            63 Avanti R1 R4551
                            63 Avanti R1 R2281
                            62 GT Hawk V15949
                            56 GH 6032504
                            56 GH 6032588
                            55 Speedster 7160047
                            55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

Bo, I have plenty of used. Do you have any NOS?

Doofus
                              I believe later Avantis did use fork lift boxes - so the rumor goes. In any case, the one on my 78 is quite different from the Stude ones.

Yes to NOS. Fork lift boxes were used on certain Avanti II's.
                              Bo

Comment

Working...
                              X