Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How is parking brake handle supported under '56 Golden Hawk dash?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interior: How is parking brake handle supported under '56 Golden Hawk dash?

I just installed a '56 Golden Hawk dash in my '54 Commander Starlight coupe and I'm working out the kinks. I can probably rig up something, if necessary, but how is the parking brake handle supposed to be supported under the Golden Hawk fiberglass dash? Does it attach to some kind of bracket I don't have? If there is a bracket, what does it look like and where does it attach to the body?

Thanks,

Pete
    Pete R
    Woodbridge, VA
    1954 Studebaker Commander Regal Starlight Coupe with '62 289 and 4-speed
    1964 Studebaker Avanti R5083 R2 4-speed with 4.09:1 Twin Traction

Do you have the metal brace that runs from one side of the car to the other behind the dash at the bottom? This is where your steering column mounts to and hood cable, overdrive handle. and parking brake handle. It also supports the bottom of the dash. If i can I will get a picture of it as I have my dash out at the moment. Have been having issues with loading photos on here lately.

Comment

Ther also should be a block of hard wood as a spacer from the bottom of the metal dash brace to the top of the hand brake bracket.
      Bez Auto Alchemy
      573-318-8948
      http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

The '54 does not have a side-to-side brace. With the original metal dashboard, it wasn't necessary. I hadn't thought of that approach. Is that brace something I would be likely to find at a Stude swap meet like York? Or maybe I will have to fabricate it. I did notice the wooden spacer, 1540012, listed in the parts manual.
        Last edited by Pete R; 02-26-2017, 09:23 AM.
        Pete R
        Woodbridge, VA
        1954 Studebaker Commander Regal Starlight Coupe with '62 289 and 4-speed
        1964 Studebaker Avanti R5083 R2 4-speed with 4.09:1 Twin Traction

Comment

I would think it wouldn't be that hard to find. I may even have a extra one but will have to look.

Comment

My 62 GT has a wood block that is installed between metal cross brace and park brake t Handle. Suprised is factory.
            Hawkowner.

Comment

Have a couple lying about you can have for $10 plus shipping but should be able to get one close to home.

Comment

Working...
              X