Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

clutch change in a '63 Studebaker Lark, 6cylinder.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• clutch change in a '63 Studebaker Lark, 6cylinder.

Hi, I am new to Stiudebakers and am considering buying a "63 Lark that needs a clutch replaced. Any thing special that I need to know. I do not have Motors manual on cars of the sixites, I ahve changed clutches in Hudsons, a whole different story. I have done fors and chevies as well. Any help or advice will be appreciated. Thanks, Arnie

Welcome to the wonderful world of Studebakers, Arnie.

You should buy the shop manual AND the chassis parts book. The parts book has illustrations of all the parts, how they go together, along with part numbers and part names. The numerous Studebaker parts vendors use these part numbers.

Don't make the mistake that many newbies make. Don't make your first choice for improving the car by replacing the various systems in the car with those from other brands. Studebakers are well designed and only need to be rebuilt/refreshed to make a well driving, reliable car.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

I agree with Roy; having a shop manual may save HOURS of frustration when tackling a project on a different make of car!

Comment

The only thing I can think of that is different than Fords and Chevy's is the special Wear Plate and collar on the Throughout Bearing and the retainer spring that hooks to the wear plate, that MUST be installed correctly.

If you can figure out those weird Hudson Clutches, you should have no problem with a Lark 6.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

The parts & service manuals are available together in a cd for just over 20 bucks. Cheaper than buying the printed copies & you can print out what you need & not worry about getting it greasy. (also available at most Stude vendors......the cd, not the greasy pages.....LOL)
          59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
          60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
          61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
          62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
          62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
          62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
          63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
          63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
          64 Zip Van
          66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
          66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Working...
          X